Picture this

LDT

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have to believe that my concertina is just the best, because it's probably the only one I'll ever have! You're not allowed to laugh at it, okay? :)

TempoDonkeyConcertina.jpg

I love the Dalek stickers. :) Doctor Who fan perhaps?

In terms of the concertina, the quote is "Everything comes to he who waits". Ordered late March 1989, collected early March 1999. Dipper 36 key + drone C/G Anglo, named "Athena" by a friend who knows about these things! It's the only instrument which has been made for me, so I guess it's very personal, and I'd be very unlikely to ever sell it!

Very nice! I'm going to bring my Dipper to my grave, too, no way I'm ever going to sell. How careful are you with the instrument when you go in pubs with it? I'm thinking I'm never going to leave it by itself, even bring it with me in the toilets :-)

In terms of the concertina, the quote is "Everything comes to he who waits". Ordered late March 1989, collected early March 1999. Dipper 36 key + drone C/G Anglo, named "Athena" by a friend who knows about these things! It's the only instrument which has been made for me, so I guess it's very personal, and I'd be very unlikely to ever sell it!

Very nice! I'm going to bring my Dipper to my grave, too, no way I'm ever going to sell. How careful are you with the instrument when you go in pubs with it? I'm thinking I'm never going to leave it by itself, even bring it with me in the toilets :-)

"Athena" doesn't drink, and, as far as I recall, has only been to the pub on about six occasions. If I've been out for a beer, and to play some tunes, "Harvey" normally keeps me company. I'd want them both to be played after I "pass on" :) .

A more serious comment; the Dipper was planned as a "concert" instrument, and was never intended to be played in sessions. I'm sure that, eventually, it will have a few scratches appear, but it still looks as good as new, apart from wear on the handstraps. Just think; 10 years old, next March. Concertinas have been to the toilet with me, unless I've been absolutely certain that they would come to no harm, or be abducted, left where they were. You only need to get it wrong once, and I hope I never do.

So here is the challenge to post a picture of your concertina. :)

And why you like it.

Well this is what mine looks like between the fingers.

Lachenal Anglo Ca. 1914'ish.

Why do I like it? Ah, come on. Who wouldn't ? ;)

post-1882-1225997002_thumb.jpg

Edited by fidjit

post-536-1226001312_thumb.jpgI have used this picture on here before but I never get fed up with seeing these two beauties.One departed shortly after this picture was taken but the other has been a faithful companion for the last 28 years. This picture reminds me of sitting around the garden on a summers evening, something that was in short supply this year.David.

I have to believe that my concertina is just the best, because it's probably the only one I'll ever have! You're not allowed to laugh at it, okay? :)

You are still young, and opportunities may present themselves that you don't expect now, so don't be surprised when you get that next instrument.:)

Alan

post-815-1225989769_thumb.jpg

This is the result of trying to learn Anglo or English. Bought by mistake, refurbed by The Button Box, unable to be sold....and eventually the one I seem to be able to play....Go Figa ! Still in high pitch at this point...but then..... ;)

Hey Jack,

Looks nice! Lots of reeds for you to tune, better get started...(probably more fun then making concrete flutes! :P )

Take care,

Jon

Concertinas have been to the toilet with me, unless I've been absolutely certain that they would come to no harm, or be abducted, left where they were. You only need to get it wrong once, and I hope I never do.

I would be really nervous about having a really expensive concertina...because I might loose or break it (I'm rather clumsy). If I had to go to the loo I'd padlock it to something that couldn't be moved...or give it to my mum to hold. lol!

Quite a useful thread this.....

Hands up how many of you have described a concertina player that you met by saying something like ...

"(s)he was playing a 1920's treble Aeola, metal ends, nice bellows papers ...."

The tall dark and handsome or pony tail, nose ring and tattoos comes a lot further down the list :lol:

I'd certainly remember that; don't think I've ever seen one!

Whoops - slip of the brain - pick another decade - still it goes to prove the point!

Hands up how many of you have described a concertina player that you met by saying something like ...

The tall dark and handsome or pony tail, nose ring and tattoos comes a lot further down the list :lol:

Is this another way to tell whether you're still a beginner?

I'm still at the tall, dark, handsome and tattooed stage! :rolleyes:

i always remember the instrument. i've seen so many carrolls that i even remember the serial numbers. people's names on the other hand....