Gobama!

I'll reserve judgment until after Dec,15. That's the day the Electoral College casts the official vote. We've already had a popular vote overturned recently under our indirect election process. Gore won the popular vote, and Bush won the presidency.

I would have preferred if Mr Obama was more specific in what changes he had in mind. He campaigned saying he's for change, but never said to what end, so the joy will have to wait to see what's in store for us.

Thanks

Leo :unsure:

27th lawyer too! Still some work to be done there! :D

Whatever happens, this has been a faaaaaaaaantastic moment. Who could not be moved by the sight of Jesse Jackson in tears? Makes me all teary just to think of it.

The future is not in our hands. But our concertinas are, so let's get squeezing. B)

Not everyone shares your opinions, nor expects to share "one's" opinion.

Indeed. We often disagree on matters relating to the concertina too :lol:

But while the prime concern of this forum is matters relating to the concertina (and Mudcat shows what happens when the reins are too slack) neither are we totally isolated from what happens in the world around us. And - whatever your perspective on it - you have to admit this is a biggy. From which you may gather I am unrepentant.

Who could not be moved by the sight of Jesse Jackson in tears? Makes me all teary just to think of it.

That was a key moment for me too.

Cheers,

Chris

Edited by Chris Timson

This is the 44th time in a row you have failed to elect a concertina player as president!

Are you so sure of that, mate?

anglous-fig09-W532H600.png

According to Dan Worrall, who I trust in these matters, that is Gerald R. Ford, Jr. as an infant, with concertina, June 1914.

Chris

This is the 44th time in a row you have failed to elect a concertina player as president!

anglous-fig09-W532H600.png

According to Dan Worrall, who I trust in these matters, that is Gerald R. Ford, Jr. as an infant, with concertina, June 1914.

Chris

Nixon appointed Ford to the vice-presidency after Agnew resigned, then Nixon himself resigned, making Ford the only president we've had whom we definitely did not elect. If he's the only one to touch a concertina, Steve's still right. Note: whatever you think of 2000 (and I for one don't feel the need to hear either side again), W. doesn't count as wholly unelected, since I don't think anyone disputes he was elected in 2004.

jdms

Chris

Hmmm, hmmm, hmmm... Gerald Ford's image has just taken a turn for the better.

I understand that Richard Nixon was an accordionist. In the abscence of an actual concertina player having held office, perhaps this makes him the number 1 president? (as far as this forum is concerned). Should I have kept with the lead of jdms and referred to President Nixon as just plain old M?

Perhaps the honour of being "number 1" president (on this site) belongs to Idi Amin. I am led to believe that a recording exists of him playing button accordion, and that he played casually for relaxation and his own enjoyment.

Is anybody able to confirm the existence of this recording, and if so, is it authentic?

But while the prime concern of this forum is matters relating to the concertina (and Mudcat shows what happens when the reins are too slack) neither are we totally isolated from what happens in the world around us. And - whatever your perspective on it - you have to admit this is a biggy. From which you may gather I am unrepentant.

Mudcat is a scary place..saying hello can cause a fight. :ph34r: :unsure:

It probably doesn't count, but back in 1888, President Grover Cleveland was likened to a concertina, as one of his own generals told him:

'...the free trade men can take hold of one handle and you go to them, and the high tariff men grasp the other end and you yield to them. I don't know of anything that you resemble more than a concertina. Pull it in and out and at either end, or at both ends at once, and it is equally pliable.'

Look on the bright side....no more politicians running for president....until at least next week, when they start running for 2012! :lol:

Edited by Dan Worrall

Having grown up in a segregated South and fully aware of my family's involvement in slavery and the subsequent oppression of their descendents, this national act alone represents the possibility of redemption.

I'm still in shock and deeply moved. Last night at Stones was packed wall to wall and none of us wanted to leave until the western results came in. I'm glad I pulled my self out the door and went home in time to share it with my Dominique.

At 11:10 the first firecrackers and car horns went off in Milford. Perhaps we have turned a page.

Needless to remind everyone not to turn this forum in useless fruitless pointless political exchange.

I'm glad to know we've got a new moderator. Congratulations for your new job.

I'm glad this forum doesn't need a moderator most of the time, because personal attacks are so rare.

How about if we all chip in and send Mr. Obama a nice concertina, just to "level the playing field"?

Mr. McCain was, indeed gracious and almost noble. How grateful we are for that.

Still a lot of work to do; let's get to it!

45% of the US is still racist, still ignorant and still believes the rich white man's press.

And what poll did these "facts" come from? You obviously don't feel that you're one of that 45%, although your words seem to indicate otherwise.

On a lighter note, seeing the picture of Mr. Ford, I wonder at what age he stopped wearing dresses. I also wonder if Mr. Obama wore dresses as a child.

Edited by drbones

Strongly disagree. Presidents have a surprising (to me) amount of power to shape the agenda if they want to use it. Witness how much harm Bush has done to the world. It remains to be seen, but I hope Obama is a force for good as Bush wasn't. We shall see ...

Chris