Recorded Tune Link Page.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) :D

Hi all,

have been very busy these days trying to make the money for a living and more Coincertina stuff.

So I gort aware late about this thread. Excellent !!

Thank you Al, thank you Henk and thanks to all contributior.

Up to a certain point it is a satisfaction me thjinkiong that all this is related to the thread I posted in December, "Interchanging Music, Learning, TEaching adn Making Friends". By the other hand it seems that this kind of ideas were anyway floating in the air.

However, great that this project may came to bea realityy.

Now I understand Henkm, why you could not answer to my qustion how to use the recording software. I shall find out with patience.

A pitty, that I cxannot help with the organisation and more than any with the computer stuff. It costed me about 30 - 45 minutes to read all the contributions. Imagine ! But it has been worthwhile.

Here a short resum, what I woould like to find in this new page :

1. Music perforwemd by us ourselfes at any level.

2. Encouragement to Bweginners to makje us listen their incipient playing and read there questions.

3. Tutor recording, I mean :

We have Alln's recordings

I have a Tutor Cd from Henk, which I guess he would not mind to shatre with opthers

And I mysefl I am preparing withthe help of my friend Mike Murphy, who lives in Spain some tapes, recorded at learning speed, intermedium speed and real speed.

ACtuallay a very enjoyable Polka Set, but also other Irish Music.

I got a Tutor MD from a known Player, in order to learn from his Cds.

Askinmg him, asking opthers, I risk to say that there is a chance that we might get other material.

I think to listen nice Music, performed on Concertinas, in general , we would not reallyh need thios project.

But to to know each opther better and getting to be friends and to learn from each other, this what really makes sense to me.

I think it should be even possible that somebody comes up with teh question :

I would like to leatrn to play this and this tune, who is willing to play it for and record and send to this new page, so me and others can learn it.

But nobody should get this "stuff" if not willibng to present after a certain time the results of the efforts done by the one who helps and the one whjo has asjked for.

Me individually already I am "pressing, begging" a number of persons to do this for me and I have got some results.

I have got music from Jim Lucas, when he visited me about a couple of yuears ago in Spain, an a kind of tutor tape.

Tunes he composed himself and perforemd on huis English system Concertina and after trting it ion my anglo over the rows without a real succes, no I ghave learned thanks to him, to play across the rows, and can achieve an acceptable speed and give the real character to the tune. Well from the four he has gfiven to me, I learned only one correctly up to now, but go ahead with opthers.

It has been a great experience, which I think would be very inttersting to share with other beginners or slightly advamced beginenrs. For me it has been a "key" or "cruciakl" experiebnce, opneing me the dorfrs for much more.

And weithout this help, I think It would have takem me a lot of more time to reach there. Now I start to apply this expereince on other tunes. mixing as it intersts me the over the rows push-`pull style and continuos phrasing.

I think you undertand that I s do not really want to speak abnout myself, but explain the exprerience, I think could be very valuable for others.

And I feel qyuite enthusiastic about this GREAT project.

Henk, I guess it will keep you busy !

Whats your ipinion

P.D. : I thought already to open my onw Homepage for the purpose.

Once the project comes to be reality, it should be published on the General Discussioopn Foprum, inviting people to share the experience .

THOUSAN THANKS !!

At the risk of making the venture too easy, I offer the following observation. Other communities such as this often have "Contribute a Link" pages. There is a form which individual members fill out with the site name, URL and a succinct description. It then becomes up to each contributor to give the best information. There is no burden on the webmaster or admin other than providing the script for the form.

You might have something like this

Joe Blow's Website < --- with the link activated on the title.

Concertina.net member from Your Town, USA. Has several MP3 files of Blow playing Anglo C/G. Includes jigs, reels and a couple of Playford tunes without backing accompaniment. One tune features Sam Smith playing his Crane Duet.

Does this sound more feasable?

ldp

p.s. an entire series of faqs would be needed to explain the equpiment and process of recording and uploading MP3 files. and why would MP3 be used? that is a lossy format. perhaps it would be best to do what FLATPICK-L and Co-MANDO do each year -- issue a CD by members. but that is another thread. -- ldp

ldp,

Thanks for your contribution. I have some reactions/comments:

At the risk of making the venture too easy, I offer the following observation. Other communities such as this often have "Contribute a Link" pages. There is a form which individual members fill out with the site name, URL and a succinct description.

You are right that this makes the venture easier, but the Webmaster Paul & Ken have to organize (or program) a script in order to store the data in a database. On top of that an effort is required to keep the database up-to-date. (URL's can change, soundfiles can be deleted by the owner, etc.)

It then becomes up to each contributor to give the best information. There is no burden on the webmaster or admin other than providing the script for the form.

And that may be the weak point.. Active searching on the www is then replaced by the willingness of the members to enter the data and a said already the webmasters have to control and maintain the entries.

Joe Blow's Website < --- with the link activated on the title.

Concertina.net member from Your Town, USA. Has several MP3 files of Blow playing Anglo C/G. Includes jigs, reels and a couple of Playford tunes without backing accompaniment. One tune features Sam Smith playing his Crane Duet.

I did a serious try to find the Joe Blow's stuff, but I can't locate it. Can you give more precise directions? :(

and why would MP3 be used? that is a lossy format.

Could not find the meaning of the word lossy (I'm Dutch :ph34r: !), or do you mean lousy? Anyway I do not know what is wrong with the MP3 format. It is widely accepted and will stay for the coming years. MP3 players are introduced worldwide (and are a ww success), because of that.

Henk

and why would MP3 be used? that is a lossy format. perhaps it would be best to do what FLATPICK-L and Co-MANDO do each year -- issue a CD by members. but that is another thread. -- ldp

If we're arguing against lossy formats, then could we issue a vinyl LP instead of a CD please? :rolleyes:

Personally I think it's great that there's interest in providing a more structured list of recordings but I'd very much prefer links to be on a per-site basis than per-sound-file.

Henk's tabular song-by-song approach provides plenty of data, but means that if I archive any files or shift them around - something I do quite a lot with my own stuff as I never plan it well enough in advance <_< - or simply decide that there are songs that I don't like any more, then that table of links quickly becomes obsolete. In contrast, I'm a lot less likely to take down my site completely - so a link to www.anarchyinthecotswolds.co.uk will stay current for a good while.

Just my three farthings' worth. :)

Thanks for your appreciation Stuart!

Henk's tabular song-by-song approach provides plenty of data, but means that if I archive any files or shift them around - something I do quite a lot with my own stuff as I never plan it well enough in advance  <_< - or simply decide that there are songs that I don't like any more, then that table of links quickly becomes obsolete. In contrast, I'm a lot less likely to take down my site completely - so a link to www.anarchyinthecotswolds.co.uk will stay current for a good while.

You have a point there, but.. I can use tools to detect your shuffling with files and to detect new stuff on the internet quite easily.

So I propose that I will give it a try and build up some experience with the tools that I have. After some time I will discovere if it is "managable"

Like your playing B.T.W. It opens new directions for me!

Henk

I'll try to address these points concisely.

You are right that this makes the venture easier, but the Webmaster Paul & Ken have to organize (or program) a script in order to store the data in a database. On top of that an effort is required to keep the database up-to-date. (URL's can change, soundfiles can be deleted by the owner, etc.)

On the sites I'm aware of, this is undertaken with caveats clearly posted. The webmaster allows the links to scroll off after a period of time. This allows the URLs to be updated by the original contributor. The webmaster shouldn't have to do everything! If members are indeed what makes a site interesting and vital, then some bit of participation is required. Why shouldn't, as you point out, each contributor give the best information to this ongoing effort?

I did a serious try to find the Joe Blow's stuff, but I can't locate it. Can you give more precise directions? 

That was an example of a possible entry using a fake name. I was point out that the information could be that simple.

Could not find the meaning of the word lossy (I'm Dutch  !), or do you mean lousy? Anyway I do not know what is wrong with the MP3 format. It is widely accepted and will stay for the coming years. MP3 players are introduced worldwide (and are a ww success), because of that.

"Lossy" means some data can be lost in the de/compression process. If this data cannot be recovered, well, you're missing information. This is important in audio, espcecially if you are sharing files. There are those who would argue you can't tell the difference between the content. The benefit to using a lossless format such as FLAC or SHN is that the information is lossless and compressed. Both FLAC and SHN are popular formats for the trading of live music performances. These formats are like a zipfile for audio. I looked for a good primer for you, Henk. Trythis.

If we're arguing against lossy formats, then could we issue a vinyl LP instead of a CD please? 

Why not? Zevon's "The Wind" was just reissued on vinyl! CD, then plastic.

Good observations about the links on the site. (I'm still peeved that I missed your last batch of tunes. Phooey!)

Hope this answers your questions.

ldp

On the sites I'm aware of, this is undertaken with caveats clearly posted. The webmaster allows the links to scroll off after a period of time. This allows the URLs to be updated by the original contributor. The webmaster shouldn't have to do everything! If members are indeed what makes a site interesting and vital, then some bit of participation is required. Why shouldn't, as you point out, each contributor give the best information to this ongoing effort?

I have been lurking throughout this very interesting discussion. It may be that the best home for it is elsewhere. But here, we could do something like this...A subforum with a volunteer moderator. You submit your URL and description to him/her. They vet it (to make sure it is a link to a recorded tune site; this means related or idle discussion goes elsewhere, not in the URL list) and approve it for posting. We can set it to rotate out old listings after a fixed time if desired (6 months? 12 months?).

I'm still just speculating...soon we can ask Paul to weigh in on all this. There may be other possibilities I don't know about. You all are correct that if you wait for one of us to write code it may take a very long time! B)

"Lossy" means some data can be lost in the de/compression process. If this data cannot be recovered, well, you're missing information. This is important in audio, espcecially if you are sharing files. There are those who would argue you can't tell the difference between the content. The benefit to using a lossless format such as FLAC or SHN is that the information is lossless and compressed. Both FLAC and SHN are popular formats for the trading of live music performances. These formats are like a zipfile for audio. I looked for a good primer for you, Henk. Try http:/xmixahlx.com/audio/sc/introduction.html

Thanks for the information on "lossy" and the formats FLAC and SHN. I used your link and had a look at the site. I agree that for serious archiving and decompressing to WAV these formats are very attractive.

The scope of the project is (as far as I have in mind) to share recordings in order to learn from each other. For that aim MP3 looks for me as an acceptable format. Reality points out that it is the most used format on the internet and the only thing I can do, is collect links. I cannot influence the players that upload their sound-files somewhere on the internet :( .

Henk

My only worry is that if we let some of the music roll away, some lovely possible archive or research material could be lost I feel that we must tread carefully in this direction.

Al

I agree with you Al!

Up till now a lot of comments on this subject are posted in this forum. Maybe it is time to set-up a poll, based on those comments?

Anyway, I continue for the time being and updated my page. The simple reason is that:

- it is fun to collect and hear the tunes

- the page inspired at least one of the players in the list to pick up his concertina, plug in the microphone and play some more :)

Henk

Thanks Henk

I have had a look at your site you mentioned and it suits me fine.

I can see who is playing and on what key the concertina is in, etc. This is useful for many reasons, and I for one appreciate it.

Thanks

Sharron :D

• 2 months later...

Henk's page is really great! I just found this thread, and the page, and listened to a couple of tunes.

I am not asking that my rather poor-quality sound files be included, though maybe someday I can come up with something better...a bit to busy/tired/distracted/worried-about-the-war/etc. these days to really perfect my playing, singing, or recording. BUT...

if you want to hear the four files that I do have online, thrown on when I accidentally found out that I could make .wav files....then you can hear them by going to http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bbelletunes and then clicking to:

Music > CONCERTINA Compositions (EC) > CONCERTINA & SINGING ~ .wav Sound Files

(I can't directly link to the exact site.)

My tunes wouldn't probably fit in much with the ones at Henk's site, anyway...but, what a great site he has....I'll be sure to check that out some more!!!

:)

Music > CONCERTINA Compositions (EC) > CONCERTINA & SINGING ~ .wav Sound Files