Concertinas in the Cinema

Ishtar

Time to revive this thread after a couple of years:

I just saw the latest sci-fi blockbuster, Ridley Scott's Prometheus, billed as a prequel of sorts to the Alien franchise. I went in with low expectations after reading the reviews, but was generally entertained.

Anyway, what makes it pertinent here is a scene in which the character played by Idris Elba (better known as 'Stringer Bell' from The Wire) is briefly seen holding (and unconvincingly squeezing) a concertina! It looked like an Edeophone. When asked about it, he claims, rather implausibly, that it once belonged to Stephen Stills.

I'd like to add that the instrument plays a critical role in the resolution of the plot, but alas, it makes no further appearance. Still, this must be the most high-profile Hollywood deployment of a concertina in a while.

I have not seen the film yet, but i do know that Chris Algar sold a concertina to the film company for this purpose. I do not know if they acquired more than one, The one I know about once belonged to the late Glad Thorp, and later, the late David Lee. It was a 43-button Wheatstone piccolo concertina, made by Steve Dickinson probably in the early 1990's.. The serial number was 60106.

Did it look like the one attached here?

regards

John Wild

post-160-0-99381900-1339093476_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Time to revive this thread after a couple of years:

I just saw the latest sci-fi blockbuster, Ridley Scott's Prometheus, billed as a prequel of sorts to the Alien franchise. I went in with low expectations after reading the reviews, but was generally entertained.

Anyway, what makes it pertinent here is a scene in which the character played by Idris Elba (better known as 'Stringer Bell' from The Wire) is briefly seen holding (and unconvincingly squeezing) a concertina! It looked like an Edeophone. When asked about it, he claims, rather implausibly, that it once belonged to Stephen Stills.

I'd like to add that the instrument plays a critical role in the resolution of the plot, but alas, it makes no further appearance. Still, this must be the most high-profile Hollywood deployment of a concertina in a while.

I have not seen the film yet, but i do know that Chris Algar sold a concertina to the film company for this purpose. I do not know if they acquired more than one, The one I know about once belonged to the late Glad Thorp, and later, the late David Lee. It was a 43-button Wheatstone piccolo concertina, made by Steve Dickinson probably in the early 1990's.. The serial number was 60106.

Did it look like the one attached here?

regards

John Wild

Nope, it looked like a twelve-sided, metal buttons one.

-Patrick

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In "Anna Karenina" (released last year, with Keira Knightly), there's a brief pass across the stage during the opening sequence by an actor carrying an anglo concertina. If memory serves me right, there was no sound audible on the soundtrack because there was way too much noise from all the other activity going on.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Reviving an old thread. Just saw "The Triplets of Belleville," that wacky 2003 "French" animated film in a special outdoor presentation at the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art (MASS MoCA) with live music and sound effects by an 8-piece band led by the composer of the film's soundtrack. A fun experience.

In the film, in the main room of the apartment that the triplets share there are many musical instruments on the walls. One is a concertina.

Belleville.jpg?rlkey=8u4mhmy4nnmrc92xuea

Edited by David Barnert
  • Like 1

• 6 years later...

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.... In the final episode of the recent Disney+ TV series, Star Wars: Andor, there is a marching band scene on the planet Ferrix, featuring what looks like an Anglo concertina with some spiky bits.

andor1.jpg

andor2.jpg

andor3.jpg

andor4.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I’ll add to this zombie thread since it has been revived. I played EC on an episode of “Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman” in 1996 or so. I played on the soundtrack, rather, and coached one of the regular actors. I thought he did a pretty good job of not looking like a complete buffoon. I got the job because I knew a couple of the other old time musicians who were in the band for a barn dance. I did get to play guitar on screen, at least.

I was kind of expecting a spinoff about the wacky misadventures of a frontier concertinist but it was not to be. You know how Hollywood is.

• Like 2