Photos Of Concertina Players In Scotland.

Ptarmigan

I spotted SEVEN Concertina players in this photo, from last year's 'Free Reed Convention in Aberdeen'.

< http://www.abdn.ac.uk/~wap001/events/butto...es/IMG_0544.jpg >

I wonder, did even more than that, turn up to this event?

If your interested, there's loads more photos from that event here:

< http://www.abdn.ac.uk/~wap001/events/buttonboxes/gallery/ >

Can anyone put names to those players?

Secondly, there are three great photos of Scottish Concertina players at the foot of this page ~

'Chapter 7 of "The Life and Times of The Concertina", highlights the Clyde Steamer Bands and Willie Smith who played the "Vital Spark" and "The Maggie" film music.'

< http://www.scribd.com/doc/1414895/Concerti...ck-Photos-Music >

One of Willie Smith of Greenock, taken in 1984 & another of Willie, back in 1964 with two other musicians, on the Clyde Steamer.

Further down, there's also an even earlier photo of three other musicians on the Clyde Steamer, including a Concertina player & a Concert Harp player ........ on a STEAMER! :blink:

Cheers

Dick

Walter (Wattie) Dale was a great player from Scotland he was featured recently on an Archive Recording site posted on Cnet.You will also find a medley of his Scottish tunes and a rare archive of Ernest Rutterford playing recollections of Scotland on English Int.

Al

Walter (Wattie) Dale was a great player from Scotland he was featured recently on an Archive Recording site posted on Cnet.You will also find a medley of his Scottish tunes and a rare archive of Ernest Rutterford playing recollections of Scotland on English Int.

Al

Thanks Alan,

I've just ordered that English Int. CD today, so I look forward to hearing all the Scottish tracks.

Cheers

Dick

I spotted SEVEN Concertina players in this photo, from last year's 'Free Reed Convention in Aberdeen'.

< http://www.abdn.ac.uk/~wap001/events/butto...es/IMG_0544.jpg >

I wonder, did even more than that, turn up to this event?

If your interested, there's loads more photos from that event here:

< http://www.abdn.ac.uk/~wap001/events/buttonboxes/gallery/ >

Can anyone put names to those players?

Dick

I can certainly put a name to one of the players - ie myself!

David Corner is in the picture as well, but I can't remember the names of the others at this particular workshop.

There were several other concertina players at the event (besides the guests), including at least 3 anglo players from Aberdeen, one from Gourock and a chap with a very fine Dickinson Wheatstone who played Swedish tunes. Theo Gibb was also on hand, selling and repairing and playing at the sessions

Alex West

David Corner is in the picture as well, but I can't remember the names of the others at this particular workshop.

There were several other concertina players at the event (besides the guests), including at least 3 anglo players from Aberdeen, one from Gourock and a chap with a very fine Dickinson Wheatstone who played Swedish tunes. Theo Gibb was also on hand, selling and repairing and playing at the sessions

Alex West

I'm the one in the rust shirt.

The only other concertina player in the photo that I can put a name to is Catherine Cruise (London) bottom right.

Jim Kane (Gourock) plays anglo, but in this workshop is playing melodeon.

I recognise the tin whistle player, but I can't remember his name.

That particular room had a balcony round it, hence the angle of the photograph.

I think that particular workshop was led by Simon Thoumire.

One of the other photos from the event has John McCourtney (Glasgow)

Also around at the weekend, although not at the workshops, were John Eaglesham and Gordon Hotchkiss.

Alex West

I'm the one in the rust shirt.

The only other concertina player in the photo that I can put a name to is Catherine Cruise (London) bottom right.

Jim Kane (Gourock) plays anglo, but in this workshop is playing melodeon.

I recognise the tin whistle player, but I can't remember his name.

That particular room had a balcony round it, hence the angle of the photograph.

I think that particular workshop was led by Simon Thoumire.

Also around at the weekend, although not at the workshops, were John Eaglesham and Gordon Hotchkiss.

That's very interesting David, thanks.

By the way, please excuse my ignorance but, what instrument does John McCourtney play?

Cheers

Dick

By the way, please excuse my ignorance but, what instrument does John McCourtney play?

Cheers

Dick

English concertina - another for your list!

There he is in this picture - three to my left.

And you get the back of Simon's head!

Cheers

Dick

English concertina - another for your list!

There he is in this picture - three to my left.

And you get the back of Simon's head!

Excellent! B)

Thanks David