Now You Don't See One of These Every Day

Pete Dunk

you could always put your resources together and buy it then share it round those who paid in? ;)

We could invent a new party game - Pass the Concertina. You know ...... when the music stops, the person left holding 'tina has to play a tune. :unsure:

or play a tune till you get stuck then pass it on :P

Then one greedy sod might hog it all night!

fine by me. :P

Yes ....... but they might be using your concertina! :blink:

In mint condition possibly because it's such a rarity. Having the buttons re-plated in 24ct gold to restore it to its former glory wouldn't be cheap though.

Like anything its worth what someone is prepared to pay for it, if I were rich I'd probably grab it because its a lovely thing and it may not pass this way again in my lifetime.

Wim Wakker will make you a beautiful concertina with amboyna veneered ends and gold plated keys and finger slides, but the ends won't be raised and it will cost a lot of wonga - but that's not to say it won't be worth every penny!

Pete.

0 bids yet ..... Hmmmm.. what can I sell!

Your car? :D

Actually - I think I'd prefer that small size Aeola treble he's selling (is Chris A. aiming at the Christmas market :lol: - I've dropped hints to relatives but I don't think they're working)

ps my car wouldn't raise enough to put down a deposit on either of these!

In mint condition possibly because it's such a rarity. Having the buttons re-plated in 24ct gold to restore it to its former glory wouldn't be cheap though.

Like anything its worth what someone is prepared to pay for it, if I were rich I'd probably grab it because its a lovely thing and it may not pass this way again in my lifetime.

Wim Wakker will make you a beautiful concertina with amboyna veneered ends and gold plated keys and finger slides, but the ends won't be raised and it will cost a lot of wonga - but that's not to say it won't be worth every penny!

Pete.

I agree that Wim Wakker's concertina would be beautiful and costly but it would be a new one. To a certain extent the value of this concertina lies not only in it's condition but also in it's age and history. I will not lie though, I would like it for my self and I have almost justified it's purchase (only to me, certainly not the better half).

Actually - I think I'd prefer that small size Aeola treble he's selling (is Chris A. aiming at the Christmas market :lol: - I've dropped hints to relatives but I don't think they're working)

Yes, me too. It's not just a rarity thing and rightly or wrongly I have a bias for Wheatstone concertinas and this example is simply too stunning for words!

Santa is a nasty man and says I can't have it. Boo! :(

But, but... who'd pay that much for an english?!? B)

Wait and see.

I thought that I´d seen two and W. Wakker just recently sold them.

Can´t remember the price...

Edeophones

Also, neither was a tenor-treble.

With some players, that takes a significant premium.

But, but... who'd pay that much for an english?!? B)
A concertina player. :rolleyes:

A musician.

Presumably part of the price premium on this one is the amboyna wood finish, which is of merely cosmetic value.

Not at all. In my experience, amboyna-veneered ends give an instrument an identifiably different tone quality. So does tortoise shell (different from amboyna). I would think the same is true of many particular woods.

But... I've also never seen or heard of an amboyna-ended instrument that wasn't top-of-the-line in both design and construction. So even if amboyna's value were "merely cosmetic", it's a sign that the instrument is among the best of the best from its maker.

Santa is a nasty man and says I can't have it. Boo! :(

Well, he probably wants it for himself. :ph34r:

So, it did sell after all & went for £3,300!!!!!

I wonder, will a high sale price like that have a tendency to push up the prices on other English Concertinas, for the next wee while?

Why should it Dick? The price of Ford cortinas doesn't rise when someone sells a ferrari.

Anyway it's not a high price for thing of such rarity, quality and usefulness combined, is it? (Look what you'd get in the Anglo world for that money.) I suspect the new owner is feeling pleased with himself.