Posture

LDT

I was wondering what's the proper posture for playing an anglo concertina....because if I play longer than an hour my back aches (not hurts just ache).

I have to keep changing how I sit when it gets uncomfortable...and stopping to stretch.

Am I just slouching too much?

Probably! If you have a firm, hard-seated chair with a high back, try sitting on that when you're playing for a long time. Shuffle your backside until it's tight into the back of the chair - that should give you the best support. You could also place a rolled-up towel in the small of your back. If you're having to squint at the keys while you play, you might be bending forward slightly, which won't help your back. Try keeping your head level and looking straight ahead - that's good practice for your fingering too! ;)

Probably! If you have a firm, hard-seated chair with a high back, try sitting on that when you're playing for a long time. Shuffle your backside until it's tight into the back of the chair - that should give you the best support. You could also place a rolled-up towel in the small of your back. If you're having to squint at the keys while you play, you might be bending forward slightly, which won't help your back. Try keeping your head level and looking straight ahead - that's good practice for your fingering too! ;)

example of my posture http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rAp-aIDDGek

I tend to alternate between feet up on stool and sitting crosslegged on my bed.

And I squint leaning over trying to read notes on my laptop a lot.

I was wondering what's the proper posture for playing an anglo concertina..

I think you are asking the body to do something for which it was not designed; slaving over a hot computer for 8 hours during the day, then additional hours over a cool concertina in the evening. It's almost the same posture, and the more you lean forward, the more your back will ache.

I'm certain that the chair suggestion is sensible, and I'm sure that one or two members will have suggestions as to what stretches, or exercises, you can do to avoid unneccessary discomfort.

Important point to remember; to enjoy playing music, you have to feel relaxed and comfortable. If you can cross your legs, whilst playing, that will immediately tilt your body backwards, into the supporting chair back.

By the way; your playing is sounding more confident.

I'd agree with the suggestions of a dining chair. Sitting on the average bed will mean you are on too low a seat and, adding to that, your backside will tend to sink into the bed and result in an acute angle between your pelvis and spine; result, a very unstable position in which to sit, especially if you have one foot off the ground with your knees crossed.

You will also not have support for you back on a bed, so all this together will result in extra work for all the muscles that work away supporting your spine; you're asking to much of your back muscles . That tension will also not be helped by feeling anxious about your progress and trying too hard. Advice: find a good supporting upright chair, relax as you play and take lots of breaks.

A good chair will be a better alternative to physiotherapy bills!

If all this fails I suggest a one off consultation with an Alexander teacher for her/his opinion.

I'd agree with the suggestions of a dining chair. Sitting on the average bed will mean you are on too low a seat and, adding to that, your backside will tend to sink into the bed and result in an acute angle between your pelvis and spine; result, a very unstable position in which to sit, especially if you have one foot off the ground with your knees crossed.

You will also not have support for you back on a bed, so all this together will result in extra work for all the muscles that work away supporting your spine; you're asking to much of your back muscles . That tension will also not be helped by feeling anxious about your progress and trying too hard. Advice: find a good supporting upright chair, relax as you play and take lots of breaks.

If all this fails I suggest a one off consultation with an Alexander teacher for her/his opinion.

Because of my height, I have to add risers to the bottoms of the legs on a conventional chair. Thankfully, I found this solution, which is quite comfortable: A 1940's doctor's stool with adjustable seat height.

Because of my height, I have to add risers to the bottoms of the legs on a conventional chair. Thankfully, I found this solution, which is quite comfortable: A 1940's doctor's stool with adjustable seat height.

Hey, what a cool contraption! I love the colour - brings back childhood memories. And those rosette upholstery nails ... and the lock-nut on the spindle ...

:)

Cheers,

John

Hey, what a cool contraption! I love the colour - brings back childhood memories. And those rosette upholstery nails ... and the lock-nut on the spindle ...

:)

Cheers,

John

They've updated them a little now. It's called a drum throne: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?cp...791&index=0

I have one for use sitting at a telescope. It's adjustable, and it's great.

Thanks

Leo :blink:

I've figured out a way I just put loads of pillows up against the wall my bed is up against..seems to do the trick.

I'm actually rather short at 5ft1...I spend a lot of time looking up at people. :blink:

They've updated them a little now. It's called a drum throne: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?cp...791&index=0

I have one for use sitting at a telescope. It's adjustable, and it's great.

Thanks

Leo :blink:

Yes, very practical, I'm sure, and probably much lighter and easier to carry - but visually, the vintage article has the class!

:rolleyes:

Cheers,

John

Apologies. I realise this is anatomically incorrect!

The angle I meant is NOT the one between spine and pelvis, but that at the hip, between pelvis and thigh - which is why the problem is rectified by sitting on a firm chair of the correct height.

I was wondering what's the proper posture for playing an anglo concertina....because if I play longer than an hour my back aches (not hurts just ache).

I have to keep changing how I sit when it gets uncomfortable...and stopping to stretch.

Concertina or no, slouching is generally not a good idea, and especially if your back suffers. But varying how you sit is a good idea. Dynamic variation not only helps prevent stiffness and tired muscles, but it lets you experience variety in posture and muscular tension. As with music, you can then repeat those configurations that you find comfortable and avoid those that you find painful.

You mentioned squinting at the computer screen. Bad. You should print out the music and place it on something -- a music stand is a good option -- that holds it upright at or only slightly below eye level.

I'm actually rather short at 5ft1...I spend a lot of time looking up at people. :blink:

Try making them look down at you. :D

It's not how tall you are, but how you handle your height. My mother, at five feet (152 cm) and 100 pounds (45½ kg) "dripping wet and overweight" would routinely carry about 100-pound sacks of chicken feed and could handle teenagers -- not just her own -- a foot taller than she was. I don't know how she would have handled a concertina, though. I don't believe she ever saw one before I started playing. :(

Concertina or no, slouching is generally not a good idea, and especially if your back suffers. But varying how you sit is a good idea. Dynamic variation not only helps prevent stiffness and tired muscles, but it lets you experience variety in posture and muscular tension. As with music, you can then repeat those configurations that you find comfortable and avoid those that you find painful.

I was thinking I could wear my corset that usually stops me slouching. (no sniggering at the back)

You mentioned squinting at the computer screen. Bad. You should print out the music and place it on something -- a music stand is a good option -- that holds it upright at or only slightly below eye level.

Would but the printer has broke. :unsure: so I've got to wait till wither we get a new one or I can borrow someone else's.

Try making them look down at you. :D

It's not how tall you are, but how you handle your height.

I handle it by buying 2inch platforms. lol!

have you tried playing suspended from a rope,from the ceiling.

a friend of mine with a bad back used to do this,but he was a bodhran player,no ,perhaps not a good idea.

bodhran joke alert. :ph34r: :blink:

here is a suggestion,try and find a wood worker who can make you a chair,that takes into account your height,and also has a firm back,not upright but almost,slanting, slightly away from you.

I have one that was made specially for me,it really makes a difference as I often practice for three hours a day.

It would have to be foldable.....as I don't have much room in my room. I have a strip about 40cm wide and 2 and a half meteres long to walk down next to my bed.

your playing is getting better every time I hear you.

Thank you. :D