Humidity Control

After a recent topic on this question I got inspired and made myself a humidity controlled environment for my instruments. We live in an older house with steam heat and the air gets very dry in the heating season.

My concertinas and string instruments now live in a big display case (4x4x1) in the pantry. I got a digital humidity and temperature gauge made for humidors. It's a Caliber III made by Western Humidor Corporation. The cigar humidor humidifiers were too small and expensive so I found a small "digital ultrasonic humidifier" made by SPT model: SU-2081B.

It has taken some trial and error and guess work to get things stable but now my case is at 50% humidity. Even though the case has four shelves, every part of it stays at 50% +- 5% average with +- 10% range between min and max humidity as the humidifier cycles on and off. If I had a little fan in there then I bet the range would be smaller. Interesting that the three hygrometers, the one on the SPT (15% low), the Caliber III and an old spring model (15% high) read vastly different levels in the same environment. I'm assuming that the Caliber III is the correct one.

The two devices with tax and shipping cost about $85. These consumer humidifiers are inexpensive but do tend to breakdown every few years or not work at all, but so far so good. I did spend considerable time researching these components to find the best compromise between quality, price, dependability and required features. I hope someone here finds these suggestions useful.

After a recent topic on this question I got inspired and made myself a humidity controlled environment for my instruments. We live in an older house with steam heat and the air gets very dry in the heating season.

My concertinas and string instruments now live in a big display case (4x4x1) in the pantry. I got a digital humidity and temperature gauge made for humidors. It's a Caliber III made by Western Humidor Corporation. The cigar humidor humidifiers were too small and expensive so I found a small "digital ultrasonic humidifier" made by SPT model: SU-2081B.

It has taken some trial and error and guess work to get things stable but now my case is at 50% humidity. Even though the case has four shelves, every part of it stays at 50% +- 5% average with +- 10% range between min and max humidity as the humidifier cycles on and off. If I had a little fan in there then I bet the range would be smaller. Interesting that the three hygrometers, the one on the SPT (15% low), the Caliber III and an old spring model (15% high) read vastly different levels in the same environment. I'm assuming that the Caliber III is the correct one.

The two devices with tax and shipping cost about $85. These consumer humidifiers are inexpensive but do tend to breakdown every few years or not work at all, but so far so good. I did spend considerable time researching these components to find the best compromise between quality, price, dependability and required features. I hope someone here finds these suggestions useful.

Jody, how often do you have to add water? The specs would seem to indicate 3x's a day. Any concern about rust developing on the reeds? Mike

I don't think rust will be a problem. I'm only bringing the humidity level up to 50%. That's not very high. During the humid summer months the humidity stays much higher than that for weeks at a time

As for refilling... the humidifier unit has been running for days on the same tank which still looks full. Remember, it's designed to do a whole room. My box is 16 cft. and most of the time the humidifier is waiting for the humidity level to drop before turning itself on again for only another few seconds.

Colin Dipper once told me that the ideal room temperature to keep a concertina safely stored all year round, is around 60 degrees fahrenheit or 16 degrees celsius. Obviously they shouldn't be placed near live radiators in the winter or other heat sources, to prevent the drying out of the wood and possible cracking of fretwork and warping of reed pans, etc. I keep my concertinas away from direct sunlight, in a small room which is only minimally heated during cold spells to take the chill off. Alternatively, we now know what cigars and concertinas have in common, that keeps them in perfect condition! A personal humidifier. :)

Chris

Alternatively, we now know what cigars and concertinas have in common, that keeps them in perfect condition! A personal humidifier. :)

Chris

Well, my personal "personal humidifier" is a tall glass of water. Yum!

Instruments prefer a moderate steady environment that does not change. In that respect, England is much kinder to concertinas than the US. Here in NYC, both temperature and humidity in my home fluctuate wildly over the course of a year. String instruments crack and concertinas need adjustment. I'm hoping that my new case will help smooth things out.

I`m in the process of making a whole room ready to have consistent temperature and humidity through the winter, partly so my instruments remain stable, and partly so my wife does ;)

Hey, Jody, by any chance can you take a photo of the set up. I can`t picture it, and with all my guitars, I`d have to make those measurements in meters! :blink:

I`m in the process of making a whole room ready to have consistent temperature and humidity through the winter, partly so my instruments remain stable, and partly so my wife does ;)

Hey, Jody, by any chance can you take a photo of the set up. I can`t picture it, and with all my guitars, I`d have to make those measurements in meters! :blink:

Dear Refugee,

a steady wife is a steady life (works for husbands too, I suppose, but then there is no catchy rhyme).

I would like a whole room also, but that would mean making some domestic adjustments I'm not ready to do yet. Besides, I like the look of my glass case. Actually, a whole house humidity system would be a luxury that would be quite easy to do if we had forced air heat, but we don't. A whole room, like a bedroom, so you can enjoy the humidity too makes some sense. I wanted just a small case because I can't be troubled to refill the machine twice a day. The idea was to reduce my list of chores not add to it. It's been a week now and the tank still looks full.

Edited by Jody Kruskal

The humidifier Jody got might be the better one, but I have a favorite one that I found after going through a few different types of humidifiers:

The Aroma-Sonic sold by Diffuser World. I got two of them, eventually, one for nearby while sleeping and the other to have near the instruments and houseplants. What's nice is that you can add essential oil if you want. They're easy to clean and maintain, too, which is a big factor. There are about 5 timer settings, and a control knob for output. It has a nice blue light while it's on.

I have some regular humidifiers, the typical kind you'd get for under $50. or so, and I'll use them probably, but they really are a bit of a pain to manage. Bulky and klunky and a pain to constantly clean.

The Aroma Sonic gadget puts out such a thick 'cloud' that it seems like it would be wetting anything near it, but, it doesn't. I've even tested it by putting paper right in the path of the cloud and seeing what happens to it -- not even any dampness.

As far as the other stuff at the Diffuser World website goes -- I really like the Aroma Globe diffuser. I have other diffusers that are supposedly 'better,' but they get noisy -- this one is quieter. I use it often with peppermint oil in it, since mice and their friends don't care for peppermint. They won't be munching on MY bellows!!!

EDIT ADDED:

I guess I should add that you probably have to add water to this one sooner than you would to one of those klunky, bulky types. If you set it for a high output, anyway.

Edited by bellowbelle

Instruments prefer a moderate steady environment that does not change. In that respect, England is much kinder to concertinas than the US. Here in NYC, both temperature and humidity in my home fluctuate wildly over the course of a year. String instruments crack and concertinas need adjustment. I'm hoping that my new case will help smooth things out.

Interesting point - the climate! I have a theory that the climate is one of the most influential factors in forming a culture ...

Here in western Europe, the situation is similar to that in England as to humidity. Temperatures do vary more, but the traditional (and modern) building materials buffer the heat and cold. These were the conditions that formed European musical instruments, with spruce for the bellies of stringed instruments and solid wood reedpans in concertinas, and the same techniques were taken to the New World. Your fiddles, guitars, mandolins and concertinas are basically European instruments. But it is noticeable that cedar is widely used for stringed instruments in America to replace spruce, and I read on the website of some US concertina maker that he uses laminated reedpans to void warping and cracking.

Are these substitutes for traditional European woods that are not so readily available in America, or are they a conscious attempt to adapt to the climate?

Cheers,

John

I used to have a humidifier in the house to help the house plants...and me. Now I have so many house plants, large ones too, that they keep the house humid enough. I usally water once a week in the winter. It takes around 25 gallons to make the rounds of all the plants. The house is lots more comfortable, less dust, better for the instuments and me, plus I have a jungle inside when the snow piles up outside.

Fjb

I used to have a humidifier in the house to help the house plants...and me. Now I have so many house plants, large ones too, that they keep the house humid enough. I usally water once a week in the winter. It takes around 25 gallons to make the rounds of all the plants. The house is lots more comfortable, less dust, better for the instuments and me, plus I have a jungle inside when the snow piles up outside.

Fjb

Oooooh, I like that solution. A green living humidifying jungle at home.

A number of times I've been walking in the city with snow and slush on the ground and falling from the sky. You know the kind of day, when the wind tries to find a way inside your coat to get right down your collar. And then, with my head tucked down and my shoulders tucked up, I happen to pass a warm shop window with soft tropical light inviting me inside. I step inside for relief and I'm transported to Hawaii for a few minutes of vacation at the florists shop.

Fjb

My plants thank you, and you may have just helped save their lives...

I was considering clearing my own indoor 'jungle' to have more space. Nevermind the prayers of those so-called 'prayer plants.' But, more space never seems to last, anyway, and that's a very good idea, employing more plants as humidifiers. Saves on the electric bill, too! :rolleyes: In your honor, I shall name a plant after you... hehe.

Fjb

I considered that as well last year.

Last winter I unscrewed the instrument and apparently it had dried out so much that I had problems putting it back together again.

I´ve got a little hygrometer now and some more plants and the humidity in the living room - and that´s where the instruments are - is almost constant at 50% at the moment.

So this solution is looking good and (at the moment) effective as well.

Christian

Check out some of the humidifiers for cases, at The Woodwind & Brasswind: http://www.wwbw.com/Search.list?N=61&Ntt=humidifier

They have a (by phone) sale today but only for about 3 more hours.

Anyway, these humidifiers are a step up from my rice-in-old-film-case homemade type!

Does a humidifier simply absorb excess moisture in the atmosphere or does it, at the same time, maintain sufficient moisture when the existing atmosphere might perhaps be becoming too dry ? Is a humidifier something which can be preset to maintain a specific level of humidity in the atmosphere ? Presumably there is an optimum moisture level depending upon a particular requirement ? Excuse my ignorance.

Check out some of the humidifiers for cases, at The Woodwind & Brasswind: http://www.wwbw.com/Search.list?N=61&Ntt=humidifier

They have a (by phone) sale today but only for about 3 more hours.

Anyway, these humidifiers are a step up from my rice-in-old-film-case homemade type!

Does a humidifier simply absorb excess moisture in the atmosphere or does it, at the same time, maintain sufficient moisture when the existing atmosphere might perhaps be becoming too dry ? Is a humidifier something which can be preset to maintain a specific level of humidity in the atmosphere ? Presumably there is an optimum moisture level depending upon a particular requirement ? Excuse my ignorance.

Hi, Rod,

The simple answer (somebody else will have to give you the complicated ones :blink: ) is that a DE-humidifier would absorb/remove excess moisture, while a humidifier adds moisture.

Some humidifiers are sophisticated enough to have hygrometer settings so that once the room (or, guitar case, whatever) has reached the desired humidity level -- usually said to be about 50%, I think -- they will rest or shut off.

I have a few simple low-cost hygrometers here and there in the house, though, basically anything short of actual rainfall is still too dry for me! So, in the winter, I don't even look at the gauges much, since it's never humid enough.

I'm not sure if there exists a machine that would both add and subtract moisture in a room, but I know that some of the small gadgets made for guitar cases and so on DO perform both. That's supposedly what my rice thing did -- and I can't even remember if I thought of that myself or if it was someone else's idea....oh yeah, I remember now....

I think it was someone else that said they kept a dampened piece of sponge in a case like a roll of 35mm film comes in, with some holes in the lid. Then this goes in the concertina case. I have done that, and in fact I've added essential oil to freshen it up a bit, after a while. So the idea is to keep the sponge damp.

So, I did this, and then used a second film case (with holes in it) in my concertina case, with rice in it. Rice absorbs moisture. I guess I was hoping the wet sponge and the rice would create a balance**.

As for what I found at the store I mentioned, above -- I know they're made for instrument cases, but I don't know if those gadgets would remove excess water. I'll have to take a second look (...I didn't take advantage of their sale today!).

I wish we didn't even have to bother with fussing over humidity issues, but things can get pretty bad here if I don't.

My plants will help... as was said. I don't over-water them in the winter, though, since I'm afraid the water will freeze in the pots* or be too cold for the plants.

Edit(s) added:

*Probably never gets THAT cold in here, but... maybe close!

**Sounds kinda nuts, now that I think about it.

Edited by bellowbelle

I'm wondering if something as simple as The Brown Sugar Bear would be useful inside a concertina case.

There's a clay (the bear is clay) humidifier for guitars -- the Herco Guardfather.

So, maybe simple clay discs are an option.

Of course, that doesn't cover the room where the concertina is kept... is just an addition to the case.

As for humidifier, I'm actually using a air purifier from Venta, it's german-made and it actually purifies the air through the use of water. The beautiful thing about this is that it doesnt require filters, because the water *is* the filter. You still need to add some lotion in it, every two weeks, so that residues won't solidify. Anyway, it's a bit expensive, around US$200, but if you need your bedroom to me humidified at the same time, it's a very good alternative to your typical humidifier. A friend of mine has been using his for years, so I'd rather pay more but have something solikd that requires a bit less maintenance.