Outstanding Wheatstone for sale

Paul Read

I have just listed a beautiful 40-button 50s Wheatstone on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=180306853606

This one is a beauty and possibly the best 50s one I have handled. Apart for some wear around the buttons it is in great shape and is one of those rare beasts, a 50s Wheatstone with a really nice tone. The photos don't do it justice because I had to use flash. Feel free to make offers via this site, I will be out of the country Nov 21 to Dec 2 so I would like to sell before the 7 days run out. If it sells through here I can pay c.net instead of ebay. Don't ask me for the reserve, but the last one I had anywhere as nice as this went for US$4500.

Yeah, it's truly raining vintage now! I'd like to put mine for sale again but the market is a bit scary, and you're left to wonder how low (in price) you're willing to go. But I hate the idea of owning a good concertina that's not being played, such a waste.

(Ben, I havent forgot my promise of providing some video of the Dipper, it will come!)

Payment went through! I think a small donation to c.net is in order given the number of people who are guided to my stuff via c.net. Mind you, I think it may be time to stop selling for a while given the new Canadian clampdown on ebay sales.

...the new Canadian clampdown on ebay sales.

Do you mean this:

“The CRA’s [Canada Revenue Agency] investigation has been stymied by eBay Canada because it has refused to turn over information about PowerSellers. The company argued the information was stored on parent eBay Inc.’s computers in the United States and beyond the reach of the CRA. It also argued the CRA’s probe was too broad and amounted to a ‘fishing expedition’,” says the Globe and Mail.

The Federal Court of Appeal last week dismissed eBay’s arguments saying the company has easy access to the records “with the click of a mouse,” putting them within the bounds of the CRA, according to the story, which goes on:

“It also upheld the CRA’s power to conduct investigations of groups of people to ensure compliance with the Income Tax Act.

“The court ordered eBay Canada to hand over the names, contact information and gross sales figures for the PowerSellers.

I am delighted that there is any oversight at all into EBay. EBay is a monopoly, pure and simple. It is so powerful that it is not accountable to anybody. Their customer service is laughable. If any business with competitors treated its customer base as cavalierly as EBay does, it would soon be out of business.

Recently a visiting friend used my computer to log onto his own EBay account. In the past I had bid on several of his auctions. No bids were offered, no laws were broken and no rules were violated. Nevertheless, EBay suspended both of us for 14 days. After several letters I was told that I had violated EBay rules but that they could not tell me more because " the exact criteria used to take action on eBay accounts are proprietary in nature and can not be discussed due to security concerns." Obviously, computers are talking to each other - about us - behind our backs.

There are net sites that discuss how the behemoth has changed- from serving the individual small seller to protecting the giant super-sellers. You can Google "EBay sucks" and find plenty of sites dedicated to questioning EBay's business practices. But is there an alternative? It's a bit like trying to change your electric company, except that the electric company is more responsive to consumer complaints.

End of rant. On with the day.