Multi Talented....

LDT

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was never able to avoid a "click" with even moderate nails--despite varying my attack. But maybe I have a more aggressive attack, generally. I play upright, mostly.

(Perhaps I should mention concertina to steer the discussion back on topic.. :rolleyes: )

• 1 month later...
Certainly, the Jeffries Duet was explained to me, by Gavin Atkin (some 20+ years ago) as being "like the middle row of an Anglo expanded onto two separate rows" (can't remember his exact wording). I didn't get it at the time, and could not even play a scale on the Jeffries.

I think it would have been something like this:

'It's like having the C row of the anglo made into two rows with notes that are the same both ways - the scale goes in a zig-zag until you get this B flat here. Then the black notes are here, the high notes here and here, and the low notes here and here. It all makes sense until you go off the zig-zag scale, but that doesn't matter so much because you can still learn it in pretty much the same way that a guitar player learns all those shapes.'

I like to think that the demonstration that goes with these words is useful and understandable, but maybe it isn't ;-)

To answer the question, I sing, and play fiddle, guitar and mandolin, though not at the same time. If I'd had some money as a student I might have taken up the Northumbrian pipes as well. If I hadn't taken up the duet, I think I'd have chosen the British button accordion.

Gav

mouth organ ,fiddle, melodeon,mandolin, bouzouki, whistle, concert flute, guitar, now Anglo has taken over but I still try to play the others to keep my hand in. I just like the challenges and opportunities afforded by various instruments. I have been told 'you should stick to one instrument or you'll be a jack of all trades and master of none', but I'm not in it to 'master' the instrument (That's like'conquering Everest' ), just enough to play for my own satisfaction or to play along with others without messing things up!

Fiddle (main instrument), bit of tenor banjo, bit of guitar and bit of tin whistle. To post to the original topic. Not sure about the talent though.

Now I wonder If I know you Snorre ?? ;)

hmmmm......Merry Xmas Mr C.! :D

Edited by Snorre

• 2 weeks later...

I have not yet contributed to this thread...

So, as for me :

Piano (classic & jazz)

Tin whistle (presently susato, a Jacky Proux on order)

Low whistle (Bleazey)

Guitar (but not what I do best)

And of course concertina (presently a "poor" stagi, and counting days

untill the moment when my beloved Wheatstone comes back from renovation !)

And among the intruments hung on my wall :

A fiddle (inherited from my grand-grandfather and to be restored someday)

A trombone from Red Army (bought in moscow in 1990 for about 10€ at that time;

eventually converted into a lamp !)

Edited by david fabre

...A trombone from Red Army (bought in moscow in 1990 for about 10€ at that time;

Which brings to mind the picture I've seen somewhere of a Wagner tuba converted into a gents urinal :( :o :huh: :blink: <_< .

Samantha

...A trombone from Red Army (bought in moscow in 1990 for about 10€ at that time;

Which brings to mind the picture I've seen somewhere of a Wagner tuba converted into a gents urinal :( :o :huh: :blink: <_< .

Samantha

Poor tuba ! at least my trombone has a noble function...