Wheatstone Aeola 56 Key Tenor-treble ~ £1,800

Ptarmigan

A Wheatstone Aeola 56 Key Tenor-Treble just sold for £1,800!

Was that a bargain or what?

Wheatstone Aeola 56 Key Tenor-Treble

I'll admit I'd have been tempted to bid myself, if I hadn't just bought a lovely Wheatstone #22.

Cheers

Dick

It appears to have been fitted for a neck strap and wrist straps. Make sure that one doesn't get away!

Was Chris saying that the ends had been replaced? In any case, proof that there are bargains out there. I'd love to hear it played. Mike

Edited by michaelpier

I'll know tomorrow, when it arrives. :)

wg

CONGRATULATIONS

5.gif

Wendy, if I hadn't just bought a beautiful Wheatstone Treble a couple of weeks ago, I'd have been fighting you for it! :lol:

I hope you'll both be very happy together. ;)

Cheers, Dick

Wendy, if I hadn't just bought a beautiful Wheatstone Treble a couple of weeks ago, I'd have been fighting you for it! :lol:

Cheers, Dick

And you'd have won. I was shocked to win it, because the bid I put in wasn't much over the final price. Of course, it's still only partway to the concertina I had that got stolen in the 1980s - a pristine Wheatstone 64-key baritone treble that I'd picked up for a ridiculously small amount of money when a guy found it in his attic and brought it into Dave Ferretta's music shop in Denver when I happened to be there. But I digress.

Thanks.

wg

Cheers, Dick

And you'd have won. I was shocked to win it, because the bid I put in wasn't much over the final price. Of course, it's still only partway to the concertina I had that got stolen in the 1980s - a pristine Wheatstone 64-key baritone treble that I'd picked up for a ridiculously small amount of money when a guy found it in his attic and brought it into Dave Ferretta's music shop in Denver when I happened to be there. But I digress.

Thanks.

wg

Wendy I am glad you did digress, for I am without doubt the only other person on this message board who spent time loafing and spending money at Dave's shop in the early 1970's.

Bob Tedrow

As a concertina-playing folkie who's also an IT professional, a subscriber to New Scientist and a reader of the Register and the Guardian, yours is a name I've encountered in a surprising number of contexts. Welcome to the forum!

Cheers,

Chris

Edited by Chris Timson

wg

Well Wendy, did it arrive?

Go on, please tell us how delighted you are with your new Concertina?

Better still, why not post a YouTube of you playing it? ;) B)

Cheers

Dick

Chris: how neat to find someone else who remembers Dave F and his shop. Lovely guy.

Dick: it's very good. The bellows are very tight, and the sound and playing action are excellent. A little trouble with the bottom C, which whuffles on pull - I must get inside it and find out what's doing that. I suspect the new pad.

It'll be a little while before I post any - more likely MP3s on my Web site than YouTube clips. I haven't played since my old one was stolen, so there's some relearning. Probably after Christmas - I'll have more time over the holidays to pull something together.

wg

(In the meantime, try Sir Patrick Spens at www.pelicancrossing.net/mp3s.htm to hear the one that was stolen.)

EDIT: whoops, it was Bob who knew Dave Ferretta. Chris is apparently a Constant Reader, for which I thank him.

Edited by Wendy M. Grossman

Chris: how neat to find someone else who remembers Dave F and his shop. Lovely guy.

Dick: it's very good. The bellows are very tight, and the sound and playing action are excellent. A little trouble with the bottom C, which whuffles on pull - I must get inside it and find out what's doing that. I suspect the new pad.

It'll be a little while before I post any - more likely MP3s on my Web site than YouTube clips. I haven't played since my old one was stolen, so there's some relearning. Probably after Christmas - I'll have more time over the holidays to pull something together.

wg

(In the meantime, try Sir Patrick Spens at www.pelicancrossing.net/mp3s.htm to hear the one that was stolen.)

I'm delighted to hear you are pleased with your new Concertina.

When you think about it though, if there is only one reed acting up, after it's long trip, that's not bad going really.

Who knows, maybe the bellows are full of money & that's what's causing the "whuffles" B)

I found your Sir Patrick Spens

I must say that's a very tasty track indeed. You have certainly have a beautiful voice & that old Concertina sounds brilliant on that track. I like it more & more, each time I listen to it.

Thanks for the link.

Just makes me yearn for a Tenor/Treble even more, for those lovely bass notes.

Ah well, maybe Mr Lotto will smile down on me this week! :rolleyes:

Cheers

Dick

Edited by Ptarmigan

Hello Wendy,

I found your site some time ago and downloaded the lot, very impressive it was too. Do you still have the Tama guitar? I bought mine in 1976 and treasure it to this day.

The Æola looks like a grand old workhorse and as the instrument of a professional will have been treated with the greatest of respect and 'tweaked' to be the best it could possibly be. It can never replace your lovely old Baritone/Treble but after so many years without playing it will still be a delightful revelation. It is after all an Æola and the property of a discerning player.

I wish you many hours of delightful playing as you rediscover the joys of the concertina.

Pete.

I'm so glad you were the one to win that Wheatstone - it would be such a lovely story if it wastn't so sad about your stolen Wheatstone!

I went and had a listen at your website as well and really enjoyed the clips. too.

Best,

Thanks, all.

Then today I see that a baritone-treble Aeola is listed on eBay. Argh.

An unknown (at least to me) seller, though. I'm glad I bought from Chris, whom one knows about and feels confident about trusting.

When I go back and listen to that particular track, I'm surprised how much better the playing sounds than I remember it. :)

wg