Brown Stains On Lachenal Bone Buttons

My Lachenal has brown stains on its bone buttons, just like the buttons on the Lachenal Anglo that Chris Timson is selling.

That's just one of those things I've never much bothered about. But if I was bothered I'd start by trying naptha, AKA lighter fuel. That'll get the gunge off most things.

Chris

Edited by Chris Timson

:o Yes, Chris, but it is FLAMMABLE, hence a bit dangerous to use! I would suggest a household bleaching agent (Sodium Hyperchlorite) instead. It worked well for me, but you have to completely remove all the buttons first (what a task)! A common brand name in the US is "Clorox." Edited by Bill Keaveney

Yes, Chris, but it is FLAMMABLE, hence a bit dangerous to use!

Well, yes, it wouldn't be much use as lighter fuel otherwise. But like anything else that's inflammable you use elementary precautions, like not sitting next to a bonfire when you use it. It's just too useful for jobs where you need a solvent but don't want to strip off varnish or the surface of plastics etc. For instance, if you've ever had to clean the gunk left by Velcro off a concertina you'd be grateful for naphtha.

Chris

:o But you don't have to be sitting next to a bonfire for an accident to occur! I know personally of a friend who was using naptha to clean a military hat, and the "fumes" travelled all the way down a hallway to a furnace where they ignited and raced back to the hat in his hand!

Best to use imflammable fluids OUTSIDE and downhill from any source of ignition! Word to the wise!!

Bill

Best to use imflammable fluids OUTSIDE and downhill from any source of ignition! Word to the wise!!

Are you sure that all inflammable vapors flow downhill? I would think it would vary with the substance, that some are heavier than air, but others are lighter. (Hydroen is definitely lighter, but I've never heard of using it to clean concertina buttons... especially not in liquid form. ;) )

Hi ....denture cleaning agents would bleach what is on the buttons as well as the buttons themselves. , ie grunge. Thus you end up with whiter grunge and whiter buttons..

You need to use a solvent or physically remove any adherent material before you bleach anything......the bleach needs to be in contact with the surface to be bleached.

Second....fluoride is not a bleaching agent....the agent used to whiten teeth (carbamide peroxide) breaks down to release hydrogen peroxide (a bleaching agent)

So.....either use a solvent or otherwise remove the detritus to clean the buttons.If you are then not happy with the colour of the buttons,then bleach them............peroxide works on either bone,ivory or plastic.

Cheers Robin

But like Chris says,why bother :D

I'm just thinking that alcohol based solvents and bleaching agents might be a bit too harsh on the materials. I know that it is possible to shift tea stains from cups using a bit of sodium bicarbonate in warm water and this may work in this case.

However I wouldn't use water which is very hot as this could possibly distort the buttons.

Pete

All things considered, I don't think that it matters whether you use a solvent or an oxidizing agent to clean your buttons. Just find a cleaner that you know will not damage your buttons and use the the appropriate concentration.

On the other hand, if dental cleaners are safe for my teeth, I would feel that they are safe for cleaning concertina button. I haven't tried gargleing with solvent yet! :)

This is a very conroversial subject. Where's the moderator?

• 5 weeks later...

I have used Milton sterilising fluid to clean the "bone" buttons of my venerable Jeffries. Take off the buttons ( I was re-bushing anyway) pop them in a glass and add the Milton which can be diluted. Leave overnight- just like your teeth!. Dry off and all the gunge is gone. Mind you it didn't take off the nicotine stains.

The best way of removing those brown stains is certainly with bleach (sodium hypochlorite as was mentioned. If you are a bit concerned that it might be a bit too drastic use one of the nappy (sorry diapers to U.S. people) soaking powders. Here in Australia we have one called Napi-san which is just the thing. Leave the buttons in overnight and in the morning hey presto they will either be white or just a memory. Sorry, they don't dissolve at least I have never had any problems and I have been bleaching bone buttons for years! Also mentioned was the fact that the buttons may not be bone. This is certainly true some are made from one of the early plastics which I assume is based on caseine. I have never tried to bleach these so be careful. These buttons can usually be picked by their tendency to go crazed on the top and the fact that they are often more rounded that their bone counterparts.

Richard Evans

P.S. Sorry I haven't been sending much information to concertina net lately. I am in the process of building and equiping a new workshop to catch up with the world's demand for Anglo concertinas! And 24 hours are just not enough in a day!

• 10 months later...
I have used Milton sterilising fluid to clean the "bone" buttons of my venerable Jeffries. Take off the buttons ( I was re-bushing anyway) pop them in a glass and add the Milton which can be diluted. Leave overnight- just like your teeth!. Dry off and all the gunge is gone. Mind you it didn't take off the nicotine stains.

Where can one get Milton sterilising fluid? I hadn't heard of it before now.