Recorded Tune Link Page.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

recorded in the local prison cell (no not really :)

Solid playing! Great instrument too!

(been a nasty person or grumpy origin, I'd like to suggest more lively demeanor during playing.

I'd suggest looking straight into the camera, smile a bit, or just making faces, reflecting the emotion of the

music. And that hair! What's wrong with men today? Where's that clean cut of the 50es? And the attire! Where's the smoking, slackers? At least some nice manly looking leather jacket for $400.)

I'd like to suggest more lively demeanor during playing.

I reckoned that the less I moved the more YouTube could compress the video and thus leave more bandwidth for the audio - I did it for you!!

Actually videoing and recording your own playing is really interesting, because I find I am so thoroughly absorbed in playing/listening I haven't a clue what else is going on. At least with the concertina I look pretty relaxed, if rather introverted (which isn't a bad description of me anyway :). With the cello I look really tense when I play - it's much harder!! I'm always amazed when I see people play and they look totally relaxed and open - I get the impression they "work" in a completely different way to me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I added two recordings to my web page - they are of a tune called One Too Many by Ian Bell. The notes can be found here. The recording comes in two easy to ingest flavours:

normal: 3 tracks: concertina just playing the tune, and a double dose of cello.

slow: 2 tracks: concertina playing tune + harmony, and cello playing bass.

Hope it doesn't give you hiccups.

Nice playing (and arranging).

The notes can be found here.
Wow. People still write music on staff paper with pencil?! Reminds me of when I was in college! You need software (and there are many choices) that will make the writing/editing easier, play it back for you so you can hear where problems are, and produce high quality printed (or screen) output. FWIW, on my Macintosh I use Barfly for all of this.

Example:

post-65-1160931844_thumb.jpg et cetera...

People still write music on staff paper with pencil?!

Sometimes, when I run out of staff paper, I even draw my own (given that I haven't run out of blank paper too) :)

At the time I didn't have access to the internet at home (resulting in me generally getting a lot more done... hmmm...). Now I do and for various things I've used Lilypond, which is very good + fast when you get used to it. However, for the first iteration, sitting at my kitchen table with paper, pencil and concertina is still my favoured route...

Nice playing (and arranging).
The notes can be found here.
Wow. People still write music on staff paper with pencil?!

No, I use a fountain pen B)

I still think much better on paper - I haven't adjusted to computers as a tool for creativity as far as music's concerned at all. I can (and do) use Sibelius for producing more readable arrangements but tend to have things sorted out in my head or on paper before I start fire it up.

Edited by stuart estell

• 1 month later...
is a video of me playing Rosline Castle. As you might guess (or, if you've ever seen me play, know!), there isn't much action there, but I hope it's a little bit interesting, and maybe some other people will upload something!

From the moment I saw/heard this tune, I was completely catched by the tune and the way you play it Danny. So I learned this tune on my Anglo, just using adjacent buttons for harmonies/chords and as soon as I mastered it, I did not listen anymore to your version, because it's another (better) player on another instrument. As a result it became quite different..

But... I played this tune at some sessions and I was completely surprised by the effect of the tune on the audiance. Very soon after starting the tune, the talking and the rumour stops and the crowded pub is completely silent. It gives you wings, but makes you nervous at the same time... No one of the other musicians is playing with you and everyone is listening.. At the end however there is much appreciation and people ask about the tune etc.

So, I made this simple recording, using a notebook, a 5$ microphone and audacity without further editing. I played it in a small hall on my Wakker WA-1 30b C/G.

So Danny.. thanks for sharing Roslyn Castle!

Edited by Henk van Aalten

I had the same reaction and also adapted Danny's arrangement to my own instrument, in my case a Hayden Duet. I play pretty much the same notes Danny does except for one harmony I changed in the cadence.

Of course, after I copied down exactly what he played and learned it note for note, Danny posted his accoustics test sound files and I relized he probably never plays it the same way twice.

• 1 month later...

Now back in wintry Montreal and the local sessions here after my extended trip to Glasgow - which was blast by the way. :D

Played a set of reels at the session a couple of nights ago and the recording came out quite well, except for the obligatory fluffs here and there so I've asked for it to be added to the recorded links page (thanks Henk!). Set was played on a 48key Wheatstone Aeola and has four tunes.

Millbrae

Unknown

Conlon's Reel

Vladimir's Steamboat

by the way, if anyone recognizes the second tune I'd be interested in the title.

Vladimir Set Link