Some more....murdered songs

LDT

I got a disny songbook the other day so I've been trying a couple of the songs out.....what do you think?

(oh yes it has been edited coz I had to stop to turn over th page of music every so often)

Bella Notte

http://www.soundlantern.com/UpdatedSoundPa...4&Path=null

Feed the Birds

http://www.soundlantern.com/UpdatedSoundPa...6&Path=null

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you, LDT, I'll be singing "Feed the birds, tuppence a bag" for the rest of the day! :)

I've had it stuck in my head for 3 days. :blink: lol!

If it' sufficiently 'stuck in your head' LTD put the printed score to one side and have a go at playing it straight from the head and the heart.

Thank you, LDT, I'll be singing "Feed the birds, tuppence a bag" for the rest of the day! :)

I've had it stuck in my head for 3 days. :blink: lol!

If it' sufficiently 'stuck in your head' LTD put the printed score to one side and have a go at playing it straight from the head and the heart.

*laughs heartily* How's having the song going round my head in rapidly decreasing circles going to tell me what buttons to use? :lol:

*laughs heartily* How's having the song going round my head in rapidly decreasing circles going to tell me what buttons to use? :lol:

Given time, you will be able to associate the noises in your head with the noises made by the buttons of your instrument.

Given time, you will be able to associate the noises in your head with the noises made by the buttons of your instrument.

If that ever happens I'll throw a party to celebrate.

:D Are we all invited?

Someone told me "if you can sing it you can play it", which I didn't believe at the time, but there is some truth in it, because it means that there is a version of it installed in your head. When I'm learning a new tune from the page, I play it and play it and play it, then start with the first bar or phrase without looking. Even that tiniest bit gives you a bit of "I can do that" confidence.

Or just do the "Feed the birds" bit without looking at the music. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. ;)

It is that time of year when you get to play tunes you know every note of. It is amazing how easily christmas carols come to your fingers compared with traditional tunes you only hear occasionally.

Here are the ones I've been tripping out this last few days:

O come all ye faithfull

O come Emmanuel

God rest ye merry gentlemen

silent night

O little town of bethlehem

Good king Wencleslas

etc

None of them took very long to learn, and the great thing is - your friends and significant others know them right away and can sing along. If your concertina is ex Salvation Army, it will play the tunes itself almost !

Simon

:D Are we all invited?

Yep..but its an online party with virtual drinks and nibbles....oh and I'll need a virtual band to play music.

Or just do the "Feed the birds" bit without looking at the music. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. ;)

I can do the chorus bit...but I'm not knowing ah that note must come next its more I've visulised the tablature as a 'image' in my head.

So what about Bella Notte (song from Lady and the Tramp)? What does everyone think of that?

I can do the chorus bit...but I'm not knowing ah that note must come next its more I've visulised the tablature as a 'image' in my head.

That's okay. It'll come. I have pictures of the sheet music in my head too, I can see the Icelandic fisherman on the Loguivy-de-la-Mer page so clearly I could reach out and pull him into my living room! I'd love to know who he was.

Anyway, I digress. :)

Do you want to be able to play without sheet music? If you want to, but think you can't, go back to the easiest beginner tune you know - Three Blind Mice, or whatever it is - and try to play that without looking.

Find your own method - say out loud "this begins with B-A-G", or whatever provides that stepping stone between the printed notes and your fingers on the buttons. Once you've done one, you can do them all.

Bon courage!

That's okay. It'll come. I have pictures of the sheet music in my head too, I can see the Icelandic fisherman on the Loguivy-de-la-Mer page so clearly I could reach out and pull him into my living room! I'd love to know who he was.

Anyway, I digress. :)

Do you want to be able to play without sheet music? If you want to, but think you can't, go back to the easiest beginner tune you know - Three Blind Mice, or whatever it is - and try to play that without looking.

Find your own method - say out loud "this begins with B-A-G", or whatever provides that stepping stone between the printed notes and your fingers on the buttons. Once you've done one, you can do them all.

Bon courage!

Its not the 'dots' I'm reading....its the tablature (what number button to push or pull) that I see.

I'm worried that's kinda cheating. But I can't read the dots and I can't learn by ear.

Oh try this method to remember (c1) doesn't like (c2) because its friends with (c3) and c4 and c5 are best friends...etc.

so I say the little story in my mind.

Its not the 'dots' I'm reading....its the tablature (what number button to push or pull) that I see.

I'm worried that's kinda cheating. But I can't read the dots and I can't learn by ear.

Oh try this method to remember (c1) doesn't like (c2) because its friends with (c3) and c4 and c5 are best friends...etc.

so I say the little story in my mind.

Hi LDT

I learn by ear pretty good. I'm told I listen well. I tried playing by ear, and the only result I got was ear wax on the keys an my hair caught between them. :blink:

I find the dots/tadpoles easier to remember if I use simple mnemonics (memory aids).

Everybody has a "FACE". The spaces between the lines.

"Every Good Boy Does Fine". The lines between the spaces.

If I sit on a "SHARP" tack I jump "UP", and sometimes fall "DOWN FLAT" on the floor afterwards. These are the two directions the sound goes: sharp up, and flat down.

IMHO simpler than trying to learn tabs because WHEN you upgrade your instrument, the keys might be in a different spot so you'll have to learn/make a new tablature and start learning all over again. Also if you've got to learn the language of the tabs, you might as well learn the notes. There are no shorcuts either way.

Thanks

Leo :)

Edited by Leo

I find the dots/tadpoles easier to remember if I use simple mnemonics (memory aids).

Everybody has a "FACE". The spaces between the lines.

"Every Good Boy Does Fine". The lines between the spaces.

If I sit on a "SHARP" tack I jump "UP", and sometimes fall "DOWN FLAT" on the floor afterwards. These are the two directions the sound goes: sharp up, and flat down.

All very well if I've got about 10mns in between every note to work it out....but I don't so I just work it out before hand and write down the buttons.....I can't grasp music written down if it doesn't relate to how the instrument it played.

I'm just musically challenged. :(

I think we all are, to a greater, or lesser, extent.

Why not carry on as you are, for the present? You seem to be making good progress. Maybe you will come to discover the best way of learning which suits the way in which your mind works.

• 2 weeks later...

I think we all are, to a greater, or lesser, extent.

Why not carry on as you are, for the present? You seem to be making good progress. Maybe you will come to discover the best way of learning which suits the way in which your mind works.

My mind don't work....that's the problem.

And I thought I was the only one struggling (and mostly failing) to relate tadpoles hanging on a washing line to music, LDT.

To use a metaphor...Its like a foreign language...and I've yet to get past using a 'phrasebook'...which I find very frustrating. Its all so...illogical. :(

Hi, LDT,

There's one thing that we should make clear to beginners. Some people say they play from tablature, others that they play from "tadpoles", others that they play by ear. But this is not strictly true.

What they really mean is, they learn from tablature or "tadpoles" or by ear.

As the bass player in my group never tires of saying, "When you've got the notes off pat, you can start learning the piece." Getting the notes off pat, for our fiddler, means matching his fingering to the "tadpoles". For me, it means matching the buttons to the tune in my head. In either case, we do this for as long as it takes for our fingers to work more or less by themselves, so that our brains can deal with the phrasing, dynamics, etc.

There may be some very talented, very well-trained, very experienced musicians who can play a new tune correctly from a score at first sight. But even these will play it better second time through, and even better after a couple more tries. Same with talented, experienced "by ear" players. The first stab at the tune may be recognisable - even quite nice - but it doesn't become music until it's in the fingers.

My fiddler and I are only average players, and take a while to work up a tune. But when it's ready for performance, you wouldn't know which of us had learned by ear and which from staff notation.

There's an intermediate stage in learning a piece, where you use your notation or your ear as an aid to memory. Often, you will be able to perform the piece quite well in this phase, but the ultimate aim should be to be able to play from memory - the way you sing, hum or whistle.

Someone mentioned the old saying, "If you can sing it, you can play it." If you take this to mean that being able to sing a tune will enable you to find the buttons on your concertina, it is false (as you have noticed). But if you take it to mean that, once you've identified the notes, being able to sing will make your playing more expressive and better phrased, it is true.

Hope this hasn't totally confused you :rolleyes:

Cheers,

John