Fretwork Patterns?

I've been thinking of trying my hand at making a concertina for a while now and have just started to draw up plans. Unfortunately, I'm not much of an artist with pencil and paper, so I'm kind of stuck for a fretwork pattern. This being said, I'm in need of a fretwork pattern for both ends of a 30 button anglo concertina.

If anyone has any idea where I can get a hold of a pattern like this, I'd be grateful.

Lep

Edited by Jewish Leprechaun

Contact Bob Tedrow, Wally Carroll, Geoff Crabb or Frank Edgely they use a variety of fretwork patterns on their concertinas. Some designs are traditional i.e. Jeffries, Linota, Crabb, Wheatstone types and some are original. Some people prefer originality and others prefer to go with the tried and true fretworks. Bob, Wally, Geoff and Frank are members of this forum.

• 2 months later...

Ok, I've been working on other things lately and now I'm back to the fretwork. Somebody on the website gave me a great pattern for fretwork and I really like it. Laugh if you want, but at first I was planning on using a coping saw to cut it out, unrealistic I know. Thing's have changed and I've gotten my old shopsmith jigsaw up and running with a small multi-directional blade on it. Now, I see how much of a pain it is to take the blade in and out for every cut, so I'm looking for a relatively easy fretwork pattern. Actually, I've found one. It's Frank Edgley's pattern on his Black Traditional concertina, the Celtic knots. I've tried to contact Frank, but I can't get a hold of him. Any suggestions for how to get the pattern or a similar pattern.

Laugh if you want, but at first I was planning on using a coping saw to cut it out, unrealistic I know.

Now, I see how much of a pain it is to take the blade in and out for every cut, so I'm looking for a relatively easy fretwork pattern.

This is no laughing matter - a coping saw works fine. No matter what tool, we can't get away from changing of the blade from one section to the next and I am sure that process is easier with the hand tool.

I am still using the coping saw I got when I was 6 or 7. I thought it had disappeared when I needed it for my fretwork and I bought a new. I don't know where it was made (I won't mention the 'C'-word) but it has gone to the scrapyard now, after I found the old one. Things aren't what they used to be... 'cheap' seems to be one of the main driving forces today and the adverts might just as well say: "It doesn't work - but it is cheap..."

/Henrik

well, do you have a picture of the concertina, parallel to the edges? do you have an example concertina? it would not be too hard to make up a pattern for yourself if you knew the scale of a picture or an instrument to measure.

These are the only pictures I have and unfortunately neither are front on.

http://www.concertinas.ca/images/Blacktrad1.jpg.JPG

http://www.concertinas.ca/images/Blacktrad2.jpg.JPG

Laugh if you want, but at first I was planning on using a coping saw to cut it out, unrealistic I know.

Now, I see how much of a pain it is to take the blade in and out for every cut, so I'm looking for a relatively easy fretwork pattern.

This is no laughing matter - a coping saw works fine. No matter what tool, we can't get away from changing of the blade from one section to the next and I am sure that process is easier with the hand tool.

I am still using the coping saw I got when I was 6 or 7. I thought it had disappeared when I needed it for my fretwork and I bought a new. I don't know where it was made (I won't mention the 'C'-word) but it has gone to the scrapyard now, after I found the old one. Things aren't what they used to be... 'cheap' seems to be one of the main driving forces today and the adverts might just as well say: "It doesn't work - but it is cheap..."

/Henrik

I know exactly what you are talking about. I was thinking of purchasing a scroll saw. Then, I found out what they cost and what happens to them after you put some wear and tear on them. For the specific model I was looking at, it cost about $500 and after so many uses of tightening up the scroll saw blade, the tightening mechanism broke. I wasn't about to spend that kind of money for something that just broke after a few uses. Fortunately for me I fixed up the old jig saw put a scroll saw blade in and it works wonderfully and I didn't have to spend a dime.

i'm thinking the math on that shouldnt be too hard. i have to take an astronomy class for gen eds, and it has really given me a new perspective on things. these people were able to derive planetary motion without calculators or computers, and the math that they had to do was very complex. if you know the length of each side, shouldnt it be a series of ratios between the actual length and the measured lengths?

The length of each of my concertina sides is 3.5in. I did not think that ratios would work, because of the angles that the pictures were taken at, but I'll give anything a try. Of course I have no idea how to go about starting this. I suppose I could make a grid on the first picture than just make it larger on a larger grid, but won't those angles throw off all of that? :huh: Maybe someone out there on cnet has a concertina with this pattern and could take a picture of it front on and post the picture.

I've found one. It's Frank Edgley's pattern on his Black Traditional concertina, the Celtic knots. I've tried to contact Frank, but I can't get a hold of him. Any suggestions for how to get the pattern or a similar pattern.

Even if you're only making the concertina for your personal use, rather than commercial production, I feel it would at least be courteous to get Frank's permission. Assuming it's his design, he owns the copyright. If he's happy for you to copy it, no doubt he can provide you with the pattern, and if he objects then you shouldn't be using it anyway.

I've found one. It's Frank Edgley's pattern on his Black Traditional concertina, the Celtic knots. I've tried to contact Frank, but I can't get a hold of him. Any suggestions for how to get the pattern or a similar pattern.

Even if you're only making the concertina for your personal use, rather than commercial production, I feel it would at least be courteous to get Frank's permission. Assuming it's his design, he owns the copyright. If he's happy for you to copy it, no doubt he can provide you with the pattern, and if he objects then you shouldn't be using it anyway.

I definitely agree with you. Unfortunately, much to my disappointment, I simply can't get a hold of him through email, phone, or personal message on cnet. :( I hoped it would be easy to contact him, but it hasn't.

I definitely agree with you. Unfortunately, much to my disappointment, I simply can't get a hold of him through email, phone, or personal message on cnet. :( I hoped it would be easy to contact him, but it hasn't.

how long have you been trying? he may be out of town.

how long have you been trying? he may be out of town.

I'm afraid it's been close to a month since the first email and I know for a fact he's not out of town. <_<