Do you have 46 seconds to spare?

Ishtar

This is a little French ditty called "Chantons pour passer le temps". I've put a couple of little harmonies in, but I'm not sure if you can hear them or not.

Someone told me the other night that I looked "crispée", all tensed up, and I can see that, but I'm not sure how to get over it. I've tried playing with it resting on just one leg, in the hope of looking more relaxed, but it's just too heavy to do for any length of time.

In spite of that, I think I'm getting a tiny bit better. Or am I? :ph34r: I'm still not entirely sure how to deal with the bellows though, and that's still a wee bit random, so any suggestion would be welcome.

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=gSeRGuW2i-g

Thank you! :)

Edited by Ishtar

This is a little French ditty called "Chantons pour passer le temps". I've put a couple of little harmonies in, but I'm not sure if you can hear them or not.

Someone told me the other night that I looked "crispée", all tensed up, and I can see that, but I'm not sure how to get over it. I've tried playing with it resting on just one leg, in the hope of looking more relaxed, but it's just too heavy to do for any length of time.

In spite of that, I think I'm getting a tiny bit better. Or am I? :ph34r: I'm still not entirely sure how to deal with the bellows though, and that's still a wee bit random, so any suggestion would be welcome.

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=gSeRGuW2i-g

Thank you! :)

Well, I don't know the piece, but there doesn't sound to be too much wrong with your playing: well done!

Reading your posting, I expected you to look more tense than you do. It's never as easy playing in front of people, or to a camera. In fact, I find playing to a camera harder than a live audience. With an audience, you can get away with little errors, since they can't go back and "listen again". With any form of recording, it's there for "all time", either 100% right, or with errors.

I'd say, relax and don't worry. You clearly have a good base from which to progress, and your playing will only improve.

Regards,

Peter.

I agree with both above posts, nice playing. Folk music to me is divided into dance music, and songs ( tunes from songs). If you think like a singer, or dancer the rhythm seems to flow more naturally, and a sense of enjoyment comes through to the listener. I also find that playing from memory in public is the only way for me. The crutch and security of sheet music can distract the interaction of the performer with the listener. As for position, I assume this instrument is a little large compared to some, and comfort could be a problem. I looked at the other video you posted, and you seemed to be looking off camera a the music also.

I think it sounds great..added your vid to my faves :)

I'm usually frowning coz I'm concentrating so hard when I play.

It's never as easy playing in front of people, or to a camera. In fact, I find playing to a camera harder than a live audience. With an audience, you can get away with little errors, since they can't go back and "listen again". With any form of recording, it's there for "all time", either 100% right, or with errors.

I prefer playing to a camera rather than a real person. I can edit a video and start again as many times as I like without the camera getting annoyed or bored or judging me.

Thank you, everyone, you've been a lovely audience. :)

Henk - sunny yes, but cold! I was over in Provence at the weekend, and there was a heavy frost on the ground in the mornings. I had to buy a woolly hat and scarf and slippers.

Lawrence - the music will go. It's there to help me get through the tune for the video really. This isn't a difficult tune, but there is a repetition that takes you by surprise, just as you feel you're coming to the end. So it's not "in my blood" yet, but it's not far off.

LDT - too kind! :) I looked for sheet music for you, and you might find an ABC here, it's second last in the "Chants de mer et de marins" section. http://diato.org/tablat.htm#tab2

Peter and Catty - I will try to be the soul of Zen. :D