Multi Talented....

LDT

PS: I like you being schoolteacher. :P

Behave ;) 2 weeks is the shortest and 5years the longest its taken for me to be made a moderator on a forum. I have a skill for telling people what to do.

We've still got several guitars, clarinet, mandola etc. around that the children were into but I'm happiest with the Anglo

I'm still pondering a Midi concertina some time:)

Midi?

...so stop fighting and get back to the question in hand. :angry:

Sheesh...I was enjoying the suberted thread..

fjb

Detention for you. ;)

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Midi concertina.

An electronic keyboard magically transformed into the outward appeaance of a concertina. :ph34r: :o

For further details await a posting from Chris Timpson who has one:)

Robin Madge

Sounds cool. An electric concertina (like an electric guitar) then?

Midi concertina.

An electronic keyboard magically transformed into the outward appeaance of a concertina. :ph34r: :o

Robin Madge

That's why I suggested one for playing the Dr Who theme. You didn't ask ME what one was. I shall go off in a huff now... :P

Midi concertina.

Robin Madge

That's why I suggested one for playing the Dr Who theme. You didn't ask ME what one was. I shall go off in a huff now... :P

Ah...I did mean to ask that...but got distracted by other threads....and rather than asking the same question twice asked it in the instrument thread. ;)

I keep reading in various thread people mentioning other musical instruments...so how many other than the concertina can you play and what are they?

Talented lot you all are. :)

The proof of the pudding's in the eating! ;)

7.gif Concertina

7.gif Fiddle {& Concertina}

7.gif Mandolin & Tenor Banjo

7.gif Hammered Dulcimer

Of course I'm not talented :rolleyes: I have just spent a lot of time playing music over the years & I really enjoy learning new tunes & new instruments.

LDT, I reckon a combination of interest, enthusiasm & dedication will give results, every time, but then that's probably a topic for another thread ... ;) .

Cheers

Dick

Edited by Ptarmigan

The proof of the pudding's in the eating!

In which case this is me playing the bass guitar with my brother on lead guitar and my friends dad on rythm guitar.

http://www.soundlantern.com/UpdatedSoundPa...6&Path=null

I'd only picked up the instrument about 3 hours before this was recorded

and me attempting the recorder

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v28/imbo...t=practice1.flv

Edited by LDT

Midi concertina.

Robin Madge

No, it's not like an electric guitar, where you pick up the real vibration of the string. It's like a keyboard/synthesizer. You press a key and the microprocessor inside sends the stored sound signal of a flute, organ or -- concertina to the loudspeakers. But it's arranged in a concertina box.

I've seen your recorder video. :lol:

Well, than I, too, play the recorder. I did even participate in a flute quartett in secondary school (or what it might be called in English). There I also played French horn for some years (and we had two alphorns too!). :)

Mistress, I hope you see I try to remain on topic! ;)

Sebastian

...so stop fighting and get back to the question in hand. :angry:

Sheesh...I was enjoying the suberted thread..

fjb

Detention for you. ;)

Yes, I have lots of detention around my neck and shoulders from so much fiddling.

fjb

Edited by fiddlerjoebob

Moutache and mouthorgan can produce howls of pain.

It can also result in a hair stuck in a reed producing silence at a crucial moment :o

As well as "moothie" I have

Flute (simple system)

Several Whistles

Recorders ranging in size from Sopranino to Contrabass

Anglo Concertina

I have tried piano and guitar in the past and couldn't get on with either.

All in all, I am enjoying my retirement. I don't understand how I found time to fit work in back in those days :P

Geoff

Grew up playing piano (12 years of classical training, including music theory)

Also grew up singing in every school chorus/madrigal group, through university (chapel choir, Gilbert & Sullivan society)

Picked up guitar at 11

Banjo at 21

Autoharp (first at 20 or so, then again more seriously a few years ago)

I can also dabble in, but don't really play dulcimer (though I still have one Tam Kearney made for me).

At one time or another I've also tried mandolin, fiddle, bouzouki, flute, but I really don't have the "feel" for these instruments, and given that I have much better feel for others I have no motivation to try to take them up seriously. If I'm not going to be able to perform in public with it my energies are better spent on instruments I *can* perform with.

The claim that hard work is all you need is ridiculous. No amount of hard work would have made my father anything but tone-deaf. No amount of hard work will make some of my friends even competent. Yes, I absolutely believe that hard work makes a huge difference to anything and everything - there's research I've read that suggests that a talent for practicing is the key to succeeding at the top levels of sport, music, whatever. But if you haven't got some natural talent to begin with all the practicing in the world won't make up for it. And, if you haven't got some basic talent even if you do try to put in the hard work you won't get the rewards (improvement) needed to bolster the motivation to keep going with the practicing.

That said, it is certainly true that one of my friends, a professional musician, has practiced hard every day for 30 years. This is someone who can't automatically sing back a tune after she hears it once or figure out chords on the fly. But by working seriously at her craft she's made herself into a pretty damn good exponent of the instrument or two she plays most. If I worked that hard I'd be phenomenal. Unfortunately, I have just enough talent to make me lazy.

wg

In order of taking them up

Grew up in Irish family in Manchester listening and singing ( born 1939)

Fiddle age 6 at school, gave up because of local bully who threw it off a railway bridge! Started again aged 55 still reckon it's the one I would love to play well

Mouth Organ age 9 after cub camp, still play it as second nature although I drove everyone mad learning it as a kid

Guitar, age 15 with Skiffle craze in the 50s only ever got to 3 chord trick still use it but never aspired after hearing Carthy, Renbourn, Jansch, doing too much climbing to bother practising, sang unaccompanied

Tin whistle, jew's harp, wooden flute, mandoilin, bouzouki when session scene in Sheffield took off after Bothy Band etc

Melodeon in 1970s when joined Morris and Ceilidh Band (Most proficient after mouthorgan)

Anglo 1990s when I had a few bob after I got my pension lump sum!

Always picking up an instrument to allow me to play communally or in bands, whatever was going on in the local scene. Making music was more important than learning an instrument or any particular style, I'm quite open to any music.

I've applied myself more rigorously to the Anglo than anything else and it's led to learning ABC and to reading the dots an understanding modes, keys etc

Still fancy the Irish Pipes but I reckon time's running out, 69 this December! but I might borrow some to see.

I've always played by ear and rhythm first and foremost and constantly have tunes going round my head. On average play about 3 hours per day now I don't have to work and bring up 5 sons. That's about the time I put in as a kid and a young teen when I had no responsibilities!

Still fancy the Irish Pipes but I reckon time's running out, 69 this December! but I might borrow some to see.

Mike, that's a horror story about the fiddle. Luckily things have changed a lot since those good old days ;) & being able to play an instrument at school is now more likely to be regarded as cool.

??? By the way, are you planning to borrow some TIME or a Set of Pipes? ;) :lol:

But seriously, if I were you I would go for it.

Here's a YouTube, taken at a beginners Piping class, just two weeks ago up in Edzell, Angus.

OK they're learning Scottish Smallpipes not Uilleann, but the point is, there are no spring chickens shall we say, in that group of aspiring pipers & although they'll never become champions I'm sure they're all having great fun.

Good Luck!

Cheers

Dick

I play Anglo..........Marcus Butler G/D

English Button Melodeon. I've got two pokerworks G/D and C/G and a new Hohner Morgane G/D

Welsh bagpipes in D

Hummelchen bagpipes also in D

Recorder.

Harmonica.

Piano (badly)

Guitar (also badly)

And my advice to any young person is:- This is not a good idea.

If I had concentrated on just one instrument and tried to play it well I would be a far better musician than I am now.

Also.....carrying all the kit is becoming a real trial. I play for local Morris sides and that usually means Anglo, Melodeon and one set of pipes.....possibly a recorder as well.

Phil