"it's Loud Enough For Irish Music"

Azalin

I've encountered a whistle player or two who could really zing my bad ear. It hurts and makes everything sound like I'm listening through old speakers with a broken cone.

Yes, a session can get to be too much with everyone going balls out. That's when I might take my pint to a table, talk a bit and wait for the raucous cacophony to damp down. Sometimes I'm the in the midst of it, honking along like a total ass I'm sure. Whatchgonnado? :P

Obsession with both speed and volume does Concertina music no favours at all and destroys much of the pleasure... to my ear. Speed can easily outstrip talent and excess volume is simply distasteful.

Hear, hear - though I loooove volume... when I produce it ;-)

/Henrik

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flat sessions we've been having every so often usually consists of flat pipes, C flute, Bb/F Anglos, down-tuned fiddles.

Could you talk about the concertina gathering in Nantes?

I would love to come and have a session. And in fact I should be in Ireland around next week (invited to a party), but my work does not allow it at this moment. :ph34r:

A flat session would be most welcome too, so I can put my new C flute to good use. Never been to one before but I would love to. I am afraid that has to wait until next year.

The concertina gathering in Nantes is an informal gathering of French concertina players (and one or two odd foreigners). We play, exchange news, eat, drink and there is a session at saterday night. It is just an occasion to see eachother. Here-under are two photos of the 2006 edition (I wasn't there in 2007).

Nantes2006b.bmp

nantes.2005.bmp

The concertina gathering in Nantes is an informal gathering of French concertina players (and one or two odd foreigners). We play, exchange news, eat, drink and there is a session at saterday night. It is just an occasion to see eachother. Here-under are two photos of the 2006 edition (I wasn't there in 2007).

Aye, it looks like fun alright.

That 2nd photo made me wonder though ... what do you call a collection of Concertinas?

I know that if they were all playing at the same, it'd be a cacophony right? ;) ...... but when they are at rest, is there a suitable word to describe such a gathering?

On a more serious note though, on the one hand I can understand why you guys would want to get together, to swop notes, tunes, playing tips etc etc but as far as playing goes, I'll be honest, when I want to play my Concertina, the last instrument I'm looking for ..... is another Concertina!

So tell me, do you invite any other musicians to these gatherings in Nantes, or are they 'Buttons Only' gatherings?

Cheers

Dick

On a more serious note though, on the one hand I can understand why you guys would want to get together, to swop notes, tunes, playing tips etc etc but as far as playing goes, I'll be honest, when I want to play my Concertina, the last instrument I'm looking for ..... is another Concertina!

So tell me, do you invite any other musicians to these gatherings in Nantes, or are they 'Buttons Only' gatherings?

Cheers

Dick

You've not heard of 'concertina bands' then Dick B) If I remember correctly there were just under 40 at the last Hawkwood weekend that I went to

chris

You've not heard of 'concertina bands' then Dick B) If I remember correctly there were just under 40 at the last Hawkwood weekend that I went to

Sounds like my idea of Hell ;)

I remember the first concertina event which I attended, having recently joined the ICA, back in 1985. Down in Taunton (I just happened to be staying nearby for the weekend), I walked into a smallish room where there were about 25 concertina players, turned round and walked straight out again! Mind you, I still had a splitting headache from the night before! I also returned, some time later, for a talk given by Brian Hayden.

Regards,

Peter.

chris

Sorry Chris, but just not my thing I'm afraid.

I fell in love with the Fiddle 30 years ago & have played one ever since & I'm also proud to be a Scot, but I'll be honest - I'd run a mile if I saw the Scottish Fiddle Orchestra heading my way. 8.gif

My joy is hearing two, three or four different instruments knitting together sweetly.

Now that's my idea of heaven on earth. When you can't hear the voices of the individual instruments, that's when I head for the door. :(

But hey, we're all different.

Cheers

Dick

My joy is hearing two, three or four different instruments knitting together sweetly.

Now that's my idea of heaven on earth. When you can't hear the voices of the individual instruments, that's when I head for the door. :(

But hey, we're all different.

Cheers

Dick

Well that's my idea of heaven on earth as well. In my view preferably concertina, fiddle, flute (or pipes) and a bouzouki.

But two concertina's can be great fun as well. I agree that with each concertina added it will be more difficult to get a certain degree of satisfaction, but what the hell, in concertina gatherings this happens too and I have no problems with it.

nantes.2005.bmp

That second photo, chiton. Patchwork and concertinas! Oh brave new world, I'm off to look at dates right now. :)

7 hours on the train, with a change of station in Paris.......... suddenly the Ireland kitchen session is looking attractive again. :D

Well Ishtar; no pain no gain! You leave us no other option than to meet eachother in David's kitchen ....

Edited by chiton1

Well Ishtar; no pain no gain! You leave us no other option than to meet eachother in David's kitchen ....

:D

I would, but I think I have to perform in public with the sea shanty group for the Telethon at the beginning of December, and one of our practice sessions is Friday 21st November, which is the day I'd have to travel, given that it's soooooooooooooooooo faaaaaaaaaaaaaaar. And you know, the danger of changing stations in Paris is that I might just get a better offer between stations, and never make it to Nantes!

I've been reading what you're all saying about lots of concertinas together, and I have taken it on board. But just now and again I would like to see one in the flesh.

I do like pipe bands. I would follow a pipe band to the ends of the earth.

Hear, hear - though I loooove volume... when I produce it ;-)

/Henrik

Commenting my own comment - on a serious note:

I agree 100% with Wally's comments (in the beginning of this thread)

about the "direct line to the ear" missing in concertina playing. Worst

case being, IMHO, when the location is a lounge, i.e., has soft carpeting.

When I say "I love volume", I am thinking about recent sessions, where

I may join at high volume, "locate" myself in the chaos and then drop the

volume so I just about can hear myself blending in. It is something that

can be developed with time - in the beginning I panicked when I couldn't

hear. (Feel free to think "Now others panic, when they can :D )

/Henrik

:D

I would, but I think I have to perform in public with the sea shanty group for the Telethon at the beginning of December, and one of our practice sessions is Friday 21st November,

Gadzooks and sacre bleu! November 22nd is also the St Andrew's ceilidh, how could I have forgotten? It has to be the 22nd, because the big posh one, who get real dance bands from the UK'n'all, are the following weekend. Might go to one of them too, but the ceilidh is 5 euros each, and I hear that the BALL is more likely to be nearer 50. But then they have an MBE in charge. Makes all the difference, dontcha know. :P :)

Social life is like buses, eh?

In the past few months I heard a lot about some concertinas being "loud enough for irish music". I'm having a hard time understanding this, but maybe there's something I'm not getting?

If you're like me, and prefer to sit with a few friends at home and play a few tunes, why would being loud be an advantage? When people say "loud enough", does that mean in crowded sessions in pubs? Also, professional players will often be miked up and their instrument's volume won't matter.

It seems to me there's a culture of 'war' in sessions where your instrument needs to 'holds it's own' against other instruments and so on. But I'm asking, what is the fun of it, if you need to a very loud instrument to be heard or hear yourself, can the music be possibly enjoyable at this point?

I played my Dipper at a house session for the first time on friday night and I found out how much the Dipper is a 'war machine', with our guest wondering in a subtle manner if the instrument could be played quieter... It's great to have the possibility to play loud, but I'm currently trying to control it to reduce the volume, a bit like taming a wild lion :-)

Anyway, I was wondering if all the fuss about volume was about sessions and keeping those nasty pipes and accordeons at bay??

I've encountered somewhat the same thing with my Edgley concertina, and before that with button box. I think it's just a matter of learning to to play a bit quieter. My sense with the accordion was that after a year of playing a particular box, I'd learned how to play at a medium volume, and I could get a really nice soft, rich tone. Then I had to go back and learn to play a bit louder. I don't know if you have as much flexibility with concertina, but after 18 months with this one, I think I can play "loud" and "a bit softer". Whether there's much actual difference in loudness, I don't know, but I can certainly get a "softer" sound. This is a moot point at sessions...

If there's a breaking-in period (and I know there are people here who don't buy that concept), my theory is that the reeds tend towards a "natural" pitch and air pressure. Getting used to an instrument means learning subconsciously where that place is, and how much change you can expect in volume with slight variations in air pressure. Still, maybe it's the player that's breaking in.

• 2 weeks later...