An Edeophone Request

Andie

Hi all,

I have a request that I hope someone out there may be able to help me with. Is there anyone with a dilapidated 1920-30s era Lachenal Edeophone 56 Key Tenor/Treble English Concertina that they would be prepared to either give me or sell me for research purposes. It is to be used for comparative purposes only so it does not need to be playable nor fully functional. Action boxes and reed pans preferably with reads would be a benefit, so too would intact fretwork if wooden ended. Finally it would not even need to have an intact bellows but the bellows ends would also be of interest.

Any help on this one would be greatfully appreciated. Please PM me if you think you can help - Thanks! ;)

Cheers!

Andie

Edited by Andie

Hi all,

I have a request that I hope someone out there may be able to help me with. Is there anyone with a dilapidated 1920-30s era Lachenal Edeophone 56 Key Tenor/Treble English Concertina that they would be prepared to either give me or sell me for research purposes. It is to be used for comparative purposes only so it does not need to be playable nor fully functional. Action boxes and reed pans preferably with reads would be a benefit, so too would intact fretwork if wooden ended. Finally it would not even need to have an intact bellows but the bellows ends would also be of interest.

Any help on this one would be greatfully appreciated. Please PM me if you think you can help - Thanks! ;)

Cheers!

Andie

Andie,

I don't wish to worry you, but I would imagine that if anyone here had the above, they would probably just be waiting for enough cash to restore it to its former glory, or waiting to swop or part exchange it with someone who was prepared & able to restore it.

Knowing, by reputation, the expertise of the many expert restorers who are members here, I'd say there is probably no degree of dilapidation that they couldn't work with, to bring one of these instruments back to life.

So I'd be very surprised if anyone here was willing to give away something like this ..... for "research purposes".

If you were looking for a dilapidated old 20 button Mahogany ended Lachenal, you might be in with a shout, but an Edeophone TT ...... I hae ma doots!

Still, I suppose there's no harm in asking. ;)

Cheers

Dick

Hi all,

Cheers!

Andie

Andie,

I don't wish to worry you, but I would imagine that if anyone here had the above, they would probably just be waiting for enough cash to restore it to its former glory, or waiting to swop or part exchange it with someone who was prepared & able to restore it.

Knowing, by reputation, the expertise of the many expert restorers who are members here, I'd say there is probably no degree of dilapidation that they couldn't work with, to bring one of these instruments back to life.

So I'd be very surprised if anyone here was willing to give away something like this ..... for "research purposes".

If you were looking for a dilapidated old 20 button Mahogany ended Lachenal, you might be in with a shout, but an Edeophone TT ...... I hae ma doots!

Cheers

Dick

I am doing research on the U.S. economy. If anyone would like to give me some old, dilapidated currency for "research purposes," I'd be much obliged ;) Mike

Hi all,

Cheers!

Andie

Andie,

Cheers

Dick

I know what you are both saying Robin and Dick and I thank you for your input. Let me just say that I am interested in an Edeophone TT in the condition I described above from a purely technical perspective. My aim is not to obtain one on the cheap or any such thing (Chris Algar can attest to to this as I am am in the market for anything but a 'dilapidated' example when it comes to playing). I have no desire to restore an instrument in the condition described either.

The research I am undertaking and the study I would like to conduct is a 'qualitative' comparative study of the Wheatstone Aeloa TT and the Edeophone TT acoustics using modern day computing simulation. To do this I need an example of and Edeophone for a dimensional analysis (i.e. I need to be able to take all the vital dimension of the instrument). My expertise is in engineering and predominantly analytical mechanical design. I have a long held interest in musical instrument design and have wanted to do a comparative study of the aforementioned concertinas for some time.

Now, having said that, I have been waiting for an Edeophone 56 Key TT in 'Top' condition to come onto the market for some time (hence the reference to Chris) and am willing to pay the market price for such an instrument and to wait (BTW - I am a player not a collector). This would have been one way to have found a playable instrument, and to have a reference for dimensional analysis for my study but I can see this is going to take some time to come to fruition. The other way to acquire such a reference is to do what I have done on the forum recently, and that is simply to ask if there is one available that someone is prepare to part with, either from a minimal charge or for free.

Robin, I know where you are coming from regarding prices and if I could find a Edeophone in 'top' condition (by look and function) it would kill two birds with one stone.

To be able to do the acoustics analysis at both component and then 'system' levels, I would need all dimensional data on the model. I also need to be able weigh the parts to determine 'actual' densities of materials and then like. This is why I need a physical specimen. Some of this information can be lifted from my Treble Edeophone for example but I need to be comparing eggs with eggs and not apples, so the dimensional data is vital (i.e. mass of metal contained in reed on a TT and the distribution of that mass around the read pan. Mass of the reed pan and distribution of mass around it, Etcetera).

Well, I hope this gives a better insight into what it is I am trying to undertake. It is quite a task but the information that I glean from this study will be well worth the effort. I'm keen to find out what really makes these instruments tick and to allay much of the subjectivity that surround their acoustics.

If anyone is interested in helping me with this, please PM here. Thanks! Andie ;)

Constructive criticisms is also welcome!

I'm studying Jeffries concertinas. I'll need at least 4 for a good comparison.............

Thanks for the input Paul .... The beauty of simulation and analysis is a thing called Optimisation. Based on certain criterion I can modify the 'base' geometry and run a series of analyses to optimise the outcome. Therefore I have no need for more than one example of the concertina.

I'm studying Jeffries concertinas. I'll need at least 4 for a good comparison.............

Thanks for the input Paul .... The beauty of simulation and analysis is a thing called Optimisation. Based on certain criterion I can modify the 'base' geometry and run a series of analyses to optimise the outcome. Therefore I have no need for more than one example of the concertina.

It seems like what you need to do is borrow one for the time need to do your measurments

It seems like what you need to do is borrow one for the time need to do your measurments

Hi Michael,

Beg! Borrow! Steal! ...................... Only joking about the 'steal' bit - Hehe! But yes borrowing one would be an option but this is something that I have difficulty asking because I know how loaning something to someone can turn out. Having said that, it is an option if there were someone near me in the 'Land of Oz' that had one to measure. It would be better if I was able to go to their place and measure and weigh components. Then I would not have the borrowing issue at all (Idea!)

Thanks for the input Michael. Much appreciated! ;)

Hi

is it possible to work in conjunction with one of the 'repairers' on this site in order to get the data that you require? i.e. ask when they have one 'in pieces' to take your measurements for you

chris

Well good luck with your research,Andie..............it sounds very interesteing and I hope you let us know, on this forum, how your research turns out.

Regards Robin

Thanks for the encouragement Robin. This is not my first attempt at data acquisition for this research. I hope that I can find some like minded people out there that are willing to pitch in and help for the benefit of all. ;)

Hi

is it possible to work in conjunction with one of the 'repairers' on this site in order to get the data that you require? i.e. ask when they have one 'in pieces' to take your measurements for you

chris

Hi Chris,

This is definitely an option and something I will be looking into. The measurements I wish to take are extensive and will take time to acquire. They need to taken accurately and consistently and therefore it would be far better if I were undertake it myself. There is something about acquiring the data oneself that gives confidence in the results later. Unless of course one starts with having taken incorrect data from the outset.

Thanks for the input Chris!