How heavy is your concertina?

Ishtar

According to my kitchen scales, mine weighs 1550g.

Is that heavy for an English?

Truly, I'm not feeble (I've just moved 4 cubic metres of wood by meself), but I can't play the concertina unsupported for more than about 30 seconds. Just too much weight on the pinkies, it hurts!

Is this a common problem with the English, or is the Stagi Gremlin unusual?

According to my kitchen scales, mine weighs 1550g. Is that heavy for an English?

I think that is pretty par for the course though there is a large spread depending on vintage, range, model, end material, etc. Our Morse Englishes weigh in at 1009g which is probably the lightest of any of the treble range Englishes out there.

-- Rich --

Sally's wooden ended Wheatstone treble weighs 1124g. My metal ended Wheatstone treble weighs 1250g. My tenor/treble Æola weighs in at a hefty 1918g!

So yes, I would think 1550g is pretty heavy for a treble concertina, particularly if the ends are wooden.

Pete.

Wheatstone Æola EC, Wooden ended, Extended Treble (56 keys), 6 folds: 1200g (on a kitchen scale as well)

Sally's wooden ended Wheatstone treble weighs 1124g. My metal ended Wheatstone treble weighs 1250g. My tenor/treble Æola weighs in at a hefty 1918g!

So Chris Algar is right that the difference in weight between a Treble and a Extended Treble isn't such a big deal.

Edited by Leonard

So Chris Algar is right that the difference in weight between a Treble and a Extended Treble isn't such a big deal.

No idea, I've never owned one. I do know that an extended treble has the same dimensions as a standard treble so you'd be adding the weight of eight reeds/shoes and eight buttons/arms etc.; not much weight perhaps, in the great scheme of things. My tenor/treble Æola is quite unusual however, it has eight fold bellows (and truly gross 'decorative' papers!).

My Concertina connection Jackie weighs 1410g - so that's around average/slightly higher? I haven't had much problem with finger strain, but then I have only been playing for a fortnight and most of that sitting down... :P

Is that heavy for an English?

Is this a common problem with the English, or is the Stagi Gremlin unusual?

Ishtar,

Let me "weigh in " on this one :lol:

My Stagi 30-b Anglo, metal ends and buttons, new Concertina Connection 6-fold bellows: 1175 g.

My Lachenal 48-b Crane duet, wood ends, metal buttons, 6-fold bellows: 1390 g.

So my Stagi is considerably lighter than yours :P

Having played the Stagi for 10 years, I noticed the 215 extra grammes as soon as I got the Lachenal in my hands. At first, I found it too heavy to play unsupported, but now, after about 2 1/2 months, with the straps optimally adjusted and more familiarity with the layout, I'm starting to play standing. But it's still 160 g. lighter than your English, and it's got handstraps!

Cheers,

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I had always thought my Jeffries Duet was a bit weighty - I've just checked....it's 2.25kgs!

It does get a bit heavy after a while whilst standing up when playing for morris.

I think my Æola Baritone Trumps your Duet wolsop. It weighs in at 2041g!

...................... Any Bass players out there? ;)

I had always thought my Jeffries Duet was a bit weighty - I've just checked....it's 2.25kgs!

It does get a bit heavy after a while whilst standing up when playing for morris.

I think my Æola Baritone Trumps your Duet wolsop. It weighs in at 2041g!

...................... Any Bass players out there? ;)

Sorry Dick, Wolosp's Duet is 2.25kgs = 2250g :P

Sorry Dick, Wolosp's Duet is 2.25kgs = 2250g :P

............ Awwwwww Schucks! :(

Looks I spend far too much time playing Concertina & just not enough time learning about these strange, alien, weights & measures thingies! :P

I stand corrected!

{ in the corner, at the back of the class! } 12.gif