The fallacy of "science" and academic hegemony

catty

or whenever they invent time travel so I can see which century suits best.

But perhaps that's where you're from anyway, and this is all a front just to put us all off the scent. Definite giveaway, your sig block. Product of an advanced civilisation or I'm a concertina player!

Chris

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But perhaps that's where you're from anyway, and this is all a front just to put us all off the scent. Definite giveaway, your sig block. Product of an advanced civilisation or I'm a concertina player!

Chris

So! Back to the future, eh, LDT? I bet you've got a Delorean time-travelling machine tucked away in your parent's garage somewhere. Or even a Tardis. Perhaps you can tell us whether Colin Dipper subsequently re-incarnated to produce more concertinas in the 22nd century?

Chris

Chris

So! Back to the future, eh, LDT? I bet you've got a Delorean time-travelling machine tucked away in your parent's garage somewhere. Or even a Tardis. Perhaps you can tell us whether Colin Dipper subsequently re-incarnated to produce more concertinas in the 22nd century?

Chris

I time travel with my concertina...as its a cunningly disguised TARDIS. You know if enough people play together you can warp time. :o

All I can say is..regeneration. :P ;)

I suspect, among all musical instrument forums, there are fewer Wii afficonados here...

Well, given that Nintendo is taking over the planet, I stand by my postulation... :unsure:

Well nearly there http://e3.nintendo.com/wii/wiimusic/index.html there is a Wii Music now.

Edited by LDT

there is a Wii Music now.

'Tis what I'm speaking of. Seems like the ultimate travesty to me. I can understand virtual sports activity...but, music? :( If you're going to fiddle around with something that produces musical sounds, why not simply do so on a bona fide instrument?

Alas, ever more the culture of people who are adept at perpetrating vicarious violence; virtual killings by gunshot, martial arts, or bombing with the flick of a joystick, while fewer seem able to enjoy music in a meaningful context. Something has gone seriously amiss when we prefer to manipulate virtual beings with a joystick to watch them perform "Twinkle, Twinkle.." than buttons on our concertinae.

Edited by catty

Something has gone seriously amiss when we prefer to manipulate virtual beings with a joystick to watch them perform "Twinkle, Twinkle.." than buttons on our concertinae.

Nah, it's just a bit of fun. Horses for courses.

And at £30, it's cheaper than any musical instrument, AND six people can play it at the same time!

And it's better than going out binge drinking or knifing people.

And virtual music is better than no music at all.

And it's Friday. :)

Something has gone seriously amiss when we prefer to manipulate virtual beings with a joystick to watch them perform "Twinkle, Twinkle.." than buttons on our concertinae.

Essacly - and games like this don't replace musical instruments. They're just games - for fun - that are themed around them. I have friends who are very into and very good at Guitar Hero and Rock band - and they have, had, and will have no interest in playing the guitar.

Essacly - and games like this don't replace musical instruments. They're just games - for fun - that are themed around them. I have friends who are very into and very good at Guitar Hero and Rock band - and they have, had, and will have no interest in playing the guitar.

I wouldn't/can't play a real guitar competantly...but I think I could do a good job on guitar hero.

So who's for writing in and asking for 'Concertina Hero' as the next game? :ph34r:

And it's better than going out binge drinking or knifing people.

Well, okay...I'm a bit of a purist and tend to get on curmudgeonly, self-righteous social critique rants.

...it's better than going out binge drinking or knifing people.

A matter of opinion, I'm sure.

Some folks seem to actually enjoy those activities, too.
:ph34r:

And virtual music is better than no music at all.
Well...THIS one I can't accept :blink: . I would prefer silence..

In my vocabulary, music that's only virtual
IS
silence. Eh?
:unsure:

In my vocabulary, music that's only virtual IS silence. Eh? :unsure:[/indent]

I think what we're thinking of here is computer generated tones. (Of course, Frank Zappa preferred to use computers in lieu of studio players--he said they were more reliable, and cheaper..)

True!

But what fascinates me about your statment is the last word. The plural form "concertinae". A latinisation of the lowly Anglo or bourgeois English, lifting it to a scholarly level! :)

But just a moment: the way we were taught to pronounce Latin in school, the singular would come out like "konker Tina" - which sounds more like a rather butch schoolgirl who plays boys' games.

So what about the plural "concertine"? That would make "concertina" Italian, and Italian is always right when it comes to musical terms. :) Hm, perhaps not! When concertinists hear "Italian" they automatically think of Stagis and accordion reeds :P

So what about leaving the plural as "concertinas", but pronounthing it "conthertinas"? After all, wasn't there a thread some time back about there being concertina ends found in a Spanish Armada ship dating from 1588? So perhaps it really is a Spanish word. :lol:

It wouldn't be the first time that name-juggling has been used to polish up an instrument's image. Back in the 1890s, S.S. Stewart, the American banjo-manufacturer, tried to encourage middle- and upper-class people to take up his instrument by re-spelling it "banjeau" (plural: "banjeaux", presumably pronounced "banjos"). Francophone was chic in those days.

A box by any other name would sound as sweet ...

Cheers,

John