Edgley Vs. Tedrow Concertinas?

Jewish Leprechaun

Well, you are probably rmembering the situation a month or so ago, when you could get 2 dollars for the pound. Currently the same pound will get you $1.59. That's 20% drop in value (or to put it another way, a 20% increase in the cost of Tedrow concertinas to British buyers).

Chris

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob and Frank are able to fill your order within six months compared to other concertina builders who will place your request on a 3 to 5 year waiting list.

If I might chime in here... Morse's are quite decent boxes too... and with our increased production (and softening of the economy) our wait list is now only a few weeks long rather than months... and some of our models are available right now - we have stock on the shelves! Check them out.

It's true that we don't offer an abundance of options or special customisations, but we do have many choices of keys, the odd special note here and there, and choice of cherry or black finish... but if that's acceptable you can get a decent box plenty quick!

Or is there something specific that you want that has limited you to an Edgley or Tedrow?

-- Rich --

No, there wasn't anything specific that limited me to Edgley or Tedrow concertinas. I'm now looking into Morse and Norman. Are the Morse concertinas all handmade?

Lep

so I really have no idea about the subtle differences of these instruments.

I've never met a Edgley, only a Tedrow concertina, and I liked it very much. What I've read about Frank Edgley's concertinas leads me to believe I'd like them very much too. That doesn't help you with your question of course, but there isn't actually an answer. You'll be glad to hear, though, that there is a reason for this.

Frank and Bob both make concertinas to order, rather than on a production line. This means they have the opportunity to offer their buyers some degree of customisation, so you can't make direct comparisons of the kind I think you are looking for. I would say that, whichever of them you deal with, you should end up with a concertina you will really like.

Chris

Edited to add PS: another maker I'd put in the same category is Andy Norman of England. The recent plunge of the pound against the dollar may make his concertinas more attractive over there in the US

Thank you for the information. What more can you tell me about Norman concertinas.

Lep

I've played Anglo concertinas made by both Edgley and Tedrow.

A person wouldn't go wrong with either concertina.

I've also played Morse concertinas, including Jody Kruskal's.

I was surprised and delighted by how great it sounded and how light it is.

Dana Johnson's "Kensington" concertinas are beautifully made

and have real concertina reeds - but they do cost 50% more.

They are great value.

No, there wasn't anything specific that limited me to Edgley or Tedrow concertinas. I'm now looking into Morse and Norman. Are the Morse concertinas all handmade?

I guess that depends on your definition of hand made.

We design 100% of the instruments except for the reeds which are very high quality accordion reeds (though we specify reed customizations from the manufacturer for our sets).

Some of our parts are made to our design/spec by others (ends, frames, springs, buttons, endbolts, strap screws, cases) which uses machinery (lasers, slicers, presses, milling machines, table saws and sanders etc.) though often we finish/complete the parts in various ways.

Most of the parts are totally made by us in our shop (action levers, action boards, padpans, chambers, pinky rests) using machinery (table saw and sanders, CNC router, drills, etc.). Some of our parts are made entirely by hand (pads, felt bushings, bellows) using hand tools (punches, knives, shears, skivers, jigs and presses, etc.)...

All the various and varied parts are completely assembled, tested, tuned and adjusted by hand in our shop.

So technically, some would say that our boxes are not entirely made by hand (without any machinery), yet most people would consider our boxes to be "hand-made".

-- Rich --

I never played a Morse concertina but I can tell you that Richard Morse is a great, great guy who's going to take the time to help you out if you've got a problem. He helped me a lot, with useful info, on this board in the past few months.

I guess that depends on your definition of hand made.

We design 100% of the instruments except for the reeds which are very high quality accordion reeds (though we specify reed customizations from the manufacturer for our sets).

Some of our parts are made to our design/spec by others (ends, frames, springs, buttons, endbolts, strap screws, cases) which uses machinery (lasers, slicers, presses, milling machines, table saws and sanders etc.) though often we finish/complete the parts in various ways.

Most of the parts are totally made by us in our shop (action levers, action boards, padpans, chambers, pinky rests) using machinery (table saw and sanders, CNC router, drills, etc.). Some of our parts are made entirely by hand (pads, felt bushings, bellows) using hand tools (punches, knives, shears, skivers, jigs and presses, etc.)...

All the various and varied parts are completely assembled, tested, tuned and adjusted by hand in our shop.

So technically, some would say that our boxes are not entirely made by hand (without any machinery), yet most people would consider our boxes to be "hand-made".

-- Rich --

That's pretty much handmade to me. What do you make your bellows out of?

Lep

It's funny how I asked a couple of weeks ago what were the differences between a Suttner and a Dipper, and didnt get much answers to that and I was a bit mad... but now I realize it's nearly impossible to compare concertinas that are in the same "ball park". The best solution would be to try them all and decided which one you like, but it's not easy to end up doing that.

The best solution would be to try them all and decided which one you like, but it's not easy to end up doing that.

At least it's easy to try out Morses - we've got perusal instruments that we send out (but only to North American customers) and a generous returns policy.

A good way to compare boxes is to go to some concertina event. The two we host, the fall Northeast Squeeze-In and the spring Northeast Concertina Workshop, are good places to try many concertina makes.

Hmmm... that reminds me that both of those pages need updating. I've got a review of NESI with sound clips almost ready to go and all but one of the instructors for the NCW lined up and so can add more info to that page.

-- Rich --

It's funny how I asked a couple of weeks ago what were the differences between a Suttner and a Dipper, and didnt get much answers to that and I was a bit mad... but now I realize it's nearly impossible to compare concertinas that are in the same "ball park".

Excellent. It's always frustrating not being able to answer a question that's honestly meant but doesn't have an honest answer. You are quite right, of course.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
I'm looking into purchasing either an Edgley or a Tedrow concertina, but I'm not sure which one. The only concertina I've ever played or heard in person is a Rochelle, so I really have no idea about the subtle differences of these instruments.

Any suggestions or tips would be helpful. Any information would be great (i.e. differences in sound or response or what music they're best suited for playing).

I have a C/G Tedrow Standard and a G/D Edgley Professional - both are excellent, both would make anyone happy for the money and they both have their pros and cons. Both vary a little from the standard "traditional design" - hex bolts on the tedrow and unusual, but ergonomic handles, and generally traditional looks on the edgley but with off centre screws. Both are individual maker's attempts to improve on things - I find the hex bolts great for the very occasional tinkering I've had to do.

The Tedrow is lighter, but then the reeds are smaller and it is wooden ended. As a result it feels a little quicker, but it is only a six fold bellows, whereas the Edgely is a seven fold and comes in more handy for singing.

In general either box would be better than a bog standard lachenal in terms of developing your own playing.

Morse's are also great, and very fast and very light, though having had a reed foul on one of my boxes I had an easy repair that would have been harder with waxed in reeds. Norman's are good too, but harder to find examples of.

If you ahve any specific comparison questions, send me a private message and I'll try and answer.