The Nature of the Beast

I read with great interest Bill N's 'Gurgling Reeds' earlier posting and subsequent discussion. I believe I have a similar problem, but his situation was a bit different.

The beast in question is an 81-button Wheatstone Maccann duet from about 1910, the monster truck of concertinas. It's in pretty fair shape (all notes play) but could probably use a good tuning. About a month ago, a left side Bb (233 hz) went suddenly quite flat (at least 30 cents) on the push and the sound was quite fuzzy. Increasing the bellows pressure raised the note by about 8 cents. The Bb on the draw remained clear. I ruled out a reed problems since switching the Bb reeds for each other resulted in no change in the symptoms (the previously flat fuzzy reed became reasonably in tune and clear and vice versa). I think I finally solved the problem by messing with the valve. The beast was working well up until about a week ago when the same note on the left side plus a right side C (525 hz) suffered the same symptoms as described above on the same day. Can changing weather cause problems? I'm in the Pacific Northwest and I haven't had any problems in several seasons of trying to learn to play the thing.

In Bill's situation described in an earlier post, proper notes were sounding but with a 'gurgling' noise after having valve replacements. In my situation, I have flattened notes with the valves working properly until recently, and increased bellows pressure increases pitch considerably in the notes in question.

Assuming it's a valve problem, is there anything I can do to the valve to fix the problem short of replacing the valve? By the way, I don't like to open up the beast until I have to, so I think I'll wait to hear what y'all have to say. I do recall, though, that inner (bellows-facing) side of the reed pan has all clean and white valves that appears to have been recently replaced. The outer side has a few nice looking valves, but most look ratty.

Historically speaking, Mr. Dipper has done some repairs in 1990 (there's a sticker and his autograph), Barleycorn has had a hand in it and there is also a stamp from H. Crab & Son. There are also several handwritten names inside.

Looking forward to hearing from y'all.

I read with great interest Bill N's 'Gurgling Reeds' earlier posting and subsequent discussion. I believe I have a similar problem, but his situation was a bit different.

The beast in question is an 81-button Wheatstone Maccann duet from about 1910, the monster truck of concertinas. It's in pretty fair shape (all notes play) but could probably use a good tuning. About a month ago, a left side Bb (233 hz) went suddenly quite flat (at least 30 cents) on the push and the sound was quite fuzzy. Increasing the bellows pressure raised the note by about 8 cents. The Bb on the draw remained clear. I ruled out a reed problems since switching the Bb reeds for each other resulted in no change in the symptoms (the previously flat fuzzy reed became reasonably in tune and clear and vice versa). I think I finally solved the problem by messing with the valve. The beast was working well up until about a week ago when the same note on the left side plus a right side C (525 hz) suffered the same symptoms as described above on the same day. Can changing weather cause problems? I'm in the Pacific Northwest and I haven't had any problems in several seasons of trying to learn to play the thing.

In Bill's situation described in an earlier post, proper notes were sounding but with a 'gurgling' noise after having valve replacements. In my situation, I have flattened notes with the valves working properly until recently, and increased bellows pressure increases pitch considerably in the notes in question.

Assuming it's a valve problem, is there anything I can do to the valve to fix the problem short of replacing the valve? By the way, I don't like to open up the beast until I have to, so I think I'll wait to hear what y'all have to say. I do recall, though, that inner (bellows-facing) side of the reed pan has all clean and white valves that appears to have been recently replaced. The outer side has a few nice looking valves, but most look ratty.

Historically speaking, Mr. Dipper has done some repairs in 1990 (there's a sticker and his autograph), Barleycorn has had a hand in it and there is also a stamp from H. Crab & Son. There are also several handwritten names inside.

Looking forward to hearing from y'all.

I don't think you really repair valves, just rip them off and replace them. It's very easy and quick; I've learnt to do it at the slightest prompting. Get yourself a bag of spares ready.

Valves that are snagging ,say on the chamber wall, and not opening fully can produce flat notes; I discovered this when I put some spring assisters on my bass valves. I had to lift some of them higher to restore the tuning. (still worth doing)

I don't think you really repair valves, just rip them off and replace them. It's very easy and quick; I've learnt to do it at the slightest prompting. Get yourself a bag of spares ready.

Valves that are snagging ,say on the chamber wall, and not opening fully can produce flat notes; I discovered this when I put some spring assisters on my bass valves. I had to lift some of them higher to restore the tuning. (still worth doing)

Thanks, Dirge, for the reply.

I've got to delay fixing the thing since I've got a couple friends having major and minor medical problems. Just like concertinas, I guess. With advancing age, you just gotta fix things. When I get some time (and after I fix the beast), I'll try to remember to let you know how it turns out.