How To Keep A Specific Humidity Level For The Concertina...

I am soon getting my Dipper (crossing each day on the calendar as they pass) and I've been told the ideal humidity level for the instrument would be 55%.

My appartment is small, like 600 square foot, so humidifying the whole place, with a humidifier with electronic hygrometer, would be possible.

Is there a good way, maybe using some electronic device I don't know about, to keep the humidity level at a precise percentage *inside* the hard case? I know about some thingies you can put in cases for example for wooden flutes but you can't quite control the exact humidity level. It doesnt make much sense but who knows.

Too much humidity can cause rust.

So that's it, I'm wondering about what are my options. Thanks!

I am soon getting my Dipper (crossing each day on the calendar as they pass) and I've been told the ideal humidity level for the instrument would be 55%.

My appartment is small, like 600 square foot, so humidifying the whole place, with a humidifier with electronic hygrometer, would be possible.

Is there a good way, maybe using some electronic device I don't know about, to keep the humidity level at a precise percentage *inside* the hard case? I know about some thingies you can put in cases for example for wooden flutes but you can't quite control the exact humidity level. It doesnt make much sense but who knows.

Too much humidity can cause rust.

So that's it, I'm wondering about what are my options. Thanks!

One way of reducing humidity is by using a Silica Gel bag just put in the case.It is a bag of crystals that soak up moisture.Too much heat is also a major problem as it can dry out your bellows.I would imagine that unless your room is known to be damp I would think you have no problems.It is extremes that cause problems.Like Dave Prebble's Jeffries sinking to the bottom of the Manchester Ship Canal.

Al

Extremes are what we face in Montreal, Alan. In summer humidity levels are very high (often 80%+ ) and in winter very low - depending on your heating system, it can easily get as low as 10% inside the house. Which is no doubt why Az is looking for something to put in the case.

I used to keep a "Dampit" in my fiddle case - basically a sponge-filled rubber tube with holes in it. It came with a handy card that changed colour according to the humidity. Depending on what the card said you would soak the sponge, or wet it just a little, or not at all. Not very precise, but reassuring somehow - maybe using both sponge and silical gel as needed, with a mini electronic hygrometer in the case, would be a tad less low-tech.

What's the ideal level of humidity for a free-reed instrument? For fiddles, 50% is good.

What's the ideal level of humidity for a free-reed instrument? For fiddles, 50% is good.

Colin told me 55%, but I'm sure between 45% and 60% it's OK.

It just struck me that I live in a semi-basement and I could expect more humidity, maybe it's a good thing when it comes to winters, and maybe air conditionned once in a while at summer time would keep humidity level lower.

I definitely need a hygrometer.