Recorded Tune Link Page.

Well, thanks! As per my note to you -- I did add an easier-to-find category to my 'briefcase.'

I can't seem to get the links you've added to work, though. I'm wondering if it's got something to do with the type of 'website' I now have.

I don't have a regular website, I have this Yahoo! Briefcase thing. I like it and it suits me fine, but, Yahoo doesn't allow linking EXCEPT to the main site (http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bbelletunes).

I used to have a 'normal' website but it was costing too much. I've cut my costs more than in-half by just having this 'file box' type of site, now.

Sorry if this makes it not work....don't know what the trouble is. Maybe there's just a 24-hour wait, I just realized...so, I'll wait.... :)

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't seem to get the links you've added to work, though.  I'm wondering if it's got something to do with the type of 'website' I now have.

They seem to work when I click the links, although the URL's (addresses) are rather complicated.

Anyone else has a problem with the links?

Try this one as a test:

http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/40830037_171cf...CuMQtABNd2frGzb

This one works on my PC.

Yes. Me.

Your example doesn't work at all for me.

Copying the URL and using it directly also fails.

And on your Recorded Tune Links Page, none of the Wendy links (even on her name) seems to work. Those for others do.

Edited by JimLucas

Yes. Me.

Your example doesn't work at all for me.

Copying the URL and using it directly also fails.

And on your Recorded Tune Links Page, none of the Wendy links (even on her name) seems to work. Those for others do.

Thanks for the feed-back Jim. So there must be something strange (or even wrong) with my computer :(

However I allways tell people that in 99% of the cases the end-user makes a mistake and not the computer :unsure:

The bellowbelle links do not work because I forgot to add the right hyperlink and that's really my mistake!

I will organize another solution.

[Thanks for the feed-back Jim. So there must be something strange (or even wrong) with my computer  :(

Not necessarily. (See the further information below.)

However I allways tell people that in 99% of the cases the end-user makes a mistake and not the computer  :unsure:

Microsoft is an end-user?

In my experience, it's usually the "fault" of the designer or programmer of the software. (And I'm a designer-programmer.)

The bellowbelle links do not work because I forgot to add the right hyperlink and that's really my mistake!

Yeah. I discovered that.

Now about the problem(s) playing her music:

.. None of her musics would play from your web page. (File not accessible.)

.. So I went to her site, and I had no problem playing any of the four musics.

.. So I copied a couple of the URL's and tried them directly in a separate browser window, and they worked.

.. But they weren't the same as the URL's you had on your web page.

.. So I made a copy of your HTML source, inserted these "new" URL's, and tried "my"page.

.. The two URL's I hadn't changed still didn't work. Those for other contributors did. But of the two "new" ones, one worked and the other didn't

.. I went back to Wendy's page, and this time none of musics would play.

.. So I checked the URL for the music that hadn't worked in my copy, and it was different from what I had just copied.

.. I have now copied all 4 of the "new" music URL's, and all 4 work fine (they play) and repeatably from the copy I made of your web page.

.. BUT at the moment, none of them seem to work (they hang, with the hourglass showing) from Wendy's page, not even if I close it and start a new copy in a new browser.

........ BIZARRE!

I'm sending you a copy of my updated source via private email. Maybe you can make more sense of it. (But I'm not holding my breath. ;) )

:o Yikes! I don't want to clutter this thread with notes.

I think I'll just come back to this later and see what's what.

Yahoo! Briefcase (what I use) is like their photo section. If the user has made the site 'Public,' which I have (and pay the $2.95 per month or whatever it is), then anyone can click OR LINK to THE FIRST PAGE....only.

Inside 'pages' must be clicked on from that first page. It won't work like a website.

Now, as for other troubles....maybe there was just some temporary glitch going on.

Anyway, maybe the best bet is to put a 'LOOK' link, just to the one URL, etc..

Someone did offer to store my 4 files for me (thanks) and maybe that's a solution, but...I think I'll just check on this later today!

Just one more note while I'm here at the computer for a minute.

Three of the songs are my own compositions, original by me. But, 'Stand By Me' is a traditional Gospel hymn or Spiritual, which has become 'public domain' (the arrangement for concertina is mine).

The dog barking is...my dog, 'Lady' (who ain't much of one, heheh). ;) She's a pitbull.

'Stand By Me' was recorded and made known by Elvis Presley, though, I heard it first in churches, long ago. (I'm not a particular fan of either Gospel songs OR Elvis, but...after hearing these songs so much, they just sort of are part of my make-up, I guess! And, shall add...my interest is 'passive,' I am not trying to convert anyone to anything!)

Funny, eerie story about Elvis and that song, though:

I'd been practicing 'Stand By Me,' but, with a different tempo than what I've settled on, etc., and I was really wishing that I could hear someone else do it. I thought, 'Gee, Elvis Presley did that song....I wonder how he did it. Wish I could get a chance to hear it.'

A few moments later, after giving up practicing for a while, I turned on the television. And, there he was. Elvis Presley, onstage singing that exact song -- Stand By Me! I couldn't believe it!! It was a PBS special, I guess...but, I don't keep up with what's coming on, usually, and had no idea.

So, that was really something. Maybe when I talk to my cat (named Elvis), I'm reaching...other places....hmm....has Elvis really left the building???? :lol:

........ BIZARRE!

I'm sending you a copy of my updated source via private email. Maybe you can make more sense of it. (But I'm not holding my breath. ;) )

Jim and I did not come to a final conclusion, but we have our ideas about it. To make the files easy accessible, I placed them on my website and as a result they have a fixed address.

So the Recorded Tunes Links Page is reliable again.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, well, well! I have at long last gotten around to learning how to use my computer to record things and turn the results into MP3 files. My efforts are still very crude, but I've put a few of them up on this web page. Henk is, of course, welcome to add these to his links page.

I'm in the process of trying to construct a web site dedicated to concertinas, with much more than just sound files... and eventually much better quality in those. So any comments, questions, etc. -- on the web site, the music, or whatever -- are welcome. They don't even have to be polite, and you can send me an email directly from that web page (click the link at the bottom).

Edited to add this postscript: In particular, I'd like to know if anything in the formatting of my page looks strange to any of you, and if so, what browser you're using. My own browser is an older version of MS Internet Explorer, and it definitely does some things -- especially with photos -- that are both contrary to the HTML standard and unpredictable (at least by me, so far). On the other hand, I've seen other distortions in more recent MSIE versions and on Macs, and I'd like to be able to develop pages that look reasonable in all common browsers. The only way to do that is to learn what things don't look right, and where and when.

Edited again to say I've just added three more of my own tunes. Enough for tonight. -_-

Edited by JimLucas

I'll come back to you when I have heard all other recordings.

Now I heard all tunes and songs and I am impressed by the variety of tunes and songs!

For me there is a lot of stuff to be learned and it gives me new inspiration as well.

Thanks Jim!

P.S.: Your site looks good. In general you are on the safe side by developing a page, while using a rather old browser. In that way you have the highest probability that "everyone" sees the page as you intended.

(edited because I pressed too soon on the "submit" button, and because I forgot the P.S.)

Edited by Henk van Aalten

In general you are on the safe side by developing a page, while using a rather old browser. In that way you have the highest probability that "everyone" sees the page as you intended.

I wish that were true.

Two friends -- a couple -- have what are supposed to be identical copies of MS operating system and browser on their machines, each using the default install, so all parameters should also be the same. Yet on one machine the left-hand photo was too small and the right-hand one too large, and on the other machine it was the reverse! :angry:

Two friends -- a couple -- have what are supposed to be identical copies of MS operating system and browser on their machines, each using the default install, so all parameters should also be the same.  Yet on one machine the left-hand photo was too small and the right-hand one too large, and on the other machine it was the reverse!  :angry:

Jim I've emailed you with some thoughts on the page which will overcome this problem.

Nice tunes by the way ;)

I've just installed a new version of my web page with short MP3 recordings of me, adding a few more items and incorporating a few technical suggestions (though not all) from folks here.

New items include:

.. Elsie Marley for Henk ... me singing & playing a couple of verses

.. Monk's March & Proudlock's Hornpipe (discussed in the George Fox Topic)

.. a reel and a hornpipe

.. a couple more songs

Technical changes:

.. some font changes (which I hope improves readability; Lester suggested even more than I did)

.. eliminated spaces from file names (for unix users)

.. "improved" (more stable, I hope) pictures & formatting

.. a few textual changes

Henk made a suggestion regarding adjusting the volume on the MP3 files, which I think may be a good one, but I'm putting off doing that until later, because it takes too long to upload "large" files to my ISP.

The page format is still under development. I will probably add a few more recordings before I consider re-recording any of what's there, but eventually I will try to improve on some of those takes.

Once again, I would appreciate any comments, and there's a link at the bottom of the page for you to email me about the site.

• 2 months later...