English Concertina Players Who Play Scottish Music, In Scotland?

I note now that the list has become "Scottish players of the English concertina" whereas the thread Title is

"English Concertina Players Who Play Scottish Music, In Scotland?, "

There is some creeping potential confusion here. I am English, live in Scotland this last 20 years, play english concertina, play Scottish music. Seems now I and a few others shouldn't be on the list as now titled !

Perhaps "People who play english concertina in Scotland might work..."

noting the name Ian Munro on the list, I am assuming it is the same Ian Munro I know based in Kilmarnock, though I am open to correction on that point. If I am correct in the identification, Ian is an English exile playing some scottish music among lots of other stuff - on an ANGLO!

- John Wild

Thanks John,

Someone up in Glasgow, remembered that Ian had something to do with running a Concertina club, but he couldn't remember which system he played, so I just bunged his name on until someone spotted it, who could tell me which system he played.

Now we know. ;)

Cheers

Dick

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, with some 40 odd living English Concertina Players Who Play Scottish Music, In Scotland, now known to exist and listed, plus a few sadly no longer with us, methinks there is great potential for a boxed CD set, similar to AI and EI, entitled " English Concertina Players Who Play Scottish Music, In Scotland!" ;) Any volunteers to get this project rolling? Perhaps Wales can be next?

Chris

Well, with some 40 odd living English Concertina Players Who Play Scottish Music, In Scotland, now known to exist and listed, plus a few sadly no longer with us, methinks there is great potential for a boxed CD set, similar to AI and EI, entitled " English Concertina Players Who Play Scottish Music, In Scotland!" ;) Any volunteers to get this project rolling? Perhaps Wales can be next?

Chris

Hi Chris,

Well I, for one, would buy that CD. ;)

Mind you, I think it'd probably need a slightly snappier title, don't you ......maybe something like: ~

"Scottish Music on the English Concertina"

Cheers

Dick

P.S. OK So tell me, who's going to start that Welsh List then?

Re: CD of Scottish Concertina

The still developing www.raretunes.org online archive has been established to fill that gap and many more Scottish concertina tracks will be added over the coming months - note you can subscribe for feeds about new material added.

Dick - can I start a Dick Glasgow raretunes page? Contact me off piste.

Incidentally, I have just been involved in the production of a BBC Scotland TV prog which will feature two elderly (and trully oustanding) survivors of the golden age of Scottish concertina from the mid 20th century. I'll post broadcast details later.

Stuart

Re: CD of Scottish Concertina

The still developing www.raretunes.org online archive has been established to fill that gap and many more Scottish concertina tracks will be added over the coming months - note you can subscribe for feeds about new material added.

Dick - can I start a Dick Glasgow raretunes page? Contact me off piste.

Incidentally, I have just been involved in the production of a BBC Scotland TV prog which will feature two elderly (and trully oustanding) survivors of the golden age of Scottish concertina from the mid 20th century. I'll post broadcast details later.

Stuart

Aye Stuart, I think your raretunes online archive is a much more exciting project than a CD.

Let's face it, you could never get all you wanted on a CD, or even a box set, but the archive is alive, can keep on growing & probably has no limits.

As for my own raretunes page .......... :lol: :lol: :lol: Stuart, I don't know about off piste but I think you must be half~piste! :lol:

........ did you pour 'Grouse' over your Porridge this morning? :wacko:

Can't wait to see that BBC prog though.

Cheers

Dick

"note you can subscribe for feeds about new material added"

What a great resource! I looked around the website but couldn't find a way of subscribing for feeds about the new material...?

Thanks,

Chris

Or what about Scottish English concertina players playing English music in England? :huh: :lol:

- John Wild

Plus Bob Blair

But minus Ian Munroe { thanks Samantha}:

Ian Munro is still around in Kilmarnock and very kindly sent me loads of material which I am using for the Arran Concertina Events. I mine his multi-part music for our band sessions and share the other sheet music he has made available to me. Unfortunately he's not yet been able to attend the weekend in person ... I, too, believe him to be an Anglo player.

Samantha

So now we have << 42 >> active players on our list!

Any more ...........................................

English Concertina players in Scotland {42}:

Hamish Bayne,

Jack Bethel,

Bob Blair,

Stewart Brown,

Pamela Carr,

Norman Chalmers,

Selby Cochrane,

Simon Cooper,

David Corner,

Oscar St Cyr,

John Eaglesham,

Stuart Eydeman,

Archie Fisher,

John Gahagan,

Jean Graham,

George Haig,

Simon Harbord,

Gordon Hotchkiss,

Astryd Jamieson,

Nigel Jelks,

Joseph Kent,

John Leavy,

Iain MacDonald,

Tom Martin,

John McCourtney,

Tom McDermott,

Marta McGlynn,

Geordie McIntyre,

Brian McNeill,

Mike Penny,

Dave Richardson,

Derek Richardson,

Helen Ross,

Wendy Stewart,

Steve Sutcliffe,

Bob Thomas,

Simon Thoumire,

Erland Voy,

Ann Ward,

Tom Ward,

Frances Wilkins,

Alan Wright.

Not to be forgotten {4}:

Peter Hall,

Iain MacKintosh,

Mike Petrie,

Roy Williamson.

Edited by Ptarmigan

Or what about Scottish English concertina players playing English music in England? :huh: :lol:

- John Wild

And Scottish English concertina players playing Irish music in France?

.... with that title, I think you might be talking about a solo CD Ishtar. Oui? ;)

noting the name Ian Munro on the list, I am assuming it is the same Ian Munro I know based in Kilmarnock, though I am open to correction on that point. If I am correct in the identification, Ian is an English exile playing some scottish music among lots of other stuff - on an ANGLO!

- John Wild

Ian Munro is still around in Kilmarnock and very kindly sent me loads of material which I am using for the Arran Concertina Events. I mine his multi-part music for our band sessions and share the other sheet music he has made available to me. Unfortunately he's not yet been able to attend the weekend in person ... I, too, believe him to be an Anglo player.

Samantha

- John Wild

.... with that title, I think you might be talking about a solo CD Ishtar. Oui? ;)

Eek! :o

Come on over, we'll make it a duo. :)

- John Wild

Eek! :o

Come on over, we'll make it a duo. :)

Hmmmmmmmm ... with the wild & stormy gale force winds we're enjoying this morning, that's a very tempting idea.

Oh, but sorry, I just remembered .... I can only play a couple of tunes on the E. C. .... so the other 16 tracks would be down to you! :lol:

Cheers

Dick

- John Wild

Or even American English concertina players playing English music in Denmark? :rolleyes:

Chris

Sounds to me like yet another Solo CD Chris ... or maybe there are 40 of you, over there? ;)

Cheers

Dick

Or even American English concertina players playing English music in Denmark? :rolleyes:

Chris

Sounds to me like yet another Solo CD Chris ... or maybe there are 40 of you, over there? ;)

Cheers

Dick

Me, over there? Nah, I live in London. I were referring to that Jim Lucas fella who has so much talent, he could more than make up for 40 individual players. :lol:

Chris