Recorded Tune Link Page.

I don't know why I didn't give you this earlier. Perhaps I thought I had. Here's a recording of me from about 10 years ago. The headings for the web page:

player

David Barnert

Cnet ID

David Barnert

instrument

Hayden Duet

brand

Wheatstone

tune

St. Margaret's Hill

genre/comp

Playford

type

WAV

MB

listen

http://www.pitt.edu/~dpm1/smh.wav

---------------

I had mentioned earlier that the Windows Media files don't play on my browser (AOL for Mac OSX). Fair enough. But Jim's mp3 files also appear as garbled text. I have no trouble with the other mp3 files.

- edited for typo -

Edited by David Barnert

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know whi I didn't give you this earlier. Perhaps I thought I had. Here's a recording of me from about 10 years ago.

Thanks David. Nice tune! This asks for more.. :)

I had mentioned earlier that the Windows Media files don't play on my browser (AOL for Mac OSX). Fair enough. But Jim's mp3 files also appear as garbled text. I have no trouble with the other mp3 files.

Maybe I could download Jim's tunes and load them in my software. After saving they could be O.K. for you?? What's your opinion Jim??

BTW: I have upgraded the The Recorded Tunes Link Page. A check on links shows that are some troubles with the files of Stuart Estell and Kurt Braun. Temporary problems with the internet provider I assume (?)

Maybe I could download Jim's tunes and load them in my software. After saving they could be O.K. for [Dave]?? What's your opinion Jim??

Which Jim? Certainly OK with me.

I've been meaning to re-record all my pieces and add more, but my [unprintable] Microsoft software has gone progressively from bad to worse. (Started giving me blue-screen errors whenever I tried to play any CD or record anything at all. So I uninstalled the media software, and now the operating-system installation software claims it doesn't have access to do the re-install. Aargh!)

When/if I get it fixed, I'll let you know about any updates. In the meantime, feel free to do whatever you want to get what's already there working for others.

Maybe I could download Jim's tunes and load them in my software. After saving they could be O.K. for [Dave]?? What's your opinion Jim??

Which Jim? Certainly OK with me.

When/if I get it fixed, I'll let you know about any updates. In the meantime, feel free to do whatever you want to get what's already there working for others.

On the The Recorded Tunes Link Page there is only one Jim and I've edited one of your files. The direct result is an increase of volume and a decrease of file size. David can try this modified Blue Bonnet.

Have been again at these wonderful recordings...question:

What's up with the pitch? Nothing is coming across at A=440. I'm a techno-dolt of the first order and am just able to manage turning my computer on without a problem, so could someone explain so's even I can understand. :(

Have been again at these wonderful recordings...question:

What's up with the pitch?  Nothing is coming across at A=440.  I'm a techno-dolt of the first order and am just able to manage turning my computer on without a problem, so could someone explain so's even I can understand. :(

:( Duh...

Wish I understood the question. All I know is that A-440 is the A above middle C on the piano keyboard!! :D

I do intend to fix the 'holes' in my own sound files, when I can devote myself to that. Too many other distractions, at the time. Ultimately, I may need to take a computer course so I can quit flubbing my way through things!

What's up with the pitch?  Nothing is coming across at A=440.  I'm a techno-dolt of the first order and am just able to manage turning my computer on without a problem, so could someone explain so's even I can understand. :(
Wish I understood the question. All I know is that A-440 is the A above middle C on the piano keyboard!! :D

What the question means is this: The sound files are playing a little too fast or slow, so that the A above middle C is not vibrating at 440 but at some other number a little higher or lower than 440.

I just played my link and it was right on. I should mention that although the tune is generally published in G minor, I played it in A minor, so if it sounds a whole tone sharp that's the reason.

Edited to add: Mark, try playing sound files from another site and see if the same problem manifests.

Edited by David Barnert

Thank you David. I shall give it a try with this computer as soon as the rest of me tribe awakens. My work computer also plays sound files from the music review C.Net page under pitch as well.

I was a bit unhinged yesterday. There is a beautiful version of Captain O'Kaine jig on EC that inspired me to take out my EC to have a little fun with a duet...ugh, the pitch. Things went downhill from there.

Most simple windows based programs save your recordings in the ".wav" format, which takes up a lot of space. The MPEG or MP3 format is basically a more common music or sound format that doesn't take up as much hard drive space.

To convert from Wave to MP3:

I highly recommend Freerip, a free software program that allows you to very easily convert from wav to MP3. It is actually designed to take CD tracks from your cd drive and convert them to wav or MP3 files on your computer, but the conversion tool is a little extra bonus.

1. Download Freerip and install.

2. Open Freerip and click on the "Tools" Drop down menu along the top blue bar. One of your options is "convert single wav file"

3. Ignore all the technical options and just use the drop down menu "file name". Choose your file.

4. Look at the "Output path" at the bottom. This will tell you where the new MP3 file will be saved. (You can change this is you don't like the default setting)

5. Click the convert button and away you go :)

If you need any further help, please let me know.

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Morgana :)

Thank you David, Morgana and Wendy!

The tribe got up and I now know it's the work computer that's not right. The new beastie played everything at A+440 spot on without regard to format...Halleluia!

By the way, Danny Chapman's version of Captian O'Kane's is drop dead beautiful. He transposed it from E minor to A minor. Such a haunting quality and the captian lost about 30 pounds in the process.

Now to have a conversation with the ITS guys at the job site..."God, not him again...!" :D

Edited by Mark Evans

Nothing is coming across at A=440.  I'm a techno-dolt of the first order and am just able to manage turning my computer on without a problem, so could someone explain so's even I can understand. :(

I don't think it's that you're a "techno-dolt"; it's just that there are so many things one can be doltish about. E.g., it sounds to me as if either the computer's internal clock is running at the wrong speed or your mp3 playback software is misinformed about the clock's speed. I.e., it can count to 440 OK, but its seconds are the wrong length; it's counting them at the wrong speed. Maybe somebody else -- your local ITS folks, one might hope -- can change a setting to correct the problem. (I know how to do some things with computers, but that's not one of them.)

David can try this modified Blue Bonnet.
That one works.

Thanks to Henk's help, all 24 of my sound files that are linked on his site have been converted, and the converted files have replaced the old ones.

David -- and everyone -- I hope they now work for you. (For those of you who complained that the volume was too low, they should also be a little louder.)

Yes Jim, the volume is fine now and the download time is better as well (Home computer).

You are right about the work computer. ITS says the sound card has gone off. The thing is outdated and they don't think much can be done about it as they don't stock parts for that one anymore. Was laughingly told to request a new computer....Just think I will and flat screen while yer at it. Something about hell and freezing over? :angry:

Morgana, I've been idly browsing CNet today as I procrastinate - I need to wrap up a few loose ends to get my chorusready for the Spring season- and one thing on my list of things to do was to figure out how to make an MP3 of one of the songs we're singing this season. Eureka- thanks for the timely tip! :)

• From Howard Mitchell I added one tune (I saw two tunes some time ago, but miss a nice slow air now).

• Recently Tom Lawrence was very productive, so I have added 12 tunes (4 played on his Concer-Tiny and 8 on his new Edgley G/C).

• Stuart Estell created a new web site with 5 new tunes and 6 "oldies" that had to be relinked

• Wendy Stanford published 3 new tunes/songs

• "Sport", played by Michael Eskin seems to have vanished. The entry is still on the links page, because I hope it returns (was one of my favorites!)

Thanks to Michael the tune "Sport" is back :) . The file-sizes of Jim Lucas's tunes were adjusted: they are now louder and smaller. Finally all links were checked and are OK.

Waiting for more tunes :rolleyes:

Did you receive my email with submissions??

Is there another way to submit that I'm not aware of??

Sandy

I did receive your e-mail and as far as I know there is no better way to submit tunes.

As a result there are 7 new entries on the Recorded Tunes Link Page. They are all played by Sandy on a Wheatstone Aeola. On top of that he also plays the other instruments that can be heared.

5 of the 7 tunes are composed by Sandy. From each tunes a sample of about 50 seconds can be heared.