The Fallacy of "Talent"

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know if this is a sign of talent as in inborn ability or of a 'talent' as in a gift (Biblical) but tonight after just a week I suddenly became all intuitive with my new concertina..it was bliss and from my experience of playing by ear with harmonica I know this may be fleeting however eventually it will become permanent. I feel the angels gave me a gift tonight anyway strangely I was thinking about the guy next door who lives alone and plays the plaino really welll- he is a schooled musician ..not my type but I admire his skill..somehow joined his being and was playing with all fingers and all keys. Wow it was an amazing feeling like I was on another plane. That is the feeling of talent as I experience it..it comes a little at a time and out of the blue sooner or later and in my case it has come pretty quick. It is like an invisible teacher requisitioning your fingers and now I can play the floral dance!! I think talent is more of a gift or series of gifts given in a certain state of being...almost out of body experience when you are really wishing to play. I cant say I ahve practiced much this week as I was so busy with Christmas for 5 men and 3 dogs but half an hour each evening has earned me these little bursts of 'talent' and I am so happy. I hope I explained it rationally as possible but I dont feel it is a thing you can easily describe and it may be a different experience for other people. happy new Year..I am HAPPY!

I dont know if this is a sign of talent as in inborn ability or of a 'talent' as in a gift (Biblical) but tonight after just a week I suddenly became all intuitive with my new concertina..it was bliss and from my experience of playing by ear with harmonica I know this may be fleeting however eventually it will become permanent. I feel the angels gave me a gift tonight anyway strangely I was thinking about the guy next door who lives alone and plays the plaino really welll- he is a schooled musician ..not my type but I admire his skill..somehow joined his being and was playing with all fingers and all keys. Wow it was an amazing feeling like I was on another plane. That is the feeling of talent as I experience it..it comes a little at a time and out of the blue sooner or later and in my case it has come pretty quick. It is like an invisible teacher requisitioning your fingers and now I can play the floral dance!! I think talent is more of a gift or series of gifts given in a certain state of being...almost out of body experience when you are really wishing to play. I cant say I ahve practiced much this week as I was so busy with Christmas for 5 men and 3 dogs but half an hour each evening has earned me these little bursts of 'talent' and I am so happy. I hope I explained it rationally as possible but I dont feel it is a thing you can easily describe and it may be a different experience for other people. happy new Year..I am HAPPY!

Now that is a happy new year. Maybe it is like learning to swim. Having swimming lessons for a year or so and failing to swim on your own, dreaming at night how to do it and then when you did not practise for a while, suddenly it works when you are on holiday.

Now that is a happy new year. Maybe it is like learning to swim. Having swimming lessons for a year or so and failing to swim on your own, dreaming at night how to do it and then when you did not practise for a while, suddenly it works when you are on holiday.

Actually Marien I did learn to swim just like that with my dad in the sea on holiday! (o: I can swim miles but would not say I do it properly..do it in my own way and quite quirky since I broke my vertebra (I cant kick too well) but I can swim with mostly just my arms so I think talent can be about finding your own way to do something as much as doing it the right way? I dont even know if I am playing the concertina properly but it sounds good to me? My problem is I dont know anyone else here who plays a concertina so I have no criticism (o: I suppose in the kingdom of the blind the one eyed girl is Queen!! Talent therefore must be relative ?