And Speaking Of Noel Hill Events

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:( For those who are considering NHICS this year, the last time I conversed with Linda, she said that NY was overbooked. So that class is really full and I expect the West Coast class is too -- it has been for several years just like NY. This means that the only possible vacancies may be at the Mid West class and I expect that's filling fast.

I can remember back to 1996 (the second year of the school) when total attendance was 11! But it was a blast -- and every year since has been too. I just really miss Bucksteep cause it was IMHO the best site and mid September was a perfect time for NHICS. The week was capped off with the NE Squeeze-In that concluding weekend.

But Noel has two growing children and it seems the switch to summer made all the difference as class sizes have exploded. It's to Noel's credit that he hung in with the same modest attendance for several years to get the class established, and now it's paying off! If you're reading this, thanks Noel!

Looking forward to meeting new players and sharing tunes in Erlanger!

Have Dipper, will travel!

I can remember back to 1996 (the second year of the school) when total attendance was 11! But it was a blast -- and every year since has been too. I just really miss Bucksteep cause it was IMHO the best site and mid September was a perfect time for NHICS. The week was capped off with the NE Squeeze-In that concluding weekend.

How about 1997 Ross? (My first year) Only ten attended that year.

I liked Bucksteep Manor also...though there were ups and downs: The occasional arctic rain storm in September, and the famous "underdone" hog roast of 1997 (I will never forget the expression on Dana Johnson's face then).

I've heard from a number of last year's NHICS Midwest attendees who are planning

to return this year. With some new faces and transfers from the coasts the camp at Marydale is filling up fast. Get in your reservation soon!

Marydale is in northern Kentucky as is the Covington/Cincinnati Airport. The airport is no more than 10 minutes away and downtown Cincinnati is about a 12 minute interstate drive. There is shopping and restaurants and sightseeing close by for companions and the Latonia harness racing track is within a determined walk. Most of us participants will be busy with class and practice, but if Noel doesn't keep us too late there is talk of us invading the "German Beer Hall and Garden" in Newport, KY. You know, surround the local chemintzers, and force them to surrender. There is also an Irish style pub in nearby Covington, KY.

The cicada invasion will be over by August. (Did you know that one batch on the west side of the Licking River has an entirely different pitch than a batch on the east side? I need to call Paul Groff and see which one has preserved the original "old tuning"! And with Paul's background in biology, he could probably tell me!) There will be some evening mosquitoes and lots of heat. Dress comfortably.

This camp will see the debut of a brand new and very fine concertina. Wally Carroll has been working very hard on a Linota inspired 30 button instrument.

It features steel reeds in brass shoes that Wally has fabricated himself. I'm due to receive #2 next week (June 15). I've already played the instrument, prior to final finishing, and I was quite pleased with the sound, action and response. I'll be glad to let you try this instrument at camp. With some hard work, Wally intends to have Connie D's finished by the start of camp so there could be two! brand new "Carroll Concertinas" for you to try.

I'm looking forward to meeting new people and seeing old friends.

Greg

Assuming there's still openings in the Midwest school, I'll be attending again this year.

I'm anxious to see Wally's new concertina as well. Who knows, maybe I'll order one before there's a 4 year wait.

And for those who haven't seen it, pictures from last year's Midwest camp are here: http://www.crusheddreams.com/roy/gallery/NHICS2003

UPDATE: Happily, there was still room for me, so I'll be there for sure. Now if only I can figure out how to conquer my "playing in front of Noel" nerves this year.

Edited by RoyJanik

The coordinator for NHICS has informed me that there are 5 or 6 openings left for the Midwest camp at Marydale in northern Kentucky. Camp begins August 15th.

Hurry! Hurry ! Hurry! Make your reservation. We will all tell you it is an experience not to be missed! (If you live through the audition!)

Greg

:( Ah, the dreaded phenomenon called short-term memory. What an oxymoron. It always fails one as soon as Noel asks you to perform a tune. As I can attest, this horror is re-lived every year. At least it has been for me since 1996! Then there's the associated ailment called rubber fingers!

I wouldn't miss it for the world! See you all in August.

So I booked my flight to Cincinnati for the Midwest camp, but it was so much cheaper to fly in on the 14th rather than the 15th that I just had to do it. Anyone else getting in early? I'm not sure whether to get a hotel room or go find a pub to fall down in until the next day.

• 4 weeks later...

So now I can't go :((((

My husband was just offered (and accepted) a full time professor position in Portales, NM. Giving us FIVE WEEKS to: pack up everything we own, spend a week in NM looking for a house to buy (thankfully we rent now), and then move us, 3 dogs and 2 cats from central Missouri to eastern New Mexico.

And it looks like we're moving the week of NHICS midwest :( or the week before.

I thought about toughing it out and going anyway, but the notion of driving from Cincinatti to New Mexico, alone, in August, and 4 1/2 months' pregnant (by then), was just too much.

Well, there's always next year!!

Well heck, Rhomylly, I don't know whether to be happy or sad for you! I've seen how tough it can be to find a full-time professor gig, because it took my brother 5 years, so I'm glad your husband found one. (And you'll practically be neighbors -- my brother's in Las Vegas at UNLV.) It is too bad about missing the school, though. As you say, there's always next year! I'm missing a few music and dance weekends and weeks this year, but there's next year for me too.

:) (I guess?)

Steven

Oh Rhomylly,

I am thrilled your husband got a full professorship and you now know where you'll be, always nice.

Awfully sad that you are not going to Noell's camp this year.

Hope the pregnancy goes well.

Wish you were moving closer to me, not further away.

Aw well, that is selfish.

Happy for you. Have a safe move and take it easy on the drive.

Helen

My husband was just offered (and accepted) a full time professor position in Portales, NM. Giving us FIVE WEEKS to: pack up everything we own, spend a week in NM looking for a house to buy (thankfully we rent now), and then move us, 3 dogs and 2 cats from central Missouri to eastern New Mexico.

My cousin Steve and his wife both teach at Portales in the Anthropology Dept (it is just a few km from the original Clovis site, which Eastern NMU takes care of). They have gotten along well there and it is a cheap place to live. They are very happy with the doctor they have (their daughter was born there, I believe?) BTW. Steve was even elected President of the faculty at some point, that is how small a place it is!

Look him up.

Steve Durand

Anthropology.

(he's not a musician, however)

Ken

Ken, we will definitely do that! too bad he's not a musician tho' :(

How old is their daughter?

I'll send you details, and introduce you to each other, off the bbs. Seems to me everyone in Portales has 3 dogs and 2 cats so you'll fit right in. I've not seen any free reeds there, so you'll be the local expert (like all the faculty in their respective fields at that tiny campus). Perhaps you can organize the Noel Hill School Portales week (getting back on topic here!). Cheers.