Humidity Control

As for humidifier, I'm actually using a air purifier from Venta, it's german-made and it actually purifies the air through the use of water. The beautiful thing about this is that it doesnt require filters, because the water *is* the filter. You still need to add some lotion in it, every two weeks, so that residues won't solidify. Anyway, it's a bit expensive, around US$200, but if you need your bedroom to me humidified at the same time, it's a very good alternative to your typical humidifier. A friend of mine has been using his for years, so I'd rather pay more but have something solikd that requires a bit less maintenance.

Thank you to both Bellowbelle and Azalin for your replies to my queries, which stemmed from idle curiosity rather than any immediate necessity to acquire one of these gadgets. The climate where I am living (SW England) poses no particular problems (in my experience) but I always take great care to house the instrument away from any fluctuations of temperature and humidity.

I used to have a humidifier in the house to help the house plants...and me. Now I have so many house plants, large ones too, that they keep the house humid enough. I usally water once a week in the winter. It takes around 25 gallons to make the rounds of all the plants. The house is lots more comfortable, less dust, better for the instuments and me, plus I have a jungle inside when the snow piles up outside.

Fjb

In your honor, I shall name a plant after you... hehe.

Why, thank you...

fjb

post-5174-1228139451_thumb.png

• 7 months later...
I'm wondering if something as simple as The Brown Sugar Bear would be useful inside a concertina case.

There's a clay (the bear is clay) humidifier for guitars -- the Herco Guardfather.

So, maybe simple clay discs are an option.

Of course, that doesn't cover the room where the concertina is kept... is just an addition to the case.

UPDATE on the clay discs for humidity --

I used them all winter with no problem but when I checked them recently (after not having dampened them since winter) I found black spots on all of them -- mildew or something. Maybe it's our water (eewww) but, anyway, not going to use those again.

I just ordered some Planet Wave instrument humidifiers, for next winter.

We do filter our water...but not for everything, and probably wouldn't make a dif anyway.

My understanding is that what's most damaging to wood (and so wooden instruments) is rapid changes in temperature or humidity.

So what's the effect of keeping your instrument in a steady "comfortable" environment during a season when you'll be taking it into radically different environments -- session pub, coffee house, concert hall, outdoor Morris stand -- to play it?

And do you do anything special in those situations to reduce the likelihood of damage?

My understanding is that what's most damaging to wood (and so wooden instruments) is rapid changes in temperature or humidity.

So what's the effect of keeping your instrument in a steady "comfortable" environment during a season when you'll be taking it into radically different environments -- session pub, coffee house, concert hall, outdoor Morris stand -- to play it?

And do you do anything special in those situations to reduce the likelihood of damage?

'Rapid' might be the biggest factor, but rapid or not, we've had some long, painfully dry winters...I'll hear my floorboards pop and split, and the needles on my hygrometers go way to the left (they're way to the right, at this moment). Of course, we probably 'rough it' more than our neighbors do -- very old house and so on.

I actually worry less about my concertina than the foot bass, because I do tend to grab it and play it more often, simply because it's smaller and easier to grab. So it gets the benefits of whatever room I'm in, as well as probably tons of lotion and skin cream, heheh. Concertinas probably benefit from going out to crowded rooms.