Just Discovered That Old Concertina I Bought At A Junk Store Is A C Je

but is it just junk?

I've had this kicking around in my storage for the past 12 years and the other day thought I should look into it's background.

Can ayone help with a first impression?

Thanks Graham

post-7172-1224548576_thumb.jpgpost-7172-1224548588_thumb.jpgpost-7172-1224554843_thumb.jpg

post-7172-1224554871_thumb.jpgpost-7172-1224548477_thumb.jpg

Edited by jgcoutts

but is it just junk?

I've had this kicking around in my storage for the past 12 years and the other day thought I should look into it's background.

Thanks Graham

My guess is that's a Jeffries (ya think), that's missing a few buttons, has rather rusty reeds, missing some screws, and could need a bunch of work to get it to playable condition.

My gut feeling is you came to the right place. However, if you think you may have some expensive gonna-make-ya-rich on the Antiques Roadshow item, you probably don't have the right thing for that. Ming vase it isn't, but there are people who would love to take an old instrument like that, restore it, and play it! Just shooting from the hip here, but it'd probably take at least $1k+ to restore it depending on what's wrong. Figure if you personally restored it, or sent it away to be restored, you'd have something worth more than it is now... but that's a lot of time.

Someone may make an offer for it, if you're willing to sell. Personally, I love to see older instruments (dunno the age on this one myself) become loved and played instruments, rather than just languish in a junk store somewhere. Good luck!

You didn't mention where you live, perhaps someone who is local to you might like to take a look at it?

Patrick

Edited by Dieppe

It's definitely not junk.

Does it work well enough for you to be able to tell whether each button gives the same note or different notes upon pushing or pulling the bellows? If the notes are different on push and pull, it's an Anglo concertina (or badly out or tune). Jeffries Anglo concertinas are highly desirable instruments, even if in need of serious restoration work, though a 45-button like this one might not find as many potential buyers as a 30 or 38 due to the extra weight. On the other hand, if the notes are the same on push and pull it's a Jeffries duet, still most likely a very well-made instrument but less desirable because few people play that system.

but is it just junk?

Thanks Graham

See! I knew someone might know more! Either way that does have the potential to be a gorgeous instrument.. but could be a aways from being it. I'd be hesitant about the rusty reeds, but hasn't someone said that reeds with a little bit of rust usually aren't a problem?

(No problems with rust on my brass reeds... ;) )

Patrick

I'd be hesitant about the rusty reeds, but hasn't someone said that reeds with a little bit of rust usually aren't a problem?

Many of the reeds appear to have considerably *more* than "just a little bit of rust". Usually the rustiest ones are the ones that are played most often, and looks like the box was played extensively in a very high-smoke environment.

You can get a good idea of how much it would cost to have restored by querying at the Button Box about it though the range may be daunting as there are so many variables. For instance, someone who just wants to get it going probably would have basic hardware and straps added plus revalve and tune. Others may want new pads bushings and felts too. And then there are those that would want the worst rusted reeds replaced with good Jeffries original reeds, a new bellows and perhaps the gold tooling that would be a mark of one of Jeffries top instruments.

I suggest that if you want to play it - get it fixed up at least minimally. If you want it to go to a good home and be loved and played by someone else - sell it as-is which will let the new owner decide how they'd like it to be fixed up. Selling here on concertina.net is a good way to go as there are so many players here. EBay is also a possibility though a bit of work and less definite outcome.

-- Rich --

Does it work well enough for you to be able to tell whether each button gives the same note or different notes upon pushing or pulling the bellows? If the notes are different on push and pull, it's an Anglo concertina (or badly out or tune).

It does work so I'll give this a try.

Another poster mentioned that the key as an important factor, would anyone be able to help explain how to determine this?

Edited by jgcoutts

First figure out if it's a duet or an Anglo, then we can discuss key (and the related issue of whether it's in old or modern pitch).

Someone earlier had the good suggestion of taking it to a local expert. Where are you located?

Does it work well enough for you to be able to tell whether each button gives the same note or different notes upon pushing or pulling the bellows? If the notes are different on push and pull, it's an Anglo concertina (or badly out or tune).

It does work so I'll give this a try.

Another poster mentioned that the key as an important factor, would anyone be able to help explain how to determine this?

First figure out if it's a duet or an Anglo, then we can discuss key (and the related issue of whether it's in old or modern pitch).

Someone earlier had the good suggestion of taking it to a local expert. Where are you located?

I'm in Vancouver, not a lot of experts listed in the yellow pages.

There are a fair number of players in Seattle, and an expert if you wanted to cross the mountains in Spokane.

Depending on how the US Presidential race ends up, you may have a few more Experts moving to Vancouver.. ;)

Yes it does play two different notes on push and pull, one button sounds like an English police car siren from the 60's

Then it's almost certainly an Anglo. The weird button may be a novelty button of some kind -- I think that they may have been intended for use by vaudeville/music hall performers.

Now to determine the key...I haven't seen a 45-button Jeffries layout posted online. The closest I can find is a 38-button layout at http://www.lovesong.com/people/keshlam/jeffries.html. I would expect that these 38 buttons would be a subset of your 45. If you can find them on your concertina and they match the ones in this diagram, you've got a C/G. If they're one full step below, it's a Bb/F. Two full steps below, it's an Ab/Eb. A half-step past that, a G/D. Those are the most common possibilities, especially C/G and Bb/F.

An additional complication is old pitch vs. modern pitch. If the concertina is more or less in tune with itself but the notes don't quite match any notes on a modern scale, it may be in an old pitch.

If you can get this to Wim Wakker near Spokane (see http://www.concertinaconnection.com/contact.htm) he can probably give you a quote for whatever restoration work it might need. It will probably be well into the hundreds of dollars and possibly more -- but I would guess that the concertina could easily fetch $5000+ in good playing condition.

There are probably Anglo players in or near Vancouver who could look at it too, just to confirm the key, the pitch and the fact that it's an Anglo. There are certainly several in Seattle, as mentioned earlier. If no one comes forward here you might be able to contact someone via http://www.frappr.com/concertinaplayers.

Yes it does play two different notes on push and pull, one button sounds like an English police car siren from the 60's

I found a 45 button key chart at http://www.concertina.info/odds/kilroy/ posted by Chris Timson who is selling a beautiful looking instrument on the buy/sell forum. However his instrument shows model information stamped into the the end plates that mine does not have and filigree different from mine as well.

As for the fingering, for what its worth, I do get a scale when playing the second row of buttons down from the top(when the maker mark is up) on the right hand begining with the first button D/E going left to right F#/G, A/B, C/D

Graham

Edited by jgcoutts