A Happy Bunny

A few hours ago I received my concertina from Chris Algar. Now, as Chris explained to me when I ordered it, this is a bog standard Lachenal English concertina, albeit a 'decent instrument'; nevertheless I am falling in love with it and hating it in equal measure. I always thought myself as having small hands for a bloke but now they seem to be sides of beef.

No doubt this will come as no surprise to many of you but I found Chris Algar to be very helpful, and ordering from him was free of any of the usual aggravation found when doing business with most anyone else these days alas. So thanks to Mr Algar and also to Tallship who gave me useful help too. For fear of offending anyone, I must add that a well-known repairer rang me back and he also was most helpful. Unfortunately, I have forgotten his name.

I salute the creators and maintainers of this site too.

But enough currying favour and grovelling: back to the infernal agony of practice.

Ian

No doubt this will come as no surprise to many of you but I found Chris Algar to be very helpful

No surprise there - Chris has a well-deserved reputation for helpfulness and honesty in his business dealings, as a forum search on his name will confirm! Glad you're enjoying your new concertina. :)

I have a similar instrument from Chris and had the same excellent service from him, he is also very helpfull with any little problems that crop up for a new player. Its now two years of trouble free playing

:rolleyes: Ken

Hi Ian, good to hear the 'tina arrived safe and sound. Now I did warn you not to be disheartened if you couldn't play The Flight of the Bumble Bee twenty minutes after ripping open the box. :D

As well as using tutor books you should watch an excellent series of videos on youtube all to do with starting out on the English concertina.

Have fun!

Pete.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone and I will also check those videos Pete. The fact that I can crack a joke about this means I am still on track I think.

Ian

PS Having looked at the first video by Martyn I am impressed by his work here. He has created something beyond what many professional recordings I have seen in other areas achieved and I join a large group of people grateful for his efforts. Now, if only I could somehow entice him round for a glass or three and a lesson...

Edited by Hereward

Hi Ian

Pete's right on track with that good series. Here are all the links in one place.

English Concertina for Beginners Part 1

English Concertina for Beginners Part 2

English Concertina for Beginners Part 3

English Concertina for Beginners Part 4

English Concertina for Beginners Part 5

English Concertina for Beginners Part 6

English Concertina for Beginners Part 7

English Concertina for Beginners Part 8

English Concertina for Beginners Part 9

English Concertina for Beginners Part 10

English Concertina for Beginners Part 11a

English Concertina for Beginners Part 11b

English Concertina for Beginners Part 12 ... What's Inside

English Concertina for Beginners Part 13a

English Concertina for Beginners Part 13b

English Concertina for Beginners Part 14

English Concertina for Beginners Part 15

English Concertina for Beginners Part 16

For those that like this series, here's a hint that may help

Saving Concertina Videos To My Computer; The Easy Way, For viewing at a later date:

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=6747

Leo

Now, as Chris explained to me when I ordered it, this is a bog standard Lachenal English concertina, albeit a 'decent instrument'; nevertheless I am falling in love with it and hating it in equal measure. I always thought myself as having small hands for a bloke but now they seem to be sides of beef.

Hi, Ian,

And welcome to the forum!

I know what you mean about Chris Algar - I just recently bought my first "decent instrument" from him. It's also a Lachenal, but a Crane/Triumph duet. This also makes me a beginner, because up to now I've played Anglo concertina. Even so, my hands were too big for the duet at the start, but the instrument has since grown and my hands have shrunk, so now everything fits. That's a normal process. :)

Is this your very first musical instrument, or only your first concertina? And why did you decide on an English? And what kind of music do you intend to play on it?

Do tell!

Cheers,

John

Thanks for the useful links Leo.

In answer to John: I messed around with a melodeon for a few years and could play it a bit but I never really took to it. Having a concertina in my hands once convinced me this was what I wanted to play really. The limitations of melodeons was one of the down points to me and I wanted something chromatic and thus an English. I will play all sorts of music on it hopefully: classical, music hall, folk and so on. Singing with it would be good and I would also sing some of my own songs I've written over the years.

Ian