Concertinists – Next Generation.

PeterT

There are loads of young players in ireland. I don't know about professional but teaching and gigging and playing out.

I suppose Hugh Healy, Jack Talty, Aoife Kelly and all those fit in the older young segment but there's a new load, late teens and early twenties in place alread, there, Katie O Sullivan and Lorraine O Brien is lovely for example. Loads and loads more ofcourse.

Hugh Healy:

Willie37HughH.jpg

Aoife Kelly

Willie40AoifeK.jpg

Katie O Sullivan:

Willie36KatieOS.jpg

Lorraine O Brien:

Willie38LoraineOB.jpg

Thanks; Peter. Website details appear to be a bit sketchy (not surprising, since some of these players are young), but there was a similar discussion "on the other channel" a few months ago.

Hugh Healy:

http://www.healymusic.com/index.htm

Jack Talty:

http://www.cruinniumusic.com/jack.htm

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Peter Laban

There a loads of people playing, teaching and just being lovely players without being full time concertina players. Aoife above is for example John Kelly's grand-daughter, like many they've been at it for generations. Luci Benagh is another 18 year old locally, grand-daughter of Tommy McCarthy and playing his concertina, lovely.

Only the tip of the iceberg though.

LDT and Peter,

On a lovely summer day in Stuttgart's attractive shopping thoroughfare, the buskers were out in numbers, and I remembered that I'd always wanted to try it. Just as the question "Do I need a permit" entered my head, I saw a stationary Police car with a bored-looking occupant. So I asked him. He said he hadn't a clue - I should ask at the Town Hall.

This was encouraging - if the Police don't know the rules, they're not going to put anybody in gaol, are they? :lol:

Back home, I surfed the Town Hall website, and came up with an example of typical German thoroughness: a PDF file with a plan of the city centre with red dots at the places where busking was allowed. They were at the points that one would have chosen anyway. No explicit permit required.

There were a few clear, simple rules. Start on the hour, play for up to half an hour, then move to another red dot, where you can start again on the next hour. No groups of more than three musicians. No electronic amplification. No "loud" instruments (not explicitly specified). No offensive behaviour.

All very reasonable rules that would in no way cramp a concertinist's style.

So, the following weekend, the weather continuing fine and summery, I took my Anglo on an outing to Stuttgart. I broke even. One half-hour session brought enough money to pay the parking fee and the couple of litres of petrol it took to get there and back.

And it was interesting to see the reactions of the passers-by. Sometimes eye contact, sometimes an interested question. Sometimes just an added spring in their step as they passed by.

And, as you may imagine, the money that each threw into my case was in no relation to the apparent affluence or otherwise of the donor ;)

The Euro from the young chap with the guitar case was especially valuable. :rolleyes:

It's fun, LDT - keep practising! :lol:

Cheers,

John

Wish UK rules were that simple. lol!

I'm soo not good enough though and I get petrified when I play in front of people.

So is youtube 'virtual' busking? :unsure:

Edited by LDT

Guest Peter Laban

A few more faces and names, all wellknown enough I suppose:

Jack Talty:

Willie56JackT.jpg

Aoife O Conor:

Willie54AoifeOC.jpg

Michelle Mulcahy:

Willie56MichelleM.jpg

I'll add this one, The Benaghs, Lucy playing the concertina

Benaghs.jpg

Edited by Peter Laban

Peter, have you heard of Erica Keane? I know she's from Clare but she's teaching in Tip or something like that. I saw her a few times but never heard her play though.

Cheers, Azalin, another to add to the list. as you say, originally from Clare:

http://74.125.77.132/search?q=cache:WA8rkI...;cd=4&gl=uk

Thanks. Any more info on her? Like, does she have a boyfriend? What's her phone number? ;-)

Peter, have you heard of Erica Keane? I know she's from Clare but she's teaching in Tip or something like that. I saw her a few times but never heard her play though.

Cheers, Azalin, another to add to the list. as you say, originally from Clare:

http://74.125.77.132/search?q=cache:WA8rkI...;cd=4&gl=uk

Thanks. Any more info on her? Like, does she have a boyfriend? What's her phone number? ;-)

I was about to say 'Join the queue', then I remembered I was getting a bit old for such dreams alas!

Ian

I don't know where many young professionals are, but I'm in Newcastle Upon Tyne. (Not sure if I'm classed as pro either!). I came from Hastings to Newcastle for the Folk Degree.

I play Anglo concertina only (and melodeon) and have a G/D C/G and D/A concertina.#

I'm heavily into english country dance music, and some irish (though I mainly play that on melodeon). Recently I have got into ragtime stuff that Vic Gammon has been teaching me.

I perform all over the country in the summer- Sidmouth, Broadstairs and sometimes Whitby folkweeks. Anywhere where you see Newcastle Kingsmen you'lll find me and a squeezebox, and the pubs, clubs and Universit of Newcastle, which is where I'm sat typing this.

Haven't got a website but my myspace is www.myspace.com/pipandjo

Hi Pip,

Under 30? Oh goody; thanks for posting!

Regards,

Peter.

If you want to know just how good Pip is on his anglo he has posted some videos on Youtube of his playing especially the Blowzabella tune Horizonto: Pip is stonkingly good and I have seen and heard him perform live at the fortnightly Anything but Irish night at the Cumberland Arms in Byker Newcastle!Just type in Pipives into Youtube:

Chris

www.rte.ie/radio1/thebloomofyouth/

Programme 4: 22nd November 2008

Programme 2: 8th November 2008

Programme 3: August 4th

Programme 4: Saturday 15th July

Programme 6: Saturday 29th July

Programme 6: 20th August 2005

Edited by Jim Munro

Hi Peter

Would this lady count?

http://www.youtube.com/user/rhcpmipo

Thanks

Leo :unsure:

Hi Leo,

Well; she certainly fits into the age category, and produces some nice music on the English concertina. Maybe some of our Japanese members could provide some information about her, in English.

Regards,

Peter.

So is youtube 'virtual' busking? :unsure:

Hm, I don't think so. Nobody's ever tipped me! smiley-face-cry.gif

Well favoriting and rating with stars could count as tipping. :)

And I've faved your vids before.

Maybe this would help towards "virtual" bills. :unsure: