Picture this

LDT

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My first concertina....and only one at the moment so it has to be my favorite.

balance.jpg

....well I wanted to make it look more interesting.

I thought, perhaps, you had read another thread, and you wanted us to play "Guess the Film" :unsure: .

So here is the challenge to post a picture of your concertina. :)

And why you like it.

Well this is what mine looks like between the fingers.

Lachenal Anglo Ca. 1914'ish.

Why do I like it? Ah, come on. Who wouldn't ? ;)

post-1882-1225997002_thumb.jpg

Hey Fidjit, I love this photo! So active, the music is popping right out of it.

[OT]

So you like the Matachin album, then?

[/OT]

Yep. Big Bellowhead fan. I won the signed 'Matachin' album. :)

Like 'Burlesque' I wasn't sure about some of the songs on the cd but once I saw them live it all made sense.

[OT]

So you like the Matachin album, then?

[/OT]

Yep. Big Bellowhead fan. I won the signed 'Matachin' album. :)

Like 'Burlesque' I wasn't sure about some of the songs on the cd but once I saw them live it all made sense.

Cool. I loved Burlesque but so far I'm not so sure about Matachin... Bits of it are good, but bits of it just seem to descend into jazz to me. Not that I have anything against jazz, just not what I wanted to listen to. But then I haven't seen it live yet (other than a few preview in gigs over the last year or so) so maybe it will, as you say, all make sense when I do.

And why you like it.

And why you like it.

I apologise for using one of the pics from the Ebay presentation of my concertina - I've only had it for 2 months, and haven't had time to take my own photos of it. It's a new system for me, and I've had a lot of learning to do. As you can see by the backdrop, I got it from Chris Algar ;)

It's a Lachenal Crane/Triumph 48-b duet with metal buttons, steel reeds and ebonised hardwood ends, which Chris dates around 1920. This is my first vintage concertina, and also my first non-Anglo (after a Klingenthaler 20-b and a Stagi 30-B).

What makes it special for me is that it is precisely the model that got me hooked for life on the concertina sound!

That was when I was a small boy, back around 1950, when my mother took me to the Salvation Army on Sunday mornings. The Captain's little black box with the shiny buttons and the silvery sound stuck in my memory, and I knew I would want a concertina some time. When I got one, it was a cheap German Anglo, so my concertina playing has been diatonic since then.

But now the wheel has come full circle, and I'm back where I wanted to start out. My duet even has "The Triumph - The Salvation Army" embossed on the straps, and inside, on the back of the action board, there's a tuner's or repairer's pencilled note dated 1947, and with the initials "S.A." - presumably indicating the same organisation.

Learning the Crane system is proving not too difficult - but if I'd got one back in the mid-1960s, when I got that cheap Anglo, I reckon I'd be making much more sophisticated music than I have hitherto with the Anglo. I can already pick out tunes and harmonise them in more different keys on the Crane than on my familiar Anglo ;)

Now I just have to work up a bit of speed, and "get the fingering into the marrow of my bones," as my fiddler puts it.

Cheers,

John

post-6581-1226495558_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

And why you like it.

Do we get to round 2?

Here is a concertina which dates from January 1989; part of the detail on a smock, made for me as a commission, by Becky Palmer (some may remember her from the early days of the band "Token Women"). :)

post-1710-1232368238_thumb.jpg

Here's an image I've posted recently, of my beloved Jeffries G/D (restored by the Dippers) in its new case. I like it even more (oh, heresy) than my Dipper baritone, though it's a close run thing. As to why I like it so much, well they just don't get better than this, I think.

post-75-1232377713_thumb.jpg

Chris

PS I've uploaded this twice now, since I can't work out how to re-use a previously uploaded upload (I think that's right).

I just started playing, so I don't have a concertina as cool as any of you guys yet!

but here's a pic of my Hohner 20 key from our show last Thursday!

l_19756cf671d2409e8e2aaef0c8ce8621.jpg

Blimey.

Not the usual 'Jeffries on a coffee table' portrait', exactly

Excellent pic, Timb., and very rock'n roll!

I just started playing, so I don't have a concertina as cool as any of you guys yet!

but here's a pic of my Hohner 20 key from our show last Thursday!

Hi Timbecile

It looks like it could win the "Concertina Face" thread. I'd be interested in hearing/seeing the music you guys play.

Leo

Edited by Leo

Thanks!...we try to look cool on stage ;)...most people call the kind of music we play "Celtic Punk",...but I think we sound like a mixture of The Pogues and AC/DC

not the best sound, but here's a link to a song from our show at the Knitting Factory in Hollywood last night...

Thanks!...we try to look cool on stage ;)...most people call the kind of music we play "Celtic Punk",...but I think we sound like a mixture of The Pogues and AC/DC

not the best sound, but here's a link to a song from our show at the Knitting Factory in Hollywood last night...

Hi Timbecile

That was pretty good. I think it's the best of the three posted there. Good luck with your band.

Leo

I like it. :) Do you have a myspace?

Edited by LDT