Concertinas in the Cinema

Ishtar

Hi Ishtar

I think the list would be shorter to find all the concertinas that were actually played rather than used as a prop:

Oliver Twist (1985) Peter Honri

Lily of Killarney (1934) Percy Honri (aka The Bride of the Lake)

The Wicker Man (1973) Michael Cole

Moby Dick I think Alf Edwards (1998 TV)

These 4 come to mind, and I know there are others. I just don't remember the names.

Thanks

Leo :)

WRONG PICTURE!!!! :lol:

You're right. It's a weird blue accordion. I saw it in another pic and could have sworn it was a conker. From that angle it's sure not sure.

Ahem.

I'll get my coat.

It's just a child's button accordion, Russian made. Tons of them were on ebay. I got one and used for learning to wax reeds.

Banks are plastic, leaking etc., but the core is very well made. With care to quality, those could be stupendous little instruments, as the design is good. Single reed, btw.

One of the Clint Eastwood westerns has a lady schoolteacher playing on a few occassions a 20-button anglo. Though I believe she is not really playing it. One of these days I'll recall which movie it is.

We should start a fixed page of "Concertinas in the Cinema". The list of scenes which are "faked" will be far longer than the list of "real", much longer.

One of the Clint Eastwood westerns has a lady schoolteacher playing on a few occassions a 20-button anglo. Though I believe she is not really playing it. One of these days I'll recall which movie it is.

We should start a fixed page of "Concertinas in the Cinema". The list of scenes which are "faked" will be far longer than the list of "real", much longer.

Hi Torres Strait Anglo

Would that one be "Paint Your Wagon"? The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band had a few song in it. I think it's accordion music. :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Thanks

Leo

I have an archived thread from the old BBS (yes, I know Chris, no need to iterate your request for access to the old files, we remember about that) with easily 50 movies listed on it. Of course, if I keep neglecting to repost it, it will get recreated in these various threads (one about every year or two) anyway.

Ken