Inherited a concertina. No idea what to do with it!

roo

Hello chaps. Sorry if this is poor form but I have no idea where else to ask. I tried to do a bit of research on my own but am just getting nowhere...

After my dad died we found this old concertina/accordion (see, I don't even know which it is!!). All I know about it is what mum could remember; that it belonged to his older brother who died at a fairly young age. My dad was born in 1928.

It's in spanking condition and was probably not taken out of the box for decades! I was just wondering if anyone could help me out with a bit of the history? It has "Tyne Docks" scratched into the bottom of the box.

DSC00287.jpg

DSC00285.jpg

DSC00283.jpg

I have more piccies if anyone is interested.

Thanks again, and apologies if this post breaks your forum etiquette.

Roo x

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Roo,

You have a 48 button English system concertina, probably made by Lachenal of London ( it looks like the action is Lachenal, but its difficult to see) and around 100 years old, give or take 20.

Harry Boyd was the main dealer in concertinas in Newcastle.

That should be enough to get you started, so have a poke around the forums for lots more info, or ask some more questions and we'll try to answer.

Hi Roo,

You have a 48 button English system concertina, probably made by Lachenal of London ( it looks like the action is Lachenal, but its difficult to see) and around 100 years old, give or take 20.

Harry Boyd was the main dealer in concertinas in Newcastle.

That should be enough to get you started, so have a poke around the forums for lots more info, or ask some more questions and we'll try to answer.

Wow - that was quick! Thank you.

It's such a beautiful thing but I have all the musical ability of a dead halibut! I have no idea whether to keep it as a pretty object or sell it on to someone who will love it - and more importantly - play it. Unfortunately, because it was dad's, I think I'd find it hard to let it go :(

Hello roo, I'd agree that it's a Lachenal and a nice model too. If you're still in the Tyneside area you could take it along to Theo Gibb at The Box Place in Gateshead to have it checked out. Theo is a member of this forum and is a well known repairer of concertinas. He can probably point you in the direction of other players should you wish to take up the instrument.

Congratulations on your find and I wish you luck with your playing.

Pete.

Hello roo, I'd agree that it's a Lachenal and a nice model too. If you're still in the Tyneside area you could take it along to Theo Gibb at The Box Place in Gateshead to have it checked out. Theo is a member of this forum and is a well known repairer of concertinas. He can probably point you in the direction of other players should you wish to take up the instrument.

Congratulations on your find and I wish you luck with your playing.

Pete.

Thanks Pete.

No - my dad was originally from Newcastle, I'm in London and the concertina is currently in my mum's house in Liverpool!!

I was given a guitar at school and the music teacher took it away from me after a month. I was also banned from compulsory choir practice and made to do extra Latin instead. Music and I are as strangers - much to my dismay :P No. I shall not be learning - which is what makes it sadder for me as I would love to have an aptitude for it.

Well don't do anything hasty, it really does look to be in fairly good condition and is probably quite valuable as such things go. Are there other family members with a musical inclination who might like to learn to play it?

Whatever you decide to do with it make sure you get advice from a known and reputable restorer or dealer in concertinas.

Yes it is a Lachenal "New Model" which was their top model when introduced in the late 1880s and continued in production till the firm went out of business in the 1930s. It could be one of Boyds specially commissioned models which often have "H Boyd" worked into the fretwork on right side. The picture you have posted is the left side.

Yes it is a Lachenal "New Model" which was their top model when introduced in the late 1880s and continued in production till the firm went out of business in the 1930s. It could be one of Boyds specially commissioned models which often have "H Boyd" worked into the fretwork on right side. The picture you have posted is the left side.

Yeah - I've only got pictures of that side but I do remember that the other side did have the name worked into it. Unfortunately I won't be able to get any more photos till I visit ma at xmas. I've just found this picture of the body though:

DSC00288.jpg

When I took these pics I remember thinking it looked almost new! I've also just asked my mum if she can get me the serial number.

At this point someone usually suggests that you should hoard it for future generations; you're obviously half tempted that way.

All I can tell you is that when I kick the bucket the idea that my beloved instruments are left to fester for donkey's years in their boxes in the vague hope that some distant member of the family will develop some interest at some unspecified time in the future appalls me. I'd want them sold to players so they could be used as they should be.

Concertinas are like a lot of things; they're a bit pointless unless they are used for the job they were made for.

If you tried to learn that would be a different matter altogether; it wouldn't stop you selling it later and it has very little in common with guitars; no trouble generating the notes, you don't need to worry about chords at first, and it's more 'tune-based'. There are some well-spoken-of beginners lessons on Youtube. It doesn't mean you have to play folk either, if that's not something that interests you.

There is a CD out called English International. It would be a good taster for the various things people manage to do with an instrument like yours. You could buy that and see if it sparks some enthusiasm, because I'll bet that's all you really need, whatever a random cat-gut and cigar-box player thought a few years ago!

To reiterate what Samantha and Dirge have already said, I would suggest not necessarily rejecting the idea of learning the instrument out of hand! Whilst people with a long-time musical background will obviously find learning and instrument easier than someone without previous (positive) musical experience, nothing is impossible. And with such a nice instrument to start on, you'd have a good head start on the average beginner! :)

Roo

I feel I must add that I'm with the have a go at trying to learn to play team. It is a great instrument and would be worth a few weeks trying to see if you get on with it. Either way I wish you luck and if you do sell you get a fair price for it.

Blimey - thanks everyone. You really are champions for the cause!

I'm going to talk it over with my mum as - if we did sell it - the proceeds, which I now believe would be fairly decent, would redecorate her house!

But you are right, maybe I should keep it and give it a go? I'd be very sad to lose it...

I need to have a think.

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to respond. It's much appreciated xx

Hi Roo

Blimey - thanks everyone. You really are champions for the cause!

More than you know! :rolleyes:

But you are right, maybe I should keep it and give it a go? I'd be very sad to lose it...

I need to have a think.

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to respond. It's much appreciated xx

This from last year might spark an interest to learn: http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php...ost&p=61361

Thanks

Leo :D

Roo,

One thing you will never hear me say, or see me write, is "any idiot can play the guitar."

Because I can't. Even with formal lessons and teachers and a chance to learn from scratch for a free college credit.

But I can play concertina well enough for my own enjoyment and to sit in on a local session as my schedule permits.

Just try :) that's all we're asking!

It sounds to me as if you had some discouraging musical experiences when you were younger, which have left you feeling that you could never be a musician. So many people are put off music by thoughtless comments at an early stage.

Thrown out of the choir? Most people can sing, if they're taught properly. Perhaps you were never taught, or were taught badly. But being unable to sing doesn't mean you can't play an instrument.

Your guitar teacher never gave you a chance. It took me 3 years to learn to play basic chords on a guitar (but I had the proverbial fool for a teacher - myself). Again, playing concertina is quite different. Just because one instrument didn't suit you doesn't mean you won't take to another.

Even a total beginner can get a good sound from a concertina. The English concertina has a logical keyboard which can easily be related to written music, if you were to learn to read the "dots" (but many good players can not, so don't worry about that).

The instrument clearly has sentimental value to you, but I agree with the others that it should be played, not left on a shelf. Give it a go! You will find plenty of other players around London who will be more than willing to give advice, and maybe lessons. This forum, as you've already found, is a valuable source of help. If you really can't get on with it, then by all means sell it and enjoy the proceeds. But I think you'd regret it if you were to dispose of it too soon, without first giving it a try.

I was given a guitar at school and the music teacher took it away from me after a month. I was also banned from compulsory choir practice and made to do extra Latin instead. Music and I are as strangers - much to my dismay :P No. I shall not be learning - which is what makes it sadder for me as I would love to have an aptitude for it.

I'm rubbish at music...find it difficult to read the 'dots' and was told at school not to continue playing the recorder for a second term coz I was that bad. I've tried and failed the guitar. People run from the room sreaming when I attempt to sing. I've never really been able to get a whole song out of a instrument till now.

If I can get a tune out of a concertina anyone can.

It is indeed a Lachenal concertina. Boyd only commisioned top quality, so you have a very good Lachenal in your hands. It seems to me that the ends are flat, and I always thought that the new model has rounded ends (I have a Lachenal/Boyd new model concertina myself). So I am not sure if this is a new model. But surely this is a great concertina.

Edited by chiton1