Demographics

LDT

So what's the demographics of players  

148 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Peter Laban
I thought the business about the Anglo being mainly an instrument for the ladies in Ireland (used to be called "The Ladies' Accordion) was a bit out-dated now? I'm sure the gender balance amongst Anglo players must be very different to what is was 30 or more years ago.

A brief look-around at concertina classes in Ireland (Willie Clancy week, Mrs Crotty, Noel Hill's classes in Ennis) still shows a 70-30 percentage in favour of the female

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A brief look-around at concertina classes in Ireland (Willie Clancy week, Mrs Crotty, Noel Hill's classes in Ennis) still shows a 70-30 percentage in favour of the female

Best get me name down quick, then! :lol:

It isn't a singles dating club. :o :huh: :blink:

Best get me name down quick, then!

Do realise the average age at these classes is probably around 12-15

If some of these youngsters keep playing this must be good news for the future. Unfortunately we all did things when we were nippers that we dropped later because they were uncool (or whatever the lingo has it nowadays).

Ian

I thought the business about the Anglo being mainly an instrument for the ladies in Ireland (used to be called "The Ladies' Accordion) was a bit out-dated now? I'm sure the gender balance amongst Anglo players must be very different to what is was 30 or more years ago.

I wonder if this is because more ladies than men play? Or that more ladies than men are willing to seek out help when they need it? You know, the old "Why don't men ever ask directions when they're lost" schtick.

I've always erred on the side of figuring things out for myself, and I can't say that it has always been the best course (although very educational, in its own, painful sort of way.)

Unfortunately we all did things when we were nippers that we dropped later because they were uncool (or whatever the lingo has it nowadays).

Not
all

I'm still uncool. (Guess that means I can't use the dark-glasses emoticon here.)

Like you Jim, I stayed uncool and it's never bothered me in the slightest. Now I'm even uncooler music-wise with my new (old) concertina. Luckily, most everyone I know is a radical traditionalist and doesn't give a fig either.

Ian

Edited by Hereward

I'm a young person and I think concertina's are cool...there are pleanty of teenagers I'm sure would like to 'rebel' by learning the concertina.

You are one of the reasons I haven't completely given up on the yooth LDT; like so many my age and above have in their minds at least. If things are really in a circle (or a spiral more likely) then it may well become super cool to play the concertina. Unfortunately, I'll either be old as Methusala or playing down below (no way I'm going to heaven).

Ian