First Time Traveler

I know it has been discussed ad nausium, but I just had to mention....

Took my baritone Anglo on a flight for the first time today, and yup, it was x-rayed back and forth, swabbed for explosives, and all my belonging were carefully searched (even had to dump my wallet).

Never been searched in any way on any previous flight.

NNY

Took my baritone Anglo on a flight for the first time today, and yup, it was x-rayed back and forth, swabbed for explosives, and all my belonging were carefully searched (even had to dump my wallet).

NNY

oh darn, I thought you were saying you were the first person to travel time or had discovered the individual.

pretty sure time travel stopped in 1972.

NNY

oh darn, I thought you were saying you were the first person to travel time or had discovered the individual.

You don't watch Dr Who?

I thought so too! :lol:

But when did it start? As far as I know, the first time-travel story was by H.G. Wells in his book "The Time Machine," written in 1895. Anyone know of earlier references?

Cheers,

John

As far as I know, the first time-travel story was by H.G. Wells in his book "The Time Machine," written in 1895. Anyone know of earlier references?

According to Wikipedia, there are at least a few. Here is another Wikipedia article with similar information.

In fact, according to a paper by Dan Worrall, it was Charles Wheatstone who invented the first time machine. However, some careless fan of his -- who also happened to play a cheap concertina -- travelled back in time in to learn what train of thought led Mr. W. to his invention. "Careless", I say, because he carelessly left his instrument lying in Wheatstone's shop on his return to his own time, and it was discovered by the inquisitive Charles. Fascinated by this bizarre contraption, CW experimented with the design, then began producing his own version for sale.

His attention never returned to the time machine, and so he didn't invent it after all. Instead, we now know him as the inventor of the "concertina". Among the many consequences of this careless foray into time travel -- a machine/vehicle for which is yet to be invented, -- Dan never wrote about time machines and time travel, after all. Instead, his superb writings are now about concertinas. And instead of taking a holiday trip back to 19th-century Oklahoma to visit my infant great-grandfather in a log cabin, I stay in my present present and carry a concertina with me nearly everywhere I go. ;)

Edited to correct a typo.

(Hey, is somebody messing with time, again?
:angry:
I'm certain it was all correct when I first posted the above text!)

Edited by JimLucas

(Hey, is somebody messing with time, again? mad.gif I'm certain it was all correct when I first posted the above text!)

Oh dear that was me, I stepped on an anthill during my last visit to the Appalachian Orogeny. By the way didn't we all have jetpacks before I went back?