Picture this

LDT

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So here is the challenge to post a picture of your concertina. :)

And why you like it.

Just to clarify, I presume you mean "Like the picture".

Why you like the concertina in the picture you've posted....but you can say why you like the picture too.

Edited by LDT

..................and on another note keep it clean no dodgy pictures ok. (I know it like waving a red flag to a bull...but I'm not afraid to go running to the mods if anyone steps over the good taste line)

No need to be a tattle tale. I'm already over the line of good taste wherever that may be, so I guess no picture. For us foreigners, what's a dodgy concertina? Or was it a dodgy picture?

Thanks

Leo

..................and on another note keep it clean no dodgy pictures ok. (I know it like waving a red flag to a bull...but I'm not afraid to go running to the mods if anyone steps over the good taste line)

No need to be a tattle tale. I'm already over the line of good taste wherever that may be, so I guess no picture. For us foreigners, what's a dodgy concertina? Or was it a dodgy picture?

Thanks

Leo

*sigh* :rolleyes:

(dodgy....suspect aka anything 'adult content')

I know you are all well behave and really should have kept my mouth shut...I do tend to blurt out posts. :unsure: :( and think of worst case scenarios.

Edited by LDT

Why you like the concertina in the picture you've posted....but you can say why you like the picture too.

Here's one which visitors to my YouTube channel will recognise.

In terms of the concertina, the quote is "Everything comes to he who waits". Ordered late March 1989, collected early March 1999. Dipper 36 key + drone C/G Anglo, named "Athena" by a friend who knows about these things! It's the only instrument which has been made for me, so I guess it's very personal, and I'd be very unlikely to ever sell it!

As to the photograph, I saw the potential to use the light in such a way as to reduce the colour palette. By correctly exposing for the music, the amboyna wood of the concertina, and oak of the table have come out dark, giving an air of "age and mystery" to the photograph. The brass-capped buttons highlight, and contrast, well against the amboyna.

post-1710-1225970033_thumb.jpg

Here's one which visitors to my YouTube channel will recognise.

In terms of the concertina, the quote is "Everything comes to he who waits". Ordered late March 1989, collected early March 1999. Dipper 36 key + drone C/G Anglo, named "Athena" by a friend who knows about these things! It's the only instrument which has been made for me, so I guess it's very personal, and I'd be very unlikely to ever sell it!

As to the photograph, I saw the potential to use the light in such a way as to reduce the colour palette. By correctly exposing for the music, the amboyna wood of the concertina, and oak of the table have come out dark, giving an air of "age and mystery" to the photograph. The brass-capped buttons highlight, and contrast, well against the amboyna.

Excellent..perfect example of what I'm looking from for this thread.

*gold star for you*

What's the tune on the paper?

I know you are all well behave and really should have kept my mouth shut...I do tend to blurt out posts. :unsure: :( and think of worst case scenarios.

Think "demographics", and how these might change as a result ......... or maybe not :unsure:

Think "demographics", and how these might change as a result ......... or maybe not :unsure:

I do hope this goes well and doesn't go off topic or descend into arguing....if it all goes wrong again...I'll cry. :( I just can't seem to post anything that doesn't get derailed.

Excellent..perfect example of what I'm looking from for this thread.

*gold star for you*

What's the tune on the paper?

Thanks, Miss (or Ms, if you prefer).

I'd like to keep it "under wraps" since I'm hoping that a friend will record it and put it up on YouTube. Let's just say that it's a bit of a "bugger" to play correctly. I have transcribed the music (that was my transcription in the photo) [posting interrupted, as I've just had a mail from 10, Downing Street - I signed a petition immediately after a certain Katie Melua!!!]

..... now, where was I? Oh yes, tune XXXXX; I have already recorded it/uploaded it to YouTube as a "Private" (non-adult content) video. Would you like me to keep you in suspense, or release it to you?

And why you like it.

Which one! I'm down to 6 now. I just sold 3. They're the ones that are the brunt of most of the jokes on this forum. Just look at the picture! Do you see my shame?!? Well, DO YOU??

Thanks, you really know how to hurt a guy. :(

Don't feel bad for me though, I did learn something about cricket, there are batsman and wicket keepers but no vampires. Or maybe they just don't show up in photos.

Picture

Edited by drbones

And why you like it.

Which one! I'm down to 6 now. I just sold 3. They're the ones that are the brunt of most of the jokes on this forum. Just look at the picture! Do you see my shame?!? Well, DO YOU??

Thanks, you really know how to hurt a guy. :(

Don't feel bad for me though, I did learn something about cricket, there are batsman and wicket keepers but no vampires. Or maybe they just don't show up in photos.

concertina-cricket.jpg

At least you have a sporty concertina ;)

I did learn something about cricket, there are batsman and wicket keepers but no vampires. Or maybe they just don't show up in photos.

Picture

I would have thought that an Aeola, or Edeophone might have bounced better! So; a new term enters cricket parlance .... "Bowl him a big Dipper".

This, if I've managed to upload it, is my 1851 amboyna Scates english. This concertina gave me many 'happy' hours researching the maker - one Joseph Scates of London, Doncaster, Dublin, Liverpool Belfast and Dublin again, the results of which can be found, variously, in the Horniman library, Doncaster library and archive also Jon McNamarra has a copy (possibly in the ICA library) Don Worrall also got inflicted with a copy. Many thanks to those people who help me with info.

chris (who hasn't a clue about uploading pictures - if it didn't work I'll try again!!)

bit small I have no idea how to get it bigger :(

Edited by chris