Help needed: wheezing reed

On a 30 b Lach anglo with Dipper mechanism: one reed has become very wheezy on the draw.

It sounded like the usual fluff caught in reed; I cleaned it out, it seemed to help, but it quickly returned to what sounds a lot like asthma.

If it hasn't been played for a while, the note sounds properly the first few times I play it, then gradually gets wheezier and wheezier.

I repeatedly cleaned it out with a sheet of paper, checked the seating of the reed, with no results.

I should add that the problem began after a day of playing Morris in less than ideal conditions (drizzle). The instrument never got wet, but it was played in very wet conditions. I don't know if that could be related.

Any suggestions for what else I should be looking for?

Edited by Jim Besser

I'd still suspect a loose reed shoe, but if you have checked thoroughly and are sure it isn't a reed problem, might be worth checking whether the leather on the underside of the pad is becoming partly (or totally) unglued from the felt....

Not a common problem, but I had one like this in the workshop last week.

However, if the pads are fairly newish Dippers, it is unlikely.

Good luck in solving the problem.

MC

Hi Jim,

Malcolm's suggestion is well worth investigating especially since your problem is a draw reed. I have actually seen your symptom on draw reeds due to such pad delamination a few times. The thin leather layer of the pad can sputter as air flow pulls it away from the pad, toward the hole in the soundboard. But there are also other possible causes too, many that you could repair yourself.

If the problem persists email me and I may be able to help over the phone -- sounds like the instrument you got from me (a few years and, I bet, many hours of playing ago).

groff (at) bio (dot) miami (dot) edu

Hi Jim,

Malcolm's suggestion is well worth investigating especially since your problem is a draw reed. I have actually seen your symptom on draw reeds due to such pad delamination a few times. The thin leather layer of the pad can sputter as air flow pulls it away from the pad, toward the hole in the soundboard. But there are also other possible causes too, many that you could repair yourself.

If the problem persists email me and I may be able to help over the phone -- sounds like the instrument you got from me (a few years and, I bet, many hours of playing ago).

Yep, that's the one. It just gets better with the years, despite the little annoyances that go with any vintage instrument. One of the few purchases in my life I've been completely happy with.

I'll open it up when I get a chance (when work allows) and take a look.

It's strange because it SEEMED like cleaning out the reed worked; after that, I put in a full day of playing Morris with no problems at all. The next day -- back to the wheeze. A quick clean out at the dance site had no impact.

Thanks for all the replies.

It's strange because it SEEMED like cleaning out the reed worked; after that, I put in a full day of playing Morris with no problems at all. The next day -- back to the wheeze. A quick clean out at the dance site had no impact.

Hi Jim,

What's the weather been doing in recent days? Just a guess that it might be temperature/humidity related.

To eliminate any valve/pad-related issues, do you have two reeds which you can swap around within the instrument?

Regards,

Peter.

Hi Jim,

What's the weather been doing in recent days? Just a guess that it might be temperature/humidity related.

To eliminate any valve/pad-related issues, do you have two reeds which you can swap around within the instrument?

The problem began right after a day spent playing for morris dancers crazy enough to dance in a drizzle. So the humidity was very high, even if the instrument didn't get rained on. Since then, it's been dry!