Recorded Tune Link Page.

Hi, Henk and all,

I've fixed up my 'holey' tunes by re-recording them. The two files, Frog Pond and Three-Times-Three, did not require me to rename them, so no links are broken, there.

However, for some reason, Yahoo! Geocities (where my site is) won't let me keep the same file name for my replacement of 'It Came Upon A Midnight Clear.' It's too long of a name, now, it seems.

So..that file is now called ItCameUponAMidnightClear.mp3, and so the link on The Recorded Tunes page shall have to be changed to that. Sorry about this inconvenience. (The old name is: ...etc.MidnightClearMP3.mp3)

I don't think I have anymore recordings with gaps, but if I find them I'll fix them.

edited to add:

Correct file name: http://www.geocities.com/geranimom/ItCameU...dnightClear.mp3

http://www.geocities.com/geranimom/ItCameU...dnightClear.mp3

Hmmm...I seem to still be having a problem, I get 'Page not found.' There should be no problem. Sigh. Let me know if there's a problem, still.

I'M BACK WITH ANOTHER EDIT---- It was my mistake!!! :blink: And, I've fixed it. So, that NEW link should work, now.

Edited by bellowbelle

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wendy, (anything I'm about to say is to be taken with a grain of salt because I'm a real buffone at this but...) the ITS fellers at the job site tell me the gaps or buffering has most likely to do with the individual servers.

You are not the only one, Howard and Toms submissions have left me gasping from "tunus interuptus". I'm told (in very measured language so as not to confuse the concertina monkey) that the trafic on servers plus the amount of compression in the MP3's in question are most likely at fault.

In prepairing my submissions, they experimented with compressions that would make it less likely to have buffering and still sound exceptable. They are very sweet and I owe them a case a beer. Now don't go thinking I'm a cheap-skate. Most of them took one of my music appreciation courses and the grade I "gave" them reflects a generous "gift" on my part already. Accounts are now just approaching equality <_< .

Thanks, Mark.

I have had the idea that it has to do with compression, but, I am totally lost when I try to figure things out, and it gets so time consuming, sitting here at the PC.

I did try again today to convert WAVs to MP3s with -- and without-- 'normalization,' but, nothing worked, there.

So, though I sacrifice some quality, I still seem to have the best of luck doing manual recording of MP3s using Cybercorder 2000.

Also...I just fixed another file. So, I'll tell Henk, too.

The new, corrected file is: http://www.geocities.com/geranimom/TheCrowsKnowMe.mp3

Henk has had this hosted at HIS site, but, it should be fine now to link to the new file, and I think it's a smaller-sized one, too.

That one went very well Wendy! I really enjoy the accompanyment. It sounded like a fellow who was living up in vieux Montreal a few years ago. He had a limonaire from 1906 and would set up in the square not far from my father-in-laws loft. Wonderful. Thank you for the memory.

...the ITS fellers at the job site tell me the gaps or buffering has most likely to do with the individual servers.

...I'm told ... that the trafic on servers plus the amount of compression in the MP3's in question are most likely at fault.

Do you know how to use Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer) to locate files on your computer?

If a sound file seems to have holes in it, don't left-click on the link to "play" it. Instead, right-click on the link and from the menu that appears, choose "Save Link Target As", then when you're presented with the file-finder window, pick a directory to save the sound file in. (If you want to create a directory just for the temporary sound files -- not a bad idea, to make it easier to delete them later, -- you can't create it in that file-finder window; you have to go directly to Windows Explorer to do that. They only look the same.)

To play the sound file once it is saved,you find it in Windows Explorer, then double-click on it (or right-click, then chose "Play" from the resulting menu). The "holes" are probably caused the player wanting to "play" a part of the file that it hasn't received yet, but that can't happen if you receive (download) the whole thing before you start playing it.

Also...I just fixed another file.  So, I'll tell Henk, too.

The new, corrected file is:  http://www.geocities.com/geranimom/TheCrowsKnowMe.mp3

Henk has had this hosted at HIS site, but, it should be fine now to link to the new file, and I think it's a smaller-sized one, too.

Wendy,

I adjusted two links, so the page is up-to-date now.

And.... what a sweet voice :wub:

And.... what a sweet voice  :wub:

Aw, shucks...t'anks! :rolleyes:

I am just simply happy these days to be able to squeak out some sound. For years I've been on/off with laryngitis and respiratory stuff that has made it impossible to even talk much sometimes, let alone sing! I finally just adopted a more 'do-it--or-die' attitude, and, lo and behold, it didn't kill me. (...yet. :D )

One more!

(Of course I'm still up...I had to watch the Patriots win the Superbowl. Sorry, you Pennsylvanian squeezers...)

I was 'on a roll' today and inspired by the Patriots win, I guess, heheh...so, one more file-fixup. The NEW link is:

http://www.geocities.com/geranimom/StandByMe.mp3

Sadly, the dog is not featured on this one like she was on the last one...she was busy SLEEPING by me! :P

Do you know how to use Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer) to locate files on your computer?

Hmm, I almost signed off, then realized there were more posts in this thread than I'd seen at first!

Anyway, yes, I can find them in Windows Explorer. They sound just fine, before I upload them anywhere.

And, while I thought it was only WAVs converted to MP3s that 'broke,' I think I noted earlier (...can't even recall what I noted..!) that even the uncoverted WAVs were breaking.

Oddly enough, my daughter's BF does professional recording for bands, but...they're all just metal heads, really. Sigh. Looks like, for me, other than what I can do with my computer so far, I'll be back in the upstairs bathroom (nice slanted ceiling and an echo-y tub, though) with my cassette recorder and concertina, and birds!

Wendy, don't give up on daughter's BF. All the students I encounter at the job site listen exclusively to metal, alternative, rap (the list goes on and depresses me to recite). Their culture gives them no other reference point. I have found that they respect someone who makes live music however.

Ask some questions. The daugher's BF might suprise you. My ex-students now working for ITS here get a kick out of helping the odd feller with his singin' an' squeezin'. They manipulate these machines as you and I would the Albion.

P.S. I think Jim was trying to help me avoid "tunus Interuptus" by downloading the whole file and saving it before opening it. At some point today I shall try just that. I shall become a right-click master...perhaps. <_<

Edited by Mark Evans

...... All the students I encounter at the job site listen exclusively to metal, alternative, rap ......

Oh, they're great 'kids,' it's just that it's totally beyond me how anyone can like 'metal,' and in large doses. Then again, I am a headache/migraine sufferer, so...I guess I just don't have the right head.

I have always been irritated by all our over-guitared music, anyway. Even though I used to play the guitar. Come to think of it, though, I don't really like a lot of anything, all at once (except maybe chocolate). I am kind of a 'haiku' person. I've wondered at times if this trait is maybe just Adult ADD, but, no. That's not it.

P.S. I think Jim was trying to help me avoid "tunus Interuptus" by downloading the whole file and saving it before opening it.  At some point today I shall try just that.  I shall become a right-click master...perhaps. <_<

Thanks for explaining what Jim meant...I hadn't quite 'gotten it,' exactly, but then I did. I picked one of my own files, and another, that had gaps in them, and right-clicked/saved -- and they played just fine!

Limonaire is a maker of a crank organ typical in Europe durning l9th and early 20th century (I'm sure Stephen can give full information on this instrument). Wonderful...The music cards were folded and placed in a tray feeding them into the instrument (quite a valuable antique as were those yellowed cards).

This fellow, Paul Luc had the most charming collection of Musette music and of course Edith Piaf. He would sing with them and people would gather and sing along. I bought one of his cassettes and wore it completely out. He was a most charming gentleman and added to my enjoyment of some wonderful evenings in a lovely city.

...and of course Edith Piaf. 

I was just thinking, lately, of finding some of her recordings or songs to listen to...caught a bit on a television show recently.

Anyway, the more I listen to the Recorded Tune Links of the Anglo players, I'm thinking I'd like to try learning to play an Anglo, too, in addition to my English concertina.

I said before that I didn't want to bother with having to think of bellows direction along with the tone I was getting (the word 'diatonic' figures in there, somehow...), but, the more I play the English, the more I see that I can't really control the bellows phrasing exactly how I'd like to, anyway -- simply because they're too short (and I wouldn't go for long ones, really).

In other words, I have to be conscious of the the bellows phrasing as separate from my vocal phrasing, anyway. And, I've been managing to do this, little by little...so, maybe I wouldn't mind learning the Anglo.

If anyone's interested, Ian (my duo partner) and I have submitted a track for The Fall's online forum's reinterpretation of the 1985 LP "This Nation's Saving Grace". For those who don't know, The Fall came out of the punk scene in Manchester in the late 70s but were never really a punk group - far too left-field for that - and are one of my real musical obsessions... believe it or not we actually got the band's consent to do this. :)

The download page for the album is here - be warned, our version is deliberately pretty wayward and odd (though probably quite normal compared with some of the versions...)

For what it's worth, the concertina part is slowed down and backwards, and is played on a Wheatstone Maccann duet... not that it's particularly possible to tell that from the recording - dictaphones ahoy! :lol:

Wendy me darlin' don't defect da ranks! Hold fast! That diatonic beast is a different stripe altogedder! May suit you to a tee, then again...could take ye unawares an' we'd loose our Bellowbelle ta limbo an' a trip across da river Stix! :unsure:

What I'm about to say could draw a "tread drift" warning and I'm already holding one penalty card from another thread...but think of EC bellows control as punctuation within a sentence. For me it brings a little more of an organic feel to the instrument which for sure from the get-go is a part of the anglo (Get thee back).

Hold da line me dearie, an' listen not to the Siren's song! :D

Now quiet, just between you an' me...if ya must an' figger out da beast, let me know how ya did it...all quiet like, an' promise not ta tell.

Wendy me darlin' don't defect da ranks!  Hold fast!  That diatonic beast is a different stripe altogedder! 

:huh: I know! WHAT WAS I THINKING???? :o

I was most certainly having one of those foreshadowings of 'senior moments.'

I think, too, it's just a little bit of gadget-itis. But, no more new toys with buttons, for a long, long time. I have an English concertina AND a piano-accordion. Both call to me.

Also, after reading THIS post and the subsequent related posts, I started to come back to my senses! :D

As for the spindrift...uh, driftwood...seaspray...no, wait....THREAD DRIFT!!! That's it...I'm sorry, everyone, and I'll try to get my files straight.

And yes, it is after 1 a.m. here, but I am online since I just got back from a long drive and won't be rushing to the computer anytime soon in the morning.