Anglo for sale

nils

Yesterday when I visited germany I played all of these concertina's at the owners place.

I checked the tuning of all instruments. They are all top model concertina's.

Bad news for the ones who were interested in the wheatstone: I bought the wheaststone anglo C/G so that one is sold now :rolleyes:. The choice was easy as it was the only one with a wheatstone keyboard layout, and I do not play the Jeffries layout. The choice would have been very difficult if the Suttners would have had a wheatstone layout, I especially liked number 4 below.

So what is left is 4 Suttners? They all have a jeffries layout (note, I don't know the real jeffries layout by head'). I heard that some have some personal key layout preferences for the first 2 accidentals on the right hand side, and the fifth button on the first right hand row.

They are all in good shape, the playability is very good. Maybe a snoring valve (only on one or two keys you do not use frequently, only on one or two of the concertina´s). It is really minor maintenance to my opinion.

So these four are left (until yesterday 22 PM):

1. One Suttner concertina with flat rosewood ends. The tuning is unusual: C#/G#. The action is very good. It has been tuned up from C/G, so it may be not a good idea to have it retuned down to C/G. I think that it is the basic Suttner model.

2. One Suttner concertina in Bes-Es. It has raised metal ends, 31 key (incl drone), a jeffies layout. I think that it is the Jeffries model.

3. The same Jeffries model Suttner in C/G, raised metal ends (if I remember well it has C#C# and G#G# on the first 2 buttons of the accidental row on the right hand side).

4. The best of the 4 Suttners (I would say this is the stunning Suttner), also the 31 key jeffries model with raised metal ends, with 30 key + drone. it was the player's main instrument, newer than the others, and the action is perfect, like the rest of the whole instrument. If I remember well it has C#G# and G#C# on the first 2 buttons of the accidental row on the right hand side).

Again, all the Suttners are in good shape, and number 4 is perfect. The others would like to be played more and may need one or 2 new valves, but for the rest I did not see any maintenance to be expected.

There is no G/D concertina and no As-Es concertina. There are only C/G instruments, one C#/G# and one Bes/Es concertina.

Marien

- edited for typos -

Edited by marien

Marien, you're sure the Suttners have G#s on the first two buttons on the right accidental row, and not Ebs? If it's G#, it seems to be like a modified Jeffries layout or something.

I am 100% sure about the C# on the C/G concertina's. In my memory the other was G#, not an Eb = D# (the interval was certainly more than one note). If you are really interested in one of the boxes I suggest you could search contact via Nils and try to get sound by phone later. I am sorry I did not take a sound sample (I had a recorder with me). That idea came earlier this afternoon.

I must admit that I was more concentrated on the basic keys of the first and the second row, and for the third row I am sure that it was not the wheatstone key layout which I am used to play, I am unfamiliar with a jeffries layout.

Marien

I am 100% sure about the C# on the C/G concertina's. In my memory the other was G#, not an Eb = D# (the interval was certainly more than one note). If you are really interested in one of the boxes I suggest you could search contact via Nils and try to get sound by phone later. I am sorry I did not take a sound sample (I had a recorder with me). That idea came earlier this afternoon.

I must admit that I was more concentrated on the basic keys of the first and the second row, and for the third row I am sure that it was not the wheatstone key layout which I am used to play, I am unfamiliar with a jeffries layout.

Ah, that's ok thanks I was just curious. Since I got my Dipper I ended my search for my ultimate concertina. It's a strange feeling, being able to look at any concertina and not feeling the urge to own it :-)

When I think of it, both G# would make some sense to me compared to both Eb, since I end up playing G# a bit more than Eb. Kind of useful for A major tunes.

This is turning into a very funny thread: a chap posts a vague note re concertinas for sale. On enquiry he replies thus:

"Mario K. brother is going to sell his concertinas in the next weeks. He is looking for buyers who will play the boxes (no collectors) and pay a price that reflects the current market value. There is a 30 key C/G Wheatstone and some Suttners in C/G, Bb/F and Eb/Ab . We hope that Jürgen Suttner will check the concertinas and give a valuation. I will give your name and e-mail to Mario's brother who will contact you as soon as he has got further informations. We would ask you not to discuss this in the forum. Every member will get the same informations from us but we don't want to make this known to the public."

Bit strange, but one is inclined to respect his wishes on basis that all prospective buyers will eventually get a full list etc.

Then we learn from 'Marien' above that he has already bought one and his run down on the others. I had my doubts as to why someone would need to sell so many concertinas like this at once but I suppose they must be genuine as Marien has seen them but it's a bit of a strange way to treat prospective purchasers, which is why I have no compunction in copying the mail above. I repeat "Every member will get the same informations from us but we don't want to make this known to the public"

edited to add: I apologise for any possible offence and was certainly not aware of the family circumstances of the Kliemann's.

Edited by tombilly

This is turning into a very funny thread: a chap posts a vague note re concertinas for sale. On enquiry he replies thus:

"Mario K. brother is going to sell his concertinas in the next weeks. He is looking for buyers who will play the boxes (no collectors) and pay a price that reflects the current market value. There is a 30 key C/G Wheatstone and some Suttners in C/G, Bb/F and Eb/Ab . We hope that Jürgen Suttner will check the concertinas and give a valuation. I will give your name and e-mail to Mario's brother who will contact you as soon as he has got further informations. We would ask you not to discuss this in the forum. Every member will get the same informations from us but we don't want to make this known to the public."

Bit strange, but one is inclined to respect his wishes on basis that all prospective buyers will eventually get a full list etc.

Then we learn from 'Marien' above that he has already bought one and his run down on the others. I had my doubts as to why someone would need to sell so many concertinas like this at once but I suppose they must be genuine as Marien has seen them but it's a bit of a strange way to treat prospective purchasers, which is why I have no compunction in copying the mail above. I repeat "Every member will get the same informations from us but we don't want to make this known to the public"

I responded to Nils Meyn, the originator of this thread and received an explanatory e-mail.

The concertinas belonged to Mario Kliemann, who lived in Germany. Sadly Mario died a month ago and his brother Norbert is now selling off Mario's collection of concertinas. Nils Meyn is, I assume, acting as contact person for this forum. Marien Lina from the Netherlands is another member of this forum. Marien has visited Norbert and seen and played the concertinas and has also bought the Wheatstone. At the time of writing this, the Suttners are still available for purchase. They have Jeffries layouts.

Hope this makes things clear. There is no mystery. Just sadness of the death of a family member.

It's a strange feeling, being able to look at any concertina and not feeling the urge to own it :-)

So the urge to own a concertina you've seen is a common one amongst forum members - glad I'm not alone :P

Steve

Edited by SteveS

To help with any confusion on the photos posted by Nils, here is my take. Suttner concertinas all have a serial number hence the first number. The second number is the number of the the pic of that particular instrument. The one that Marien quotes as being recent would be serial number 291 if memory serves me. Numbers 33 and 54 being the oldest, and number 85 being at least 12 years old. On a side note, it seems that in everyone's greed to get these instruments posted, they forgot the intention to keep this private out of respect of family members wanting to find a home for these to be played. Many anglos pass from family member to family member, or occasionally to friend, neighbor etc. Regardless the prices being asked the intention was to keep things closed, including closed to our list members.

Quote: "Regardless the prices being asked the intention was to keep things closed, including closed to our list members."

When a posting or listing for the sale of an instrument is made on C.net it is made on a public forum. A private listing should be by word of mouth.

I do not wish to sound bitter...but I did send an email to the seller (email address provided by Nils) with regards to the Wheatstone C/G 30 button LINOTA (1918) and received no answer at all. The next thing I knew that it was sold. It is sad that when you follow the rules and political conventions and sensitivities...you still get....uhm...disappointed. Give everybody a fair chance or do not list or mention the availability of said instruments on C.net.

What is the contribution to C.net on a USD $8,000.00 to $10,000.00 30 button Wheatstone Linota? Help me...my math is not too good..

Edited by Ben Otto

I was afraid things would turn out like this but I hoped....

My part in this was (and is) to advertise these concertinas in the forum. I wanted to keep the information that several valuable instruments were for sale for the forum members only, so I sent every member who inquired the same email. I passed all information you gave me on to the seller.

Who is contacted and what prices are asked is out of my hands and up to the seller.

My guess is that he sold the first concertina in the safest way possible, to someone who played it and paid cash.

I will give the email of the seller to anybody who asks me for it.

Nils

I was afraid things would turn out like this but I hoped....

My part in this was (and is) to advertise these concertinas in the forum. I wanted to keep the information that several valuable instruments were for sale for the forum members only, so I sent every member who inquired the same email. I passed all information you gave me on to the seller.

Who is contacted and what prices are asked is out of my hands and up to the seller.

My guess is that he sold the first concertina in the safest way possible, to someone who played it and paid cash.

I will give the email of the seller to anybody who asks me for it.

Nils

The problem is using the forum exclusively for purpose of personal gain.

That's why this add was so striking. Perhaps somewhere in Old Europe things are done this way.

Think, people have built a Forum, that is of interest to you. You intend to use it once only and be gone for good. Thanks.

Thanks for nothing.

In the future you may research your dictionary for the word "Contribution".

And what would be better contribution to this Forum but nice pictures of top of the range instruments, with sound files?

Clear case of strangers wondering in and disappearing into the woods. And you knew it will turn this way, didn't you?

Oh, by the way, I am selling my concertina. I will not disclose it's make, price, no pic nor sound bit. Whoever is interested, send me PM. I intend to sell it the safest way possible, and obviously, this forum is infested with thieves and can-artists, but it's a good way to get exposure for free.

Boy, am I smart?

I'm sad and angry. I'm sad, because my good friend Mario died far to soon. We started the German Concertina Meeting some 18 years together and he kept the German scene going all those years. He brought teachers over including Noel Hill and Tim Collins. 15 years ago I sold my beloved Wheatstone Linota for very little money to him, because he was urgently looking for a good Anglo -under the condition that he wouldn't sell it to anybody else....

His brother, who now is selling Marios instruments, knew the history and promised to offer the box to me before selling it to someone else... Fair play to him!

I had the box for 15 years before I sold it - I played it for the Lothian Morris-man, in Milltown and on stage at the Cologne opera-house... now it`s gone for good! And now you know, why I'm angry!

I had the box for 15 years before I sold it - I played it for the Lothian Morris-man, in Milltown and on stage at the Cologne opera-house... now it`s gone for good! And now you know, why I'm angry!

Ouch, if what you're saying is true, I can understand why you feel cheated. I'd feel that way too. This is when you wish you had had some contract signed just in case, but we never expect to need such thing do we.

Well, that puts a very different perspective on it and I apologise if I caused any offence in my post above.

However, it would have been helpful if there was more clarity as to the situation in the original post.

If what Conzertino says above is true, that would be awful given the circumstances. I'm certainly not the moral police of Cnet but if I were Marien, I'd think I'd be reconsidering my purchase..

Edited by tombilly