Tune Suggestions For Battle Of Trafalgar Day

Bill N

This colonial is seeking advice from the mother country (or anyone else, for that matter). I have been asked by the local historical society to play a few tunes for their annual Battle of Trafalgar Day celebrations. (I'm in Canada, but it's a port town with a Trafalgar Township, and this event goes way back!) My rendition of the theme from Gilligan's Island didn't pass muster :lol: Any other suggestions for the Anglo?

Edited by Bill N

I have been asked by the local historical society to play a few tunes for their annual Battle of Trafalgar Day celebrations.

Hi Bill,

One tune which I've "borrowed" from the band "Brass Monkey" was written by the late Howard Evans. He wrote it to accompany Thomas Hardy's "The Night of Trafalgar" from "The Dynasts".

It's getting a bit late, but I'll record/upload a video for you. I'll record tonight, but will probably upload tomorrow.

Good luck!

Regards,

Peter.

"The Night of Trafalgar"

Here it is, played in C on a C/G Anglo:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2CUVuT6H1rA&...38&index=20

I note from another thread that you were enquiring about G/D "accidentals". So; if you currently play a G/D, my fingering will come out in G. Note; my instrument has 36 keys + drone, so ignore the top button in each row.

If this tune is suitable for you, I could record it at a slower tempo, if that would help.

Regards,

Peter.

"The Night of Trafalgar"

Here it is, played in C on a C/G Anglo:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2CUVuT6H1rA&...38&index=20

I note from another thread that you were enquiring about G/D "accidentals". So; if you currently play a G/D, my fingering will come out in G. Note; my instrument has 36 keys + drone, so ignore the top button in each row.

If this tune is suitable for you, I could record it at a slower tempo, if that would help.

Regards,

Peter.

Thanks Peter. A great tune, and in a style of playing that I admire and aspire to. I will be playing on my Rochelle (the GD is on order). I have a diigital recorder that I can use to slow the recording down without changing the pitch, so should be OK. I did learn a couple of nautical tunes in Newfoundland this summer, which will round out the programme, but this will definitely be the centrepiece if I can learn it in time.

The note that runs continuously through the pushes and pulls is the drone?

The Bronte Historical Society thanks you!

This colonial is seeking advice from the mother country (or anyone else, for that matter). I have been asked by the local historical society to play a few tunes for their annual Battle of Trafalgar Day celebrations. (I'm in Canada, but it's a port town with a Trafalgar Township, and this event goes way back!) My rendition of the theme from Gilligan's Island didn't pass muster :lol: Any other suggestions for the Anglo?

Bill,

One that comes to mind is the Trafalgar Hornpipe, which is one of the tunes we play at our English Session down here in Texas. If you go to our session website and download 'The Tunes' you will find it; there is also an ABC version. We've been playing that one here for several decades; a wonderful old time local Texas fiddler by the name of Bill Northcutt (sadly, now deceased) used to play the heck out of it. He played it like a reel (Texas fiddlers typically play everything like a reel!), so that's how we play it still, with no dots and hell bent for leather. The 'original' version for us was in Cole's Fiddle Tunes (also known as the Ryan's Mammoth Collection).

Our session website is at http://www.liestman.com/fishchips.htm , and meets first and third Wednesdays in Houston. If you get tired of fighting the snow this winter, come on down and join in.

Cheers,

Dan

The note that runs continuously through the pushes and pulls is the drone?

Hi Bill,

Yes; C drone. My attempt to "re-create" the full sound of a five piece line-up, including two brass instruments! :unsure:

Regards,

Peter.

Bill,

Music for Trafalgar Day? The name that immediately springs to mind is Carles Dibden, the songwriter who made Trafalgar and other victories possible by romanticising life in the Navy to such an extent that some men actually joined voluntarily! Dibden even received a government pension in recognition of his work. His "Tom Bowling" is one of these, about a handsome sailor who, "though his body's under hatches, his soul is gone aloft." I sing it G, playing it mainly along the G row of my C/G.

Then of course there are those patriotic songs that everybody in England knows, e.g. "Rule Britannia" or "Heart of Oak". I play both on the C-row, because they modulate to G.

Another good one is "Admiral Benbow", which is about a sea battle with the Froggies and their nasty chain-shot. (I play and sing it in C.)

I'd say all of the above are relevant to the Nelson period and to his great and tragic victory (Benbow gets mortally wounded in action in the song, too!). They're all well know, so it should be no trouble to dig them up somewhere, if you don't already know them.

Cheers,

John

A jolly tune that I've just learnt, "News of the Victory" - no idea what the name relates to though it sounds good!

Yes, it's a jolly nice dance tune, also known as 'Tars of the Victory', The Victory, was, of course, the name of Nelson's ship. Here is the ABC for it:

X: 1

T:The News of the Victory

M:6/8

L:1/8

K:G

|:D|d^cd d^cd|g2G G2B|ABc DEF|

GBd d2d|d^cd d^cd|g2G G2B|ABc DEF|

G2B G2:|

|:g|fed d2c|Bcd G2B|ABc DEF|

GBd d2g|fed d2c|Bcd G2B|ABc DEF|

G3G2:|

Chris

PS Ignore the smiley at the beginning. It should be a colon, followed by 'd' but the silly software interprets it as the code for a smiley!

Yes, it's a jolly nice dance tune, also known as 'Tars of the Victory', The Victory, was, of course, the name of Nelson's ship. Here is the ABC for it:

PS Ignore the smiley at the beginning. It should be a colon, followed by 'd' but the silly software interprets it as the code for a smiley!

Excellent - thanks for the info. Should be good for Trafalgar day then.

(All "jolly" tunes need smileys :lol: )

Chris, if you uncheck the box at the bottom of the post window that says 'Enable Emoticons' :D doesn't produce a smiley, thus:

Chris

Chris, if you uncheck the box at the bottom of the post window that says 'Enable Emoticons' :D doesn't produce a smiley, thus:

Chris

Thanks for the tip,Peter. :D First note should be :D rather than :D, however.

Chris

There is a Scottish Hornpipe by Neil Gow called "Admiral Nelson".

However, it's written in F.

How does that fit your Anglo?

In theory, it fits fine! (I've got a whole third row of buttons I hardly ever use. I think there might be a B flat or two up there :lol: ) I'm not sure I'll be able to find it and learn it before Sunday, but I'll add it to my list. As a former military historian and museum curator (Napoleonic era, albeit North American) I have a soft spot for Nelson. And who knows, I might be invited back next year!

In theory, it fits fine! (I've got a whole third row of buttons I hardly ever use. I think there might be a B flat or two up there :lol: ) I'm not sure I'll be able to find it and learn it before Sunday, but I'll add it to my list. As a former military historian and museum curator (Napoleonic era, albeit North American) I have a soft spot for Nelson. And who knows, I might be invited back next year!

I've put a copy of Admiral Nelson on the Tune-O-Tron.

For amusement, here's an alternative look at Trafalgar, the story of Gunner Joe.

No doubt the day has come and gone, but next year you might try this one....The Death of Nelson, with rousing lyrics, from a late 19th century tutor scored for 10 button German concertina, in C. You can add it to my other (unacknowledged <_< ) suggestion, the Trafalgar Hornpipe, , from Cole's Fiddle Tunes and in Ryan's Mammoth Collection of 1883.

No doubt the day has come and gone, but next year you might try this one....The Death of Nelson, with rousing lyrics, from a late 19th century tutor scored for 10 button German concertina, in C. You can add it to my other (unacknowledged <_< ) suggestion, the Trafalgar Hornpipe, , from Cole's Fiddle Tunes and in Ryan's Mammoth Collection of 1883.

Thank you very much for this Dan (and grovelling apologies for my poor netiquitte :( ). As it turned out, I was replaced in the programme by some "real" musicians! I think I was their Plan B all along. But I have really enjoyed all the suggestions. I will try your latest out on the C row of my Henry Harley, and the lyrics are great.

Despite being dumped by the Trafalgar committee, I did have my first public performance last night, playing for the Oakville Ale & Sword dancing the Ampleforth sword dance at a Ceilidh sponsored by the Hamilton Chapter, Royal Scottish Country Dance Society. I was a little jittery before hand, but once we got going it was a blast! Tunes played were Rakes of Mallow, Brighton Camp, Soldier's Joy and Drunken Sailor.