Who Makes The Best Concertina Cases?

Ptarmigan

Where, in the UK or Ireland, {in your opinion } would I be able to buy a really good, strong, Concertina Case for my Wheatstone English Treble Concertina?

I've seen those cheap & cheerful chinese boxes for £39.99, but I'm really looking for something a bit more substantial, like a good strong flight case.

Please feel free to PM me, if you'd rather not favour any one maker over another, ....... in public. ;)

Cheers

Dick

Where, in the UK or Ireland, {in your opinion } would I be able to buy a really good, strong, Concertina Case for my Wheatstone English Treble Concertina?

I've seen those cheap & cheerful chinese boxes for £39.99, but I'm really looking for something a bit more substantial, like a good strong flight case.

Please feel free to PM me, if you'd rather not favour any one maker over another, ....... in public. ;)

Cheers

Dick

I'm in the same situation. My Wheatstone came with it's original box, but the catch is not very reliable... and I worry about the wear and tear I'm subjecting on the case.

I emailed the Wheatstone website enquiring about whether they sell cases for older Wheatstones but I'm still waiting for a reply.

Please let me know what you find out - I'm not so much looking for a flight case, as a sleek but strong and protective case to take about to sessions etc.

cheers,

Pamela

Greg Jowaisis, in the US, makes great cases. I have two of them.

He's a frequent poster here.

Sean Fallon, also in the US, makes nice cases though I haven't seen one first hand.

In Ireland there is:

Griffin Anthony

Concertina Cases

066 976 8163

Mountain Stage

Glenbeigh Kerry

Ireland

Mark Davies has a lovely double case made by Griffin.

I'd rather support somebody making good things by hand than a company making mass-produced caca.

Hi

If you're able to do a bit of padding or picking out bits of pre-cut foam then I'd recommend a 'Storm iM2075' built like the proverbial brick s**thouse. I use one for my Lachenal treble. I believe 'Thomas' concertinas supply them with their concertinas. If you google 'Storm Cases' you should find them and a supplier. I bought mine on the net from Jit-Pak

chris

Another vote for the cases The Music Room sell (the Acoustica ones).

I've had one ever since I got my EC and it's perfectly sturdy enough for anything my everyday usage throws at it, including sessions, festivals, morris tours, a drunk standing on it at a concert for a better view because they thought I wouldn't mind, and packing it in the car for gigs with the concertina piled in with the PA and all the other gubbins. I've made it a snugger fit with a couple of beer towels to prevent any movement inside the case.

I probably wouldn't entrust it to airport baggage handlers, but I don't think any hard case would give me sufficient confidence to do that!

Another vote for the cases The Music Room sell (the Acoustica ones).

I've made it a snugger fit with a couple of beer towels to prevent any movement inside the case.

On a top quality case I would have thought this would not be necessary. It would be fitted to the instrument. I have both Jowaisas and Fallon cases and they ar both excellent. Unfortunately both are North American made so may not meet your requirements.

Edited by Paul Read

<_< I don't know if it will fit your instrument, but Marcus Music, Tredegar, S. Wales supplied me with a pukka flight case for a 6.5 inch sided Jeffries duet. £60 was the price and it takes everything that can be thrown/dropped at/on it!! (I'm not connected to his business in any way- just in case the thought occurs.) :rolleyes:

Hi

If you're able to do a bit of padding or picking out bits of pre-cut foam then I'd recommend a 'Storm iM2075' built like the proverbial brick s**thouse. I use one for my Lachenal treble. I believe 'Thomas' concertinas supply them with their concertinas. If you google 'Storm Cases' you should find them and a supplier. I bought mine on the net from Jit-Pak

chris

I saw one of these earlier this year at the Button Box's spring workshop (in Massachusetts) and I thought it looked like a great solution--and low-cost, too.

The manufacturer has a page describing model iM275, and from their How to Purchase page you can fill out a form to be contacted by a dealer--and they say they have dealers all over the world.

I also highly recommend the Storm iM2075 case. It is waterproof and has great latches that will not burst open. With the Pick 'n Pluck foam it is really easy to shape the internal cavity to fit your concertina. However, make sure you check the internal dimensions to insure that your concertina will fit.

I got mine for less than $40 from: http://www.imcasesnow.com/ but have not checked to see if there is a source for these in the UK.

Dave

I also highly recommend the Storm iM2075 case. It is waterproof and has great latches that will not burst open. With the Pick 'n Pluck foam it is really easy to shape the internal cavity to fit your concertina. However, make sure you check the internal dimensions to insure that your concertina will fit.

I got mine for less than $40 from: http://www.imcasesnow.com/ but have not checked to see if there is a source for these in the UK.

Dave

Thanks guys, those storm cases look great & I see that they do have a UK outlet at:

http://www.galeforcecases.co.uk/

& the price list is here:

http://www.galeforcecases.co.uk/files/case-prices2007.pdf

I'm assuming this is the one you guys are recommending?

iM2075-X0001 Case with Cubed Foam (B, Y,O) £ 46.97

However, that works out at around $77 ... so they're a little bit dearer over here Dave. ;)

Cheers

Dick

Dick,

that's what you call 'sticker shock'. I'll have to think twice before moving back to the UK (I've been over in the US since 1990).

I did return for a visit in May of this year and was blown away by the cost of living, as well as forgetting how expensive it was to eat out. However, I do miss the beer and it was great to get a pint or two of real ale down, although the pubs have changed a lot since my last visit.

Dave

Yep, the Stormcase is the best deal around. Very sturdy and waterproof, it's what Jeff Thomas uses for his boxes, and that in itself is a pretty good indicator of their quality! (check out his website for the pic)

Yep, the Stormcase is the best deal around. Very sturdy and waterproof, it's what Jeff Thomas uses for his boxes, and that in itself is a pretty good indicator of their quality! (check out his website for the pic)

Aye, a good job alright .... & I see he lines them with Velvet too! ;)

One word of caution regarding dimensions: the case is 9"&3/8 by 7" & 3/8 W and also 7& 3/8th up to the inside of the lid, WITHOUT the padding. So it's a pretty snug fit for a Thomas or a Lachenal. I don't know about an English Wheatstone... You may need the next size up.

One word of caution regarding dimensions: the case is 9"&3/8 by 7" & 3/8 W and also 7& 3/8th up to the inside of the lid, WITHOUT the padding. So it's a pretty snug fit for a Thomas or a Lachenal. I don't know about an English Wheatstone... You may need the next size up.

Thanks for the tip.

I phoned the guy on Friday afternoon, just as he was shutting up shop, so I'll be phoning back on Monday & I'll make a point of discussing dimensions in detail, rather than them send me the wrong size.

Cheers

Dick