Jeffries for Sale

Ptarmigan

I've decided to sell my Jeffries & I thought I'd give C.net members & my friends over on thesession first punt at it.

2219502570102727105S200x200Q85.jpg

Just for the record, there is no hurry, as I'm not dashing off to post it on eBay as well.

Obviously that will be an option for me, if I don't manage to sell it here, but rather than sell to just anyone on eBay, I'd prefer to sell it here, if possible.

I'd like it to stay in Ireland too, if possible, as there seem to be more & more young Concertina enthusiasts every year here, all looking for quality instruments.

To see & hear it, just visit MySpace where all the tracks there were actually played on this Jeffries.

Here's a short

of me playing this Concertina.

I have also set up a slideshow there, the first one, with some excellent photos of this Jeffries, which were taken by Dave Prebble after he gave it his excellent once over, just last month.

At that time I had no intention of selling it, but since then I have acquired a love of the English system & as well as buying a beautiful Wheatstone #22 from Dave, I have just fallen head over heels for an Aeola TT & to justify { to her indoors } my purchase of this beauty, I must now sell my Jeffries.

Well, it's either that or d-i-v-o-r-c-e & this seems like the easier & cheaper option! ;)

I have not tried to sell a Concertina here before, but I understand that a donation to C.net is in order, if the deal goes through here.

So, as this sounds perfectly reasonable to me, perhaps someone can tell me, PM if you like, what the recognized % should be for that donation?

Incidentally, I bought this Concertina from Chris Algar, back in '92, but I'm not sure he'd remember much about this particular instrument, as I understand he's sold a couple more since then! ;)

By the way, I also won a 2nd place medal at the All Ireland in Clonmel, in '94 playing this Concertina.

Anyway, that's about it, so please feel free to pm me if you would like any more information.

Cheers

Dick

P.S. As for my asking price, my Aeola TT, after some work, will be setting me back £3,000 so I'll leave you to do the maths! ;)

N.B. After reading the thread on "Ethics. protocols & obligations in buy/sell" it seems, the exercise of selling a Concertina here could be like walking across a Minefield.

So, with this in mind, I feel I should perhaps set some parameters here, so that folks are less likely to get upset.

After all, I'd hate people to think "there was strange stuff going on"! ;)

The strongest point made in that thread was perhaps, that often people get upset by an instrument being sold to the first bidder &/or being sold before they even had a chance to notice it.

So, to avoid this, I think a fairer way for me to do this, might be to ask anyone who is genuinely interested, to register their interest with me & declare to me in a PM, what they are prepared to offer me for this Concertina, before a set deadline ... say next Thursday evening, 4th December, at 6pm {GMT}.

This should give anyone who is interested plenty of time to ask any questions & as this is over a weekend, I'm sure most members will have visited the forum, before Thursday.

Hopefully this system will avoid any claims that I have unjustly favoured one bid over another.

If The Management or indeed anyone else here can see any problems with this idea, please let me know asap.

Also, if anyone can suggest a better, more fair way to conduct this sale, I am open to suggestions?

As I have hinted above, the minimum bid I am prepared to accept is £3,000 ........ after that, it's up to you.

Edited by Ptarmigan

I have not tried to sell a Concertina here before, but I understand that a donation to C.net is in order, if the deal goes through here.

So, as this sounds perfectly reasonable to me, perhaps someone can tell me, PM if you like, what the recognized % should be for that donation?

See the pinned topic at the top of "Buy & Sell" by Paul Schwartz.

I just tacked this amendment onto the original post, but to make sure anyone who is interested does see this, I'm posting it here too.

After reading the thread on "Ethics. protocols & obligations in buy/sell" it seems, the exercise of selling a Concertina here could be like walking across a Minefield.

So, with this in mind, I feel I should perhaps set some parameters here, so that folks are less likely to get upset. After all, I'd hate people to think "there was strange stuff going on"! ;)

The strongest point made in that thread was perhaps, that often people get upset by an instrument being sold to the first bidder &/or being sold before they even had a chance to notice it. So, to avoid this, I think a fairer way for me to do this, might be to ask anyone who is genuinely interested, to register their interest with me & declare to me in a PM, what they are prepared to offer me for this Concertina, before a set deadline of ... say next Thursday evening, 4th December, at 6pm {GMT}.

This should give anyone who is interested plenty of time to ask any questions & as this is over a weekend, I'm sure most members will have visited the forum, before Wednesday & so had every opportunity to check out this thread.

Hopefully this system will also help avoid any claims that I have perhaps unjustly favoured one bid over another.

If The Management or indeed anyone else here can see any problems with this idea, please let me know asap.

Also, if anyone can suggest a better, more fair way to conduct this sale, or how I might adapt this idea, I am very open to suggestions?

As I have hinted at above, the minimum bid I am prepared to accept is £3,000 ........ after that, it's up to you.

Cheers

Dick

See the pinned topic at the top of "Buy & Sell" by Paul Schwartz.

Thanks Leonard.

Aye a minimum of 2% seems very fair indeed.

Cheers

Dick

Following a request from an interested member, this is the layout for my Jeffries.

http://www.suttnerconcertinas.com/images/k...ut_wheat_31.gif

The only difference { apart from the four missing buttons of course! :rolleyes: } is that the lowest button on the inside row, left hand side is a D on the draw instead of an A.

Cheers

Dick

I just watched a lovely Aeola come & go very, very quickly on eBay this morning ... snapped up using the Buy it Now Price.

Maybe I should have added a Buy it Now condition to this sale? ;)

Ah well, I'll know now, for next time.

Cheers

Dick

THIS AUCTION HAS NOW ENDED!

Just for the record folks, as the deadline of 6PM has come & gone on my wee experimental auction & as no serious bids were received before 6PM, I have ended the auction.

To be honest, in light of what Gan Ainm recently posted on the thread next door, I'm quite glad that little experiment is over.

In case you missed it, he wrote:

I would see the greatest potential for conflict in "concertina for sale" postings, which follow the auction format, but without "proper" auction rules. It might even be possible that the operators of this website could be drawn into a conflict arising our of such a transaction, e.g. by either party claiming that the site is operating as an auction house. I don't know whether the obligation to complete an auction transaction is created purely by the rules of an individual auction, or whether there is general "auction law", similar to contract law - perhaps the concertina-playing lawyers out there can comment. If there is a real risk that the operators of this website could be drawn into such a conflict, then I guess the options would be to either leave things stand and hope it never happens, or outlaw auction-style postings, or employ a lawyer to write up auction rules and become an "eBay for Concertinas".

Of course I'll never know for sure why I didn't receive any serious offers.

It could be that the strange auction type rules I was imposing on the sale here, just put people off, or it could be that people felt it was too expensive to be bidding any more than the price I was starting it at, or it could be that the credit crunch has finally come home to roost. Or maybe the fact that it only has 26 buttons put people off, or maybe people have just gone off Jeffries now!, ;)

Anyway, thanks to C.net for letting me try that auction idea & for all those who passed comments on the idea, onthe thread next door.

Cheers

Dick

• 2 weeks later...
Well done Dick , i trust you are happy with the result , even though it was a last minute heart stopping flurry .

Mike

Thanks Mike,

That last minute flurry though, certainly made the 7 day wait worthwhile.

Oh & I'm secretly very pleased too, to see that it will be staying in Ireland.

....... Oh darn it, I've just written that, so now it's not a secret anymore! :rolleyes:

Cheers

Dick