No Interest!

Ptarmigan

I notice with interest that, what look like, four very nice Concertinas on eBay right now, haven't had a single bid between them!

Is this a sign that the credit crunch is starting to bite, or just an indication that everyone has all the concertinas they need? ;)

Cheers

Dick

Lachenal Concertina

Bass Concertina

Wheatstone 30 Key Anglo

Wheatstone 30 Key Anglo

• Like 1

I notice with interest that, what look like, four very nice Concertinas on eBay right now, haven't had a single bid between them!

Is this a sign that the credit crunch is starting to bite, or just an indication that everyone has all the concertinas they need? ;)

Cheers

Dick

Lachenal Concertina

Bass Concertina

Wheatstone 30 Key Anglo

Wheatstone 30 Key Anglo

Dick,

There is a third possibility, the reserve prices may be higher than the market is willing to bear. (or is perceived to bear)

Last month I bought a VERY well preserved 1868 Wheatstone English. (Wheatstones usually bring 25% to 50% higher price than Lachenals, even higher for the very old instruments) Rosewood ends and case, for 409GBP. It seemed an average price. I've been keeping my eye on the eBay prices, for a few years, and I haven't really seen a radical jump up or down.

The first concertina is a Lachenal and priced nearly 200GBP above the aforementioned Wheatstone. The second is a bass English (RARE) and of indeterminate "parentage". (I must agree, it IS either a Lachenal or Wheatstone!) It could well be worth the 1500GBP reserve, but you'd have to be a pro or a "financially well off" collector to be buying this instrument. The third appears to be a Mayfair Wheatstone, metal-ended, but mostly of mahogany, rather than rosewood, construction. It comes with a standard leather Wheatstone case, but the 3,000GBP price is enough to scare anybody! (comparable Lachenal 30-button Anglos can be had for about 800GBP, about 1/4 of this reserve) Lastly is another Wheatstone Anglo, at 1600GBP. About 2x what the comparable Lachenals usually go for.

I'm a collector, player and restorer of vintage concertinas. Speaking for myself, (even though I live on a fixed income, I'm 100% disabled) I'm still very much in the market for additional, quality, instruments, for re-sale or my own enjoyment. Except for the bass, I think the prices for these concertinas are at too high of a reserve. But that is merely my opinion and should be "taken with a grain of salt". Thanx for allowing me to put my 2 cents in! Cordially, KerryF

Wheatstone 30 Key Anglo

Wheatstone 30 Key Anglo

....... The third appears to be a Mayfair Wheatstone, metal-ended, but mostly of mahogany, rather than rosewood, construction. It comes with a standard leather Wheatstone case, but the 3,000GBP price is enough to scare anybody! (comparable Lachenal 30-button Anglos can be had for about 800GBP, about 1/4 of this reserve) Lastly is another Wheatstone Anglo, at 1600GBP. About 2x what the comparable Lachenals usually go for.

I don't know where Chris Algar has set his reserve for these two instruments, but I'd be amazed if there were no bids at the starting prices. The G/D Dickinson Wheatstone looks to be an excellent instrument, and I would also expect the Mayfair Wheatstone to find a new home. Time will tell .........

Credit crunch or debit dump, I don't know. The credit crunch did not hit me (so far :huh: ).

I don't have all the concertina's I need, I could use a better c/g anglo but maybe I need to have the money before I buy a better instrument(?). Could it be worth another poll to ask people what kind of concertina they have and what they think is the actual value, or ask them how much they think that their next (a better) concertina should cost :rolleyes: ?

Anyhow, let's wait and see what the bid snipers will do... ;)

The G/D Dickinson Wheatstone looks to be an excellent instrument, and I would also expect the Mayfair Wheatstone to find a new home. Time will tell .........

Hi Peter,

I am puzzled, is the C/G a Mayfair?

Marien

Hello Marien,

the Mayfair wasn´t listed but can be viewed here

It´s an English.

Greetings

Christian

The G/D Dickinson Wheatstone looks to be an excellent instrument, and I would also expect the Mayfair Wheatstone to find a new home. Time will tell .........

Hi Peter,

Marien

Hi Peter,

Marien

Sorry for the confusion, Marien.

Mayfair Wheatstone Anglos date from a slightly later period than this one, and are generally thought of as poorer quality. So this C/G looks to be a "late" one, but not a Mayfair. I would expect it to go back to Ireland!

Regards,

Peter.

Sorry for the confusion, Marien.

Mayfair Wheatstone Anglos date from a slightly later period than this one, and are generally thought of as poorer quality. So this C/G looks to be a "late" one, but not a Mayfair. I would expect it to go back to Ireland!

Regards,

Peter.

Hello Peter, you're welcome.

Don't worry, what would be life if there wasn't any confusion...

One of the things that also helped to get confused is that, according to KerryF "the third..." (this is the D/G) "appears to be a Mayfair Wheatstone, metal-ended, but mostly of mahogany, rather than rosewood, construction. It comes with a standard leather Wheatstone case, but the 3,000GBP price is...".

My impression is that the D/G is much better then the Mayfair type, although it has mahogany woods. It has raised ends, and I would expect individual reeds, possibly in aluminium frames (it does not look that old). Am I wrong there?

Cheers.

Marien

One of the things that also helped to get confused is that, according to KerryF "the third..." (this is the D/G) "appears to be a Mayfair Wheatstone, metal-ended, but mostly of mahogany, rather than rosewood, construction. It comes with a standard leather Wheatstone case, but the 3,000GBP price is...".

My impression is that the D/G is much better then the Mayfair type, although it has mahogany woods. It has raised ends, and I would expect individual reeds, possibly in aluminium frames (it does not look that old). Am I wrong there?

Hi Marien,

This G/D, is a Steve Dickinson Wheatstone, made c1980. Traditionally made, with individual reeds in radial reedpans. Probably aluminium alloy reed-frames. For a while, I had a 40 key C/G No.60041 which dated from c1982; I think that this one had aluminium alloy reed-frames, but one of the two subsequent owners (both C.net members) might be able to confirm this.

No.60025 should be a joy to own/play. If I wanted a G/D, and had the money, I'd be very near the front of the queue for this instrument. The only down-side is the wear on the plating, but this is normal for modern plating. Steve got my Wheatstone re-plated in 1986, and it's worn through where I rest my right little finger (too much standing up, playing for the Morris!).

Regards,

Peter.

I played that G/D Wheatstone when I went to see Chris back in May. I went for my Crabb in preference (even though it was considerably more expensive), but the Wheatstone was a very nice sounding instrument. It's been discussed on here before (about last March/April, I think) and somebody then commented on the lack of openings in the fretwork and thought it might sound "like a frog in a well". It actually sounds much better than that, but for whatever reason it's obviously taking a while to shift.

Cheers

Dick

Lachenal Concertina

Bass Concertina

Wheatstone 30 Key Anglo

Wheatstone 30 Key Anglo

Dick,

There is a third possibility, the reserve prices may be higher than the market is willing to bear. (or is perceived to bear)

Last month I bought a VERY well preserved 1868 Wheatstone English. (Wheatstones usually bring 25% to 50% higher price than Lachenals, even higher for the very old instruments) Rosewood ends and case, for 409GBP. It seemed an average price. I've been keeping my eye on the eBay prices, for a few years, and I haven't really seen a radical jump up or down.

The first concertina is a Lachenal and priced nearly 200GBP above the aforementioned Wheatstone. The second is a bass English (RARE) and of indeterminate "parentage". (I must agree, it IS either a Lachenal or Wheatstone!) It could well be worth the 1500GBP reserve, but you'd have to be a pro or a "financially well off" collector to be buying this instrument. The third appears to be a Mayfair Wheatstone, metal-ended, but mostly of mahogany, rather than rosewood, construction. It comes with a standard leather Wheatstone case, but the 3,000GBP price is enough to scare anybody! (comparable Lachenal 30-button Anglos can be had for about 800GBP, about 1/4 of this reserve) Lastly is another Wheatstone Anglo, at 1600GBP. About 2x what the comparable Lachenals usually go for.

I'm a collector, player and restorer of vintage concertinas. Speaking for myself, (even though I live on a fixed income, I'm 100% disabled) I'm still very much in the market for additional, quality, instruments, for re-sale or my own enjoyment. Except for the bass, I think the prices for these concertinas are at too high of a reserve. But that is merely my opinion and should be "taken with a grain of salt". Thanx for allowing me to put my 2 cents in! Cordially, KerryF

I would say that the first one, although a Lachenal, is worth a lot more than the usual victorian instrument. These New Models are real players. The bass is a very rare instrument and should also fetch a reasonable sum. The others have already been discussed.

the bass is a single action with 5 bellow folds. That number of bellow folds seems low for a single action instrument, and might be a drawback, but experienced players of single action instruments may say differently.

- John Wild

Cheers

Dick

Lachenal Concertina

Bass Concertina

Wheatstone 30 Key Anglo

Wheatstone 30 Key Anglo

Well the D/G has one bid & the C/G has two bids now, plus 4 questions have been asked about the Lachenal, so it looks like I spoke too soon. ;)

I'm curious though, are 5 bellows really far too few for that Bass Concertina, after all there is a huge space inside that set of bellows?

Cheers

Dick

I'm curious though, are 5 bellows really far too few for that Bass Concertina, after all there is a huge space inside that set of bellows?

Cheers

Dick

I think you are right, the volume would be about 88/36 larger compared to a 5 fold 6 inch concertina. With five bellows on this bass concertina you are moving the same amount of air for a normally sized concertina with 12 folds in stead of 5. Even if the bass reeds take more wind, this seems more than enough to me.

I think you are right, the volume would be about 88/36 larger compared to a 5 fold 6 inch concertina. With five bellows on this bass concertina you are moving the same amount of air for a normally sized concertina with 12 folds in stead of 5. Even if the bass reeds take more wind, this seems more than enough to me.

Thanks Marien, I knew someone out there would be fit to do the maths ... it was way beyond me! :(

N. B. I notice that a rather nice looking 56 key Extended Aeola has just popped up on eBay! ;)

Cheers

Dick

Edited by Ptarmigan