Is this a Lachenal or a copy?

WendyG

Wendy,Here is another Nickolds with very similar internal features to yours.The design on the end seems to be the more typical fret used by them,unfortunately nowhere near as pretty as Gregs.Regards David.post-536-1227482015_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the pic, David. I have not seen one like this.

Greg

...It looks very similar to the lower end Lachenals, but the label (where the Lachenal label would be) states "T. Bennet & Bennet, manufacturers, St. George's Mansion, 81 Theobalds Rd., London, so is it a copy.....

I had hoped to be able to find Bennet & Bennet in a directory, and so give you a rough date, but no luck at all. 81 Theobalds Rd was a pub from before 1848 to c.1890 when they changed the numbers, and after that 81 was other businesses. No Bennet & Bennet anywhere in Theobalds Rd during this period. However, one little thing intrigues me. Bedford Row, home of Messrs Lachenal, is just off Theobalds Rd. Why would someone be selling Nickolds instruments so near to Lachenal? I suppose it could have been pre Lachenal (before 1859), but I like to think of some shady dealings going on behind the pub counter.... ere guv, we can do you one cheaper an' just as good.

I've enjoyed this thread immensely and learned quite a lot along the way. First thing I learned was to trust my initial instincts, I started off by saying this didn't look like a Lachenal but talked myself into thinking it was. All the while there was something nagging at me about the reed pan because I'd never seen a 20 button Lachenal with a fully fitted one, they're always 'narrow' along two sides, then again I've only seen a few and perhaps they differed from decade to decade. <_<

The angle of the dovetail slots for the reed shoes looked odd too although I completely missed the oddly shaped shoes. All is filed away safely for future reference now.

So Wendy, how about a blow by blow account of your adventures, trials, tribulations, triumphs and (hopefully no) disasters as a fledgling repairer/restorer? Do you intend to tune it yourself as well?

Pete :D

So Wendy, how about a blow by blow account of your adventures, trials, tribulations, triumphs and (hopefully no) disasters as a fledgling repairer/restorer? Do you intend to tune it yourself as well?

Pete :D

Hi Pete, so far I have replaced the valves, pads, a few springs and fixed a split in the bellows and I have a crack in the fretwork to sort out. The concertina was sold with 4 reed shoes that had become detatched, this presented me with my first problem deciding where they went on the reedpan. The second problem (reed related) was a "mooing" reed, a reed that made a metallic twanging noise, and several that were "slow to speak". I have now sorted these out, phew! The bellows are more air-tight now, but I still have some leaks to find. As to tuning, I think the pitch is A=457 Hz, and most of the reeds are relatively in tune with each other. As I will only be playing for myself this will not be an issue. There are a few reeds that I may have a go at tuning (they are slightly sharp), if when I have finished they need it (but I would prefer to leave this). All in all I am very pleased with my purchase (£75) and how relatively uncomplicated the whole process has been, (so far).

Wendy