If music be the food of love, play on...

LDT

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At present I'm working on tunes for the Christmas season... a "holiday" party at the job site with a colleague on autoharp and harmony and counterpoint lines to accompany Dominique's fiddle playing for our Christmas morning visits 'round the neighborhood. The Coventry carol is in my head just now.

P.S. She brought the pitch back down to 415 on the fiddle. The timbre is lovely. I'm getting quite the workout on those outside rows which is good for me and have been assured I'll be a better person for it...

Edited by Mark Evans

I am learning Sprig of Shilelah

That's also called The Black Joak, and is one of the tunes that Robert Harbron taught at his workshop at Witney in September. Great tune.

I've developed an unhealthy obsession with hornpipes at the moment and I can't stop playing them.

There seem to be alot of hornpipes going around right now. Have you had a go at The Flowing Tide and The Air Tune?

As for me, I've recently learned Dragonsblood (which I play with The Air Tune - don't know if it's a hornpipe or a reel) which I'm obsessed with. And King of the Pipers.

But I'm really trying to learn Kiss Her and Clap Her... which everyone tells me is not as difficult as it sounds.

P

Currently obsessed with The Romp, a great tune from William Winter's Quantock Tune Book but with a tricky ascending series of arpeggios in the B music.

Chris

PS Most of my present troubles can be trace back to "If food be the music of love, eat on ...".

Yes, it's a great tune but that B music is a bit of a bugger!

Howard

So what tune is stuck in your head? What are you listening to? What are you learning?

When making a start on sorting a stack of music going back ages the other day, I came across 'Old Molly Oxford' from a workshop given at Kilve back in (?) 1992 by one P Trimming. I can't get it out of my head and it's the tune I automatically play now when I pick up an instrument;I find the tune quite hypnotic. I was 'pom pom'ing it quite loudly today when walking the dog, and got some funny looks from other dog walkers!

Edited by John Adey

So what tune is stuck in your head? What are you listening to? What are you learning?

When making a start on sorting a stack of music going back ages the other day, I came across 'Old Molly Oxford' from a workshop given at Kilve back in (?) 1992 by one P Trimming. I can't get it out of my head and it's the tune I automatically play now when I pick up an instrument;I find the tune quite hypnotic. I was 'pom pom'ing it quite loudly today when walking the dog, and got some funny looks from other dog walkers!

Oh my God ...... my past comes back to haunt me! :o

I've just walked back from Mum's house, whistling "Swinging Safari" and wondering how it might sound on a Duet concertina. Seem to recall that it sounded quite good on Anglo, but never got it up to performance level.

Thanks for the reminder, John ........... :)

Speaking of hornpipes, I am currently still obsessed with listening to, and trying to learn, some of the wonderful tunes on the excellent CD 'The Whitchurch Hornpipe', a collection of Shropshire tunes, played by Neil Brookes on fiddle and Tony Weatherall and released by Wildgoose Records earlier this year. I bought my copy from Neil himself at Sidmouth. A tune called Mrs Cholmondeley's, is one of my favourites. Other interesting hornpipes I have learned to play this year and still practice, are the Dorsetshire Hornpipe and Styebarrow Crag, and finally, the James Hill jig, Random Notes, following the Sarah Graves version. (fast and tricky on the EC but I am getting there!)

Chris

I'm currently listening to "The Star of Sunday's Well" sung by Donal Maguire, on his CD by the same name. I got it last night after a workshop he gave.

I always have multiple songs stuck in my head, chasing each other around and driving me crazy[er].....lately it's been an odd mixture of Simon and Garfunkel, Whiskey before Breakfast, Cold Frosty morning (we've been getting a lot of them lately, brr!), and others.

Don't talk to me about having hornpipes stuck in one's head..........after three days of nonstop Red-haired Boy ringing in my scull I was thoroughly relieved when it was (finally) replaced by something else! Despite that unfortunate experience, I still love the tune, I just treat it with caution! :blink:

I'm so lazy, I'm not really working on anything for the concertina right now.....how bad is that?! I'm doing some work for my violin lessons, and picking up verses and snippets of songs here and there as always, but not putting any concentrated effort into anything in particular.......although I'm going to have to look up "My Bonnie Light Horseman", I have a few scraps of it rattling around in my noggin, and it's going to get annoying soon.

Maybe after this week I'll get my act together again.....concert and whacked out schedule, ack!

I've developed an unhealthy obsession with hornpipes at the moment and I can't stop playing them. Current list is:

Proudlock's

The Londonderry

Alistair Anderson's Fancy

The Glen Aln

The Barrington

The Navvie

The Locomotive

As for listening, Alistair Anderson's new CD 'Islands' is always in the car, as is Anglo and English International. A couple of albums by Half Man Half Biscuit provide light relief, The Oysterband allow me to do a little head banging and two relative unknowns called Spiers and Boden get me jigging around in my seat - which isn't always a good idea when your driving!

On a personal note, I'd say that hornpipes are very, very healthy :)

They can be maltreated and rushed and they can be played meditatively

and thoughtfully.

Sometimes a player can make you rediscover a tune - as happened to

me last year, at Mrs. Crotty, when Ernestine Healy played "The Boys of

Blue Hill". I am compiling all the short videos from the event into one (I had

less GBytes last year, so they are short) and will place it on YouTube soon.

/Henrik

Owing to 2-yr-old child, the character themes from The Night Garden are stuck in my head. Especially "Yes my name is Iggle Piggle", mournful dirge that it is, there is something about it that makes it an unusually contagious earworm, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earworm my wife caught it too. Fortunately it's a lot more tolerable than Teletubbies.

Right now I've got my latest song going round in my head and trying to work out a concertina accompaniment - The Deserter.

I've pretty much got The Recruited Collier sorted (which coincidentally Dick Miles posted a great rendition of a few months ago on this forum) - although it's not yet had an airing in public (next weekend possibly).

And I've always got a few Swedish polskas on the go that I'm learning.

Steve