English Concertina Players Who Play Scottish Music, In Scotland?

Latest Update!

It was my sad duty to move the name of late & much missed Jim Reid to the "Not to be forgotten" section of this list.

English Concertina players in Scotland {68}:

George Anderson ~ Kelso, Neil Bayfield ~ Aberdeenshire, Hamish Bayne ~ Orkney, Karen Beattie ~ West Lothian, Jack Bethel ~ Glasgow, Bob Blair ~ , Elspeth Brown ~, Glasgow, Stewart Brown ~ Dundee, Kenny Caird ~, Sass Campbell ~ Morayshire, Pamela Carr ~ Edinburgh, Norman Chalmers ~ Edinburgh, Robert Chalmers ~ Edinburgh, Joan Clifford ~ Borders, Selby Cochrane ~ , Simon Cooper ~ Edinburgh, David Corner ~ Dalkeith, Oscar St Cyr ~ , Peter Donald ~ Glasgow, Tom Donnelly ~ Glasgow, John Eaglesham ~ Glasgow, Stuart Eydmann ~ Edinburgh, Archie Fisher ~ Borders, Richard Forsyth ~ Edinburgh, Susannah Franks ~ Fife, John Gahagan ~ Glasgow, George Haig ~ Fife, Simon Harbord ~ , Gordon Haxton ~ Glasgow, Pete Heywood ~ Ayrshire, Gordon Hotchkiss ~ , Astryd Jamieson ~ Shetland, Nigel Jelks ~ Angus, Brian Johnstone ~ Glasgow, Alan Jones ~ East Kilbride, Katy Kiernan ~ West Lothian, John Leavy ~ Kincardineshire, Iain MacDonald ~ , Maggie Macrae ~ Glasgow, Tom Martin ~ , Gary Mahon ~, Duncan McLennan ~, Susan McClure ~ Dunblane, John McCourtney ~ Glasgow, Tom McDermott ~ Ayrshire, Marta McGlynn ~ , Geordie McIntyre ~ Dunblane, Duncan McLennan ~ Inverness, Brian McNeill ~ , Cameron Miller ~ Glasgow, Drew Moyes ~ Glasgow, Mike Penny ~ , Dave Richardson ~ , Derek Richardson ~ Perthshire, Helen Ross ~ Stirling, Alison Shepard ~ Edinburgh, Wendy Stewart ~ Dumfries, Steve Sutcliffe ~ , Bob Thomas ~ , Dave Thomas ~ Morayshire, Sally Thomas ~ East Lothian, Simon Thoumire ~ Edinburgh, Dick Trickie ~ Aberdeenshire, Erland Voy ~ , Ann Ward ~ Edinburgh, Tom Ward ~ Edinburgh, Frances Wilkins ~ Aberdeen, Alan Wright ~ Kilmarnock

Scottish players not resident {3}:

Dick Glasgow ~ Co Antrim, Jean Graham ~ France, Jack Beck ~ Virginia, U.S.A.

Not to be forgotten {10}:

Mike Berry, Archie Frame, Peter Hall, David Haxton, Rev. Gordon Jones, Joseph Kent, Iain MacKintosh, Mike Petrie, Jim Reid & Roy Williamson.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to welcome Foss Foster of Banff to the List!

English Concertina players in Scotland {69}:

George Anderson ~ Kelso, Neil Bayfield ~ Aberdeenshire, Hamish Bayne ~ Orkney, Karen Beattie ~ West Lothian, Jack Bethel ~ Glasgow, Bob Blair ~ , Elspeth Brown ~, Glasgow, Stewart Brown ~ Dundee, Kenny Caird ~, Sass Campbell ~ Morayshire, Pamela Carr ~ Edinburgh, Norman Chalmers ~ Edinburgh, Robert Chalmers ~ Edinburgh, Joan Clifford ~ Borders, Selby Cochrane ~ , Simon Cooper ~ Edinburgh, David Corner ~ Dalkeith, Oscar St Cyr ~ , Peter Donald ~ Glasgow, Tom Donnelly ~ Glasgow, John Eaglesham ~ Glasgow, Stuart Eydmann ~ Edinburgh, Archie Fisher ~ Borders, Richard Forsyth ~ Edinburgh, Foss Foster ~ Banff, Susannah Franks ~ Fife, John Gahagan ~ Glasgow, George Haig ~ Fife, Simon Harbord ~ , Gordon Haxton ~ Glasgow, Pete Heywood ~ Ayrshire, Gordon Hotchkiss ~ , Astryd Jamieson ~ Shetland, Nigel Jelks ~ Angus, Brian Johnstone ~ Glasgow, Alan Jones ~ East Kilbride, Katy Kiernan ~ West Lothian, John Leavy ~ Kincardineshire, Iain MacDonald ~ , Maggie Macrae ~ Glasgow, Tom Martin ~ , Gary Mahon ~, Duncan McLennan ~, Susan McClure ~ Dunblane, John McCourtney ~ Glasgow, Tom McDermott ~ Ayrshire, Marta McGlynn ~ , Geordie McIntyre ~ Dunblane, Duncan McLennan ~ Inverness, Brian McNeill ~ , Cameron Miller ~ Glasgow, Drew Moyes ~ Glasgow, Mike Penny ~ , Dave Richardson ~ , Derek Richardson ~ Perthshire, Helen Ross ~ Stirling, Alison Shepard ~ Edinburgh, Wendy Stewart ~ Dumfries, Steve Sutcliffe ~ , Bob Thomas ~ , Dave Thomas ~ Morayshire, Sally Thomas ~ East Lothian, Simon Thoumire ~ Edinburgh, Dick Trickie ~ Aberdeenshire, Erland Voy ~ , Ann Ward ~ Edinburgh, Tom Ward ~ Edinburgh, Frances Wilkins ~ Aberdeen, Alan Wright ~ Kilmarnock

Scottish players not resident {3}:

Dick Glasgow ~ Co Antrim, Jean Graham ~ France, Jack Beck ~ Virginia, U.S.A.

Mike Berry, Archie Frame, Peter Hall, David Haxton, Rev. Gordon Jones, Joseph Kent, Iain MacKintosh, Mike Petrie, Jim Reid & Roy Williamson.

Great bit of reseacrh Dick.smile.gif

Yes Michael, I find the results really fascinating.

Who would have thought there were so many English Concertinas being played in Scotland.

Interestingly, I also just learned that Frances is actually giging around Ireland right now, spreading the musical gospel, according to Charlie Wheatstone! B)

Cheers

Dick

Is there something about Scotish fiddle tune that leads to the piano accordion or button box and the EC or is just smile.gif the fact of the A key?

Michael, I personally don't think of A as being a particularly inviting key on the PA or EC.

On the other hand, if Scottish Music was all in C & F, then I could see the point, but I think it has more to do with the fact that the music is simply brilliant! B)

At this stage, just as the Anglo sounds like it was made for Irish Music, so, to my ears at least, Scottish Music sounds right at home on the English Concertina. :)

Cheers

Dick

I personally don't think of A as being a particularly inviting key on the PA or EC.

I found recently that, at least in the upper octave, A falls under the fingers rather well on EC. A consistent pattern of accidentals (C# G# on the right and F# C# on the left) makes that key easy. I do still have a bit of a problem with the low C# on the left hand though.

Similarly Gm and Bb are reasonably easy keys to finger in the middle range of the instrument because of the consistency of the pattern of accidentals.

Edited by Larry Stout

I personally don't think of A as being a particularly inviting key on the PA or EC.

Well, I certainly don't find it
un
inviting.

I don't find tunes in A any more difficult or enjoyable than tunes in other keys.

I found recently that, at least in the upper octave, A falls under the fingers rather well on EC. A consistent pattern of accidentals (C# G# on the right and F# C# on the left) makes that key easy. I do still have a bit of a problem with the low C# on the left hand though.

The more you play tunes that have that note (or any note or sequence of notes, for that matter), the easier they should become.

Similarly Gm and Bb are reasonably easy keys to finger in the middle range of the instrument because of the consistency of the pattern of accidentals.

The pattern is perfectly consistent from top to bottom, not just in the middle.

And even the keys that don't fit "the pattern" because of accidentals that have to be played as enharmonics (i.e., Db as C#, A# as Bb, etc.) have their own patterns, which are quite simple and consistent, and easy to get used to if you practice them.

Thanks, I must check that out Larry.

Bit squeeky perhaps on my TT, but might be just what the doctor ordered on my Baritone. B)

Cheers

Dick

"Well, I certainly don't find it uninviting.

I don't find tunes in A any more difficult or enjoyable than tunes in other keys."

I stand corrected Jim, clearly more work & practice are required by me! ;)

Cheers

Dick

• 5 months later...

A kind gentleman just sent me this link:

Press & Journal: Kirriemuir music festival hailed a success

The Results section mentions: ConcertinaBelinda MacLaren, Lennoxtown

So can anyone here tell me, which system she plays?

I'm afraid I can't help - I was still playing in George Rennie's shop at the time of the competition.

I didn't see any unrecognised concertina players in action in the places I was in over the weekend.

There was someone who came into the shop for a short while, and joined in the music on something else (fiddle, if I remember correctly).

She did have a case which looked concertina sized, but I didn't inquire further.

PS The online version doesn't have the photo which appeared in the actual newspaper, or at least the Angus edition.

It's always a surprise to see yourself in the newspaper.

Hi folks

You could add me to the "Scottish players not resident" section, I guess (Geoff Caplan, Devon)

Playing quite a lot these days: there's a lively session scene here. Its very eclectic, as you'd expect, but I still manage to play a good deal of Scots stuff.

Though when I headed south I never expected to be playing a St George's Day gig in front of a huge St George's Cross (but even then we managed to sneak in a few Scotch tunes..)

By the way, ECs don't have the same rarity value down here: I'm often in local session with 3 or 4 others and a couple of Anglos to boot. Darn it - who wants to be common? Add in all the !@?@ melodeons and the odd accordion and the average Devon musical soiree can be just a wee bit heavy on the free reeds...

Edited by gcaplan

Hi folks

You could add me to the "Scottish players not resident" section, I guess (Geoff Caplan, Devon)

Thanks Geoff. ;)

English Concertina players in Scotland {69}:

George Anderson ~ Kelso, Neil Bayfield ~ Aberdeenshire, Hamish Bayne ~ Orkney, Karen Beattie ~ West Lothian, Jack Bethel ~ Glasgow, Bob Blair ~ , Elspeth Brown ~, Glasgow, Stewart Brown ~ Dundee, Kenny Caird ~, Sass Campbell ~ Morayshire, Pamela Carr ~ Edinburgh, Norman Chalmers ~ Edinburgh, Robert Chalmers ~ Edinburgh, Joan Clifford ~ Borders, Selby Cochrane ~ , Simon Cooper ~ Edinburgh, David Corner ~ Dalkeith, Oscar St Cyr ~ , Peter Donald ~ Glasgow, Tom Donnelly ~ Glasgow, John Eaglesham ~ Glasgow, Stuart Eydmann ~ Edinburgh, Archie Fisher ~ Borders, Richard Forsyth ~ Edinburgh, Foss Foster ~ Banff, Susannah Franks ~ Fife, John Gahagan ~ Glasgow, George Haig ~ Fife, Simon Harbord ~ , Gordon Haxton ~ Glasgow, Pete Heywood ~ Ayrshire, Gordon Hotchkiss ~ , Astryd Jamieson ~ Shetland, Nigel Jelks ~ Angus, Brian Johnstone ~ Glasgow, Alan Jones ~ East Kilbride, Katy Kiernan ~ West Lothian, John Leavy ~ Kincardineshire, Iain MacDonald ~ , Maggie Macrae ~ Glasgow, Tom Martin ~ , Gary Mahon ~, Duncan McLennan ~, Susan McClure ~ Dunblane, John McCourtney ~ Glasgow, Tom McDermott ~ Ayrshire, Marta McGlynn ~ , Geordie McIntyre ~ Dunblane, Duncan McLennan ~ Inverness, Brian McNeill ~ , Cameron Miller ~ Glasgow, Drew Moyes ~ Glasgow, Mike Penny ~ , Dave Richardson ~ , Derek Richardson ~ Perthshire, Helen Ross ~ Stirling, Alison Shepard ~ Edinburgh, Wendy Stewart ~ Dumfries, Steve Sutcliffe ~ , Bob Thomas ~ , Dave Thomas ~ Morayshire, Sally Thomas ~ East Lothian, Simon Thoumire ~ Edinburgh, Dick Trickie ~ Aberdeenshire, Erland Voy ~ , Ann Ward ~ Edinburgh, Tom Ward ~ Edinburgh, Frances Wilkins ~ Aberdeen, Alan Wright ~ Kilmarnock

Scottish players not resident {4}:

Dick Glasgow ~ Co Antrim, Jean Graham ~ France, Jack Beck ~ Virginia, U.S.A, Geoff Caplan, Devon.

In Edinburgh last year we made Sandy Bells our pub. There was a gentleman there who played a Lachanel and was very good.

Anyone can identify yourself or who this is?

rss

Hi Randy,

Perhaps it was one of these:

Anglo Concertina players in Scotland ~ The List

Gary Brough ~ Stonehaven

Dave Broughton ~ Caithness

Paddy Callaghan ~ Glasgow

Christopher Campbell ~ ?

Simon Cooper ~ Edinburgh

Nigel Gatherer ~ Perthshire

Willie Haines ~ Edinburgh

Wallace Lockhart ~ Linlithgow