No Interest!

Ptarmigan

I think trebles were designed to play melodies on, rather than be used to accompany the human voice. The standard 48 key English treble has the same note range as the violin - from the G below middle C to the C three octaves above - and as such, is considered to have the most suitable range of notes for playing the melodies of popular tunes and folk tunes, especially English country dance and morris dance tunes, the EC having now become a very popular instrument at folk sessions.

Chris

Actually, it makes a treble good for playing anything you could play on a fiddle!

If you want to sound like a fiddle too, you need to do some work with the bellows but you can get close. I remember closing my eyes at the concert where Alistair Anderson played with the Lindsay String Quartet. In the final number where Alistair was playing the second violin part, you would swear that all the instruments were strings.

Roger

I see that the bass concertina didn't sell.

Chris

Bit of a funny one isn't it? You wouldn't have it as a main instrument, more as a luxury novelty, so it's not going to be a fast seller, I don't think.

On the other hand, even I looked at it and thought 'Bet that's fun'; but I wasn't ever going to be seriously tempted as I don't play Engrish anyway. I'm surprised someone didn't grab it though. Do you want to have a little wager with me that Chris gets offered a PX in the near future as some one 'weighs in' their relatively normal second instrument against it?

£1500 is a very reasonable price to pay for such a rareish instrument. I'd love to have it. Sadly, I don't have that kind of money to spare. Shame I haven't got anything to PX it for either, or I'd take you up on your wager.

Chris

Only one bid for 3000 pounds for the Dickinson Wheatstone, it seems the buyer got a great bargain?

Maybe but it was Dickinsen's second tier model so perhaps the price was right. It is his top model that is the real beauty although this was probably a nice player.